PDA

View Full Version : where do I stand with removing my name off bank account?

streaky
18-01-2011, 13:38
Getting my name removed from joint bank account?
Any help would be great as im at my wits end!! me and my on off boyfriend had/have a joint account with him being the main party. In Nov last year we were 'off' so I told him I want my name removed from his account so we went in branch and spoke to the manageress on how to do it. The account was £500 overdrawn which we all knew about and the manageress asked my off boyfriend if he was willing to take on the debt which he agreed to and him, myself and the manageress signed the form. Then the next day we had a letter addressed only to my off boyfriend stating "due to him requesting to remove me from the the account, and the account being converted into his sole name they are removing the overdraft facility in Jan and any unauthorised borrowing after this date will incur normal interest and charges". I did read this letter and saw that it states "due to the account being converted into his sole name" and thought well they are removing the overdraft and that's his problem. well 3 months on and they are still not taking me off the account. They are saying as it is overdrawn they are unable to remove me. I have told them that there was no mention that the account had to be at zero in order to take me off and the manageress never mention this. They said they apologise for this and that we had a letter the next day. This letter mentions nothing about removing me or why they cannot remove me, or the overdraft needs paying off 1st and it clearly says that due to his request to remove me they are just removing the overdraft due to the account being converted into his sole name!! Plus he signed in branch before this saying he was willing to take the debt on but the bank keep saying as my name is on the account that we are both liable for the debt which is now £2500!! I dont even have a card! I have spoke to them numerous times and gone in branch god knows how many times and no one knows whats going on they just keep saying you had a letter and they cannot remove me! A letter that states nothing about me having any problems about coming off the account. Im currently waiting for them to ring me back which can take 5 days!!! why I dont know. Any advise would be great because I dont know what else I can do??
im new so sorry if I havent posted in correct place.

Kymmy
18-01-2011, 13:54
Welcome to the forum, thread moved to the correct forum :)

MovedGoalPosts
18-01-2011, 14:33
Trouble is that if it is seen as a joint account, it will be seen as a joint debt i.e. both of you are liable, hence why they can't remove you from the account.

I would suggest you write, don't just rely on calling into the branch, and advise that no further withdrawals or payments from the account are to be allowed. That might at least give you some space to work out how the account can be cleared. You'll need to tell your "boyfriend" that you are doing this as he will need to set up a new account in his own name for all new banking transactions.

Welshchris
19-01-2011, 00:35
Rob some banks if they can prove it wasnt them that withdrew the cash and they had split up at the time will take this into account.

A friend of mine split from his long term boyfriend and moved out of the house and they were going to sell it, because the split was on bad terms before he managed to get his name off the account not only had his ex emptied the account of all his money including that months pay but had also had run up the over draft to maximum.

He reported it to the bank and the bank advised him to report it as a theft to the police which he did and when the Police investigated it there was CCTV evidence of his ex removing the money.