PDA

View Full Version : Ravenheat boiler probs

nic4000
14-01-2011, 20:24
Hi everyone,

Wondering if anyone can give me some advice on my boiler!
I have a Ravenheat comi boiler and the pilot light keeps going out!

It will stay lite for a few mins then go out and then will sometimes relight itself. I had a new fan put on it a few months ago because it had apparently got itself jammed in some way and that was stopping it from lighting at all.
Since having that put in its bin working fine untill the last few days iv notice the pilot light goin off and on again!

Could anyone tell me why this is happening and is it expensive to fix?
Thanks

Lord Nikon
14-01-2011, 21:52
One of four things.

1) Fan
2) PCB
3) Air flow pressure switch
4) Flame sensor

If it's the flame sensor it's not too bad, the other 3 I would have to check prices on. Do you have a maintenance contract with your energy supplier for boiler repairs?

nic4000
15-01-2011, 16:49
yeah i took british gas brake down cover after forking out 200 quid on a new fan for it a couple of months ago but they have a flat fee of £100 and im hoping the problem could be fixed for less than that! Or am i just wishfull thinking on that one?

Lord Nikon
16-01-2011, 11:09
trace the wiring back from the pressure switch to the PCB and use a meter to see if it switches when the fan's running, if it doesn't switch then change the pressure switch. Anything else is likely to be more than 100 to replace unless it's the flame sensor.

Peter_
16-01-2011, 11:22
yeah i took british gas brake down cover after forking out 200 quid on a new fan for it a couple of months ago but they have a flat fee of £100 and im hoping the problem could be fixed for less than that! Or am i just wishfull thinking on that one?
Might be best just to bite the bullet and call them in as they are qualified and insured to repair the equipment unlike yourself.

nic4000
16-01-2011, 13:42
Thanks nikon,youve bin a great help but like masque said i think im gunna have to bite the bullet and get BG out cos think this prob is way outta my reach of fixing safely myself.
Really appriecate your advice and help though.

Peter_
16-01-2011, 16:14
Thanks nikon,youve bin a great help but like masque said i think im gunna have to bite the bullet and get BG out cos think this prob is way outta my reach of fixing safely myself.
Really appriecate your advice and help though.
That is the best thing as you see enough gas explosion horror stories, unless you are a qualified gas fitter always get the professionals in.:)

Lord Nikon
17-01-2011, 02:28
Hence I wouldn't have him check the pressure / modulation / combustion efficiency of the boiler, but a faulty pressure switch is easier to do and doesn't involve touching a gas line. For the electronics side as long as you don't touch a gas line you don't need gas-safe certification.

Peter_
17-01-2011, 07:17
Hence I wouldn't have him check the pressure / modulation / combustion efficiency of the boiler, but a faulty pressure switch is easier to do and doesn't involve touching a gas line. For the electronics side as long as you don't touch a gas line you don't need gas-safe certification.
I am talking about him being unsure of what he is looking at, if unsure go with a professional everytime.;)