PDA

View Full Version : Freeview with no aerial?..

BarnUnit
09-01-2011, 16:20
Hey, just bought a new T.V with freeview built in, but I am in a listed property with no aerial cable and was wondering if a set top aerial would suffice.

I put my postcode into www.wolfbane.com and received the following results:

Transmitter = Black Hill

1 (PSB 1): UHF - 41, ERP W - 20k
BBC A

2 (PSB 2): UHF - 47, ERP W - 20k
D 3 & 4

A (COM 1): UHF - 44, ERP W - 20k
SDN

B (PSB 3): UHF - 51, ERP W - 20k
BBC B

C(COM 2): UHF - 55, ERP W - 20k
Arqiva A

D (COM 3): UHF - 65, ERP W - 20k
Arqiva B

Gp - E
Pol - H
OS grid ref. - NS828647
Field dBµV/m - 55
Distance miles - 13
Bearing degrees - 91
Antenna (suggestion) - Hi-Gain

I was hoping someone would be able to interpret them for me as I genuinely have no idea what it is I'm looking at.
Also advice on best aerials would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

vanman
09-01-2011, 16:33
as you need a Hi-Gain a set top aerial will not be good enough

nodrogd
09-01-2011, 17:06
I would say using a set top aerial at that distance would require it to be positioned in a window with direct and unobstructed line of sight to Black Hill. A rooftop aerial is the best bet in all situations, as indoor aerials can be an absolute pain with people moving about and household electrical interference.

v0id
09-01-2011, 17:45
Is there anything stopping you putting a 'rooftop' aerial in the loft?

Chris
09-01-2011, 18:10
AFAIK you don't need listed building consent to put a 'normal' UHF TV aerial on the roof of a listed building.

James_Watt
09-01-2011, 18:53
Hello BarnUnit.
The restriction on a listed building regarding aerials, would be to do with external ones.

According to the information you supplied indicates you require a 'Group E' aerial mounted in a 'Horizontal' plane pointed in the direction of the Transmitter Site (Black Hill).

I suggest you get an aerial of suitable size (fits comfortably in the roof space, e.g. 18 element) and add a Pre-Amplifier (470-890MHz) to make up for the signal loss caused by the roof.

I use a Group C/D and Pre-Amp for my situation. It is a standard one (not erroneously called a 'Digital aerial') When I checked my Post Code for suitability, I was informed "Not Available For Your Area". Pile of poo!! I've had Freeview for 7 years!!

Good luck with your purchase, please let us know how you get on.

Kind regards James

LSainsbury
09-01-2011, 19:20
An indoor aerial will not work at all - been there - done it - tried it - twice. Both times - hardly any signal to get a good signal. You'll need a roof aerial (or aerial in the loft).

nodrogd
09-01-2011, 23:47
I'm not against loft aerials, but they come with their own pitfalls (metal water tanks and lead work). If you decide to DIY a loft aerial install, I would go for a High gain Group B aerial. Group E aerials are harder to get hold of and can be more expensive. You would probably lose the Mux D channels until June when Black Hill goes fully digital, and then all channels will fall neatly into Group B. Try without a pre-amp first. You can always install one afterword if you need to.

thedavid2007
08-04-2011, 04:59
I have 2 philex megaboost aerials in my loft and get all freeview channels. The signal quality is excellent. These aerials have a masthead amplifier and power supply. You can connect up to 4 freeview set top boxes to the aerial. Don't buy from B&Q as they are about £45 upwards. You can get them online elsewhere for £17.