PDA

View Full Version : no spark

colincook123
18-01-2011, 13:07
hi guys new to this i was wondering if there is anybody out there can give me advice i have a vauxhall vectra last year it was running perfectly now i cant get it to start it is cranking over ok but there is no spark coming from the spark plugs ive had the battery in and out a few time could this be something to do with the problem its an r reg

Wicked_and_Crazy
18-01-2011, 14:10
could be many things, ECU issue, crank sensor fault, Immobilisor fault

raging bull
18-01-2011, 14:15
Forget the battery if the engine turns over quickly. - Has the car been allowed to stand for a long time in the cold wet weather?
I am not familiar with your particular car, does your car have a distributor - follow back from spark lead to where all leads connect - cylindrical item with 1 central lead.
If so check condition of rotating connector, then do a check further back checking as you go.
If you don't know anything, best bet is to get assistance from someone who knows more about the workings of an engine, and be prepared to get their hands mucky.

Taf
18-01-2011, 14:37
My Skoda failed the same way after running perfectly for 15 years with regular servicing. 2 weeks laid up due to the snow and ice and it turned over but didn't start. Techie found the immobiliser relay had died.

The options were "snip and join 2 wires to take the immobiliser out of use" or "dismantle the entire dashboard to get at the immobilser, change the relay, then reassemble the dashboard".

It was 10 minutes' labour against 3 hours' labour, plus time to wait for the replacement relay.

No contest.

Gary L
18-01-2011, 15:30
What year is the car? you can try a pedal test to see what faults it may be registering.

It'll be the paper clip test on yours.
http://www.topbuzz1.carenthusiasts.co.uk/info/fault_codes/fault_codes.htm

budwieser
18-01-2011, 18:35
hi guys new to this i was wondering if there is anybody out there can give me advice i have a vauxhall vectra last year it was running perfectly now i cant get it to start it is cranking over ok but there is no spark coming from the spark plugs ive had the battery in and out a few time could this be something to do with the problem its an r reg

Sounds like the car may have been immobilsed when you disconnected the battery. You may need the Immobiliser reset.
I`ve known quite a few cars do this when alarmed/immobilised and the battery has gone flat.
Possibly the crank sensor.

Gary L
18-01-2011, 18:44
Is it the key type with the transponder in for the immobiliser? does the ECU/engine light flash when you try to turn it over?

budwieser
18-01-2011, 18:48
Is it the key type with the transponder in for the immobiliser? does the ECU/engine light flash when you try to turn it over?

Are you thinking possibly the remote battery has gone flat?

Gary L
18-01-2011, 19:02
No, there's a little chip inside the key fob. if it's not talking to the car or it's missing. the immobiliser won't (release) car won't start and the flashing light tells you that's the problem.
the remote battery on the vauxhalls is just for central locking.