PDA

View Full Version : First time install across block paving

goalhanger
14-01-2011, 10:01
Hello , first post .
I am thinking of the VM fibre optic BB TV and Telephone install.Only problem is the cable install. I have about 30ft of block paving to cross . Would I be better to get the block layer back to put in a tube for the VM installers ?
If so where does he get the right tubing and how does he know where to start the tube at the boundary ?
I also wish for an extra box which is a tricky run - I do have an ethernet cable already routed but that took an hour or so.How will the VM installers deal with this ?

Thank you very much in advance for any advance as I am being seriously hassled by my kids about the current BT broadband unreliability .

Phil

goalhanger
17-01-2011, 10:55
Just tried to 'chat' to assistant on the virgin website but didn't seem to understand . Are they English?
I just need to know where to run a tube to at the boundary and where do I get the tube .The assistant said that Virgin wouldn't supply it for me to lay .So how do I do it . they dont seem to want to get it sorted just for you to sign up and take your money .
:(

JayJay
18-01-2011, 19:44
We wouldnt lift your block paving. The best thing you can do is pop down to B&Q or somewhere like and get a tube and run it in already so the cable can be laid.

OR, Get the paver and VM in at the same time so they can work together :)

joglynne
18-01-2011, 20:53
JayJay, in all honesty what odds would you give that even if you could tie down both parties to appear on the same day that VM would tun up as arranged? :)

Best go the tubing route and don't forget to put a draw string in place so that the installer can pull his cable through. Oh and copious supplies of Chocolate biscuits wouldn't go amiss either. :D

jungleguy
19-01-2011, 05:42
Just tried to 'chat' to assistant on the virgin website but didn't seem to understand . Are they English?
I just need to know where to run a tube to at the boundary and where do I get the tube .The assistant said that Virgin wouldn't supply it for me to lay .So how do I do it . they dont seem to want to get it sorted just for you to sign up and take your money .
:(

I've heard the assistant you chatted to is based in USA!!!, outsourced.

try this form
https://shop.virginmedia.com/homevisit/

goalhanger
19-01-2011, 07:27
Thanks for the info guys. I will get some tubing and speak to the block layer to get it installed.

I just then need to sort out the routing indoors to one of the 2 bedrooms that are having a box installed .

Thanks again.

Dai
19-01-2011, 08:50
I ran a tube in advance under my paved car park, with a nylon pullcord in place. The installers were delighted and had no issues at all with someone else doing some of the 'heavy lifting'.

goalhanger
25-01-2011, 13:45
For info:
I now have afternoon booking for Virgin install and Block paver coming in morning same day to prepare channel for cable. Then hopefully later in afternoon to replace blocks . Block layer says he will lay blocks over cable on lean mix so that the weight of the cars doesnt compress the tubing and damage the cable.
All I have to do now is find a route to the bedrooms which the Virgin guys can manage to lay a cable through !!

Just hoping it all goes to plan.

By the way my 2 boys have just signed up for Lovefilm amd it allows for 2 people in the same addresss to download and seems like it might be a better bet than either Sky Movies or PictureBox.

jungleguy
25-01-2011, 23:43
I've got a bad feeling about this.

goalhanger
26-01-2011, 07:11
Why???
Are the Virgin installers not very good at time keeping ?? or is there another problem ??

I am an optimistic person so I am still feeling good ;o)

jungleguy
26-01-2011, 07:57
worse case scenario is:
there is a pre inspection team that will turn up a few days before install, see the block paving and put card through you're letter box stating the address is non serve, and cancel your order.

You could ring customer services and try and explain to an outsourced employee the problem and they will endeavor to get you off the phone and make no effort to relay this info to VM sub contractors. While reassuring you everything is fine.

again this is all worst case scenario, lol

goalhanger
08-02-2011, 16:06
Well finally the day arrives and all worked like clockwork. Block layer came at 8am and removed blocks to create nice hole for Virgin, then went off to do another quick job. Virgin arrived bang on time after calling to say they were on their way. Block layer arrived back at same time , and as they were laying the cable he was covering it up .
Virgin installers fitted 3 V+ boxes , phone and broadband( 50Mb) in 2 hours including going into cellar and 2 lofts .
Alarm guy turned up just after to move alarm wiring to new Virgin phone point .

AND it all works . 50Mb on laptop by wireless through superhub.

Now have fingers crossed it continues working.

One thing though - I ordered the Picture Box and not Sky Movies .When my family checked through the lists of films I ended up phoning Virgin and adding the Sky Movies Collection on .I will cancel Picture Box at the end of the free 2 months .( P.Box has hardly any new films at all )

Thanks for all your comments .

weesteev
08-02-2011, 16:16
Glad to hear it all went well goalhanger!

:)