PDA

View Full Version : About a Shop

CIS
13-01-2011, 19:04
Having moved to what is a fiber area and knowing the shop directly under me has 50meg. I'm told that I cannot have it because I live above street level.

Looking at it, it would only be an extra 3 meters of cable up the wall, which the guy in the shop would not have a problem with.

Anyone else?, anyway around?, any help/advice would be great?!

Thank you..

Peter_
13-01-2011, 20:47
You could filling in the Spotters Form in the link below.

http://shop.virginmedia.com/unserviceable-address

Nopanic
13-01-2011, 20:50
Get the fella in the shop to have his cable routed up to your flat and split the service cost with him :)

MovedGoalPosts
14-01-2011, 15:34
Get the fella in the shop to have his cable routed up to your flat and split the service cost with him :)

Apart from the fact that doing so would be against the terms of servce :erm:

On a more serious note, we've seen discussions elsewhere on here that anything above ground storey becomes a problem due to ladder height. But in property where there is more than one owner there may also be other leagal implications for easements of cables being run over parts of a buiolding or land that are not directly controlled by the end user. The spotter line quoted above is the best way forward for the definitive answer.

qasdfdsaq
14-01-2011, 16:27
Interesting, I've lived in flats in Edinburgh for over 6 years, all of which have been cabled (or I've had cabled), many of which have been on 3rd, or 4th floor or more. They usually drill outwards and just let the cable hang down and connect it up at the ground on the bottom. Never had to get a spotter out personally, even on 1st floor+ installs. Maybe I've just been lucky...

Taf
14-01-2011, 16:55
We were cabled in our 11th floor flat... they had to core-bore through 10 inches of concrete on each floor to get up to us!

telfordcable
14-01-2011, 18:00

don't think virgin media won't allow this

Peter_
14-01-2011, 18:02
don't think virgin media won't allow this
You did see the smiley I take it.;)

CIS
14-01-2011, 23:56
You could filling in the Spotters Form in the link below.

http://shop.virginmedia.com/unserviceable-address

What does filling out the form do and has it helped people who live above ground before?

I've already talked to virgin on the phone and they said if "it's not on their system, they cannot book it as a job" So will it just be a case of them offering me (again) ADSL service and phone line?

OR

Will they do something cool like call round and really see if it's a do-able job?

Thanks.

pip08456
15-01-2011, 00:01
They'll send a spotter round to have a look. Could take a few weeks depending on how busy they are in your area.

Peter_
15-01-2011, 07:19
What does filling out the form do and has it helped people who live above ground before?

I've already talked to virgin on the phone and they said if "it's not on their system, they cannot book it as a job" So will it just be a case of them offering me (again) ADSL service and phone line?

OR

Will they do something cool like call round and really see if it's a do-able job?

Thanks.
The Spotters job is to check if it is feasible to actually install services at properties such as yours so fill out the form and cross your fingers.

CIS
15-01-2011, 20:25
Good stuff, thank you.

Filled in.