PDA

View Full Version : Self harming - Advice please.

Hom3r
16-01-2011, 13:58
This is not me.

One of my XBL friends was talking to me last night about death/cutting himself again, I didn't know what to say.

Some background of what he has told me about himself, his birth mother left when he was a baby, and his father remarried and he refers to her as "mum", his Birth mum got back in touch recently and wanted him to go and live with her in New York. I told him he would be stupid to do that as he doesn't know her. He will now spend two month there in the summer and he's going with his step mum.

So what should I next time he talks like that, and what can I tell his GF as the asked me a similar question.

Zing
16-01-2011, 14:01
he has to get professional help. The only problem is chances are he will refuse. There is very little you can do other than be there for him and be honest with his family/girlfriend if you have contact with them cuz really as he is really only a virtual friend its not your responsability

Delta Whiskey
16-01-2011, 14:05
You need to strongly suggest he sees his Doctor urgently, he really needs professional help.

Maggy
16-01-2011, 16:51
This is not me.

One of my XBL friends was talking to me last night about death/cutting himself again, I didn't know what to say.

Some background of what he has told me about himself, his birth mother left when he was a baby, and his father remarried and he refers to her as "mum", his Birth mum got back in touch recently and wanted him to go and live with her in New York. I told him he would be stupid to do that as he doesn't know her. He will now spend two month there in the summer and he's going with his step mum.

So what should I next time he talks like that, and what can I tell his GF as the asked me a similar question.

My professional advice as an educator is that self harm needs dealing with by an expert and the doctor should be the first place to seek help.You don't say what age he is.If he is at school or in college or at University he can seek help from one of the staff who can arrange counselling for him from their regular trained staff.Otherwise it is his doctor he should speak to.

Tuftus
16-01-2011, 16:52
What they said ^^^

Having witnessed someone self harm first hand, up close with a serrated knife I really cannot recommend it as a pleasant experience.

Get them to a Doctor asap!

Hom3r
16-01-2011, 17:26
They are 15 and live in Northern Ireland. I will contact his GF who I will try and get me to help.

Maggy
16-01-2011, 18:07
They are 15 and live in Northern Ireland. I will contact his GF who I will try and get me to help.

Then maybe his teachers can help with arranging some counselling.?