PDA

View Full Version : How to get VM to do a re-pull

RB2004
07-01-2011, 17:38
Hi,

How can I get VM to do a repull on the drop cable from their cabinet to the house?

Reason being, been with them for about 3-4 years now.. and when I had it first installed the engineer said about a weak signal.. needed a bigger cable putting in.. presumebly RG11? rather than the RG6... so he arranged for somebody to come down and do a re-pull.

Person came down, and said they didnt have the cable on the van, didnt really seem to know why they was there to be honest... messed around down the road, said we have moved the cable up a few in the pit/cabinet.. problem fixed.

then few months later still having problems.. apparently moved up again.

but it occurs to me this is not a proper solution to the problem, because im still getting signal problems every now again.. for about 3 months at 1 point was even experiencing poor picture quality on a couple of channels.. and I have 3 boxes, soon to be 4.. and their 50mbit service.

and whenever they "apparently" fix the signal problems by moving it up.. a couple of months later the same problem comes back... got fed up with complaining about it and now just settle for it as it is.. but clearly not right.

jb66
07-01-2011, 18:06
You will be getting high end drop off, higher frequencys loose signal quicker than low. A tech has to book it in but they have to prove you need it to their principal technician. It seems your being put on the top tap and then another tech is coming out and moving you back to a lower tap to help his customer

---------- Post added at 18:06 ---------- Previous post was at 17:43 ----------

You will be getting high end drop off, higher frequencys loose signal quicker than low. A tech has to book it in but they have to prove you need it to their principal technician. It seems your being put on the top tap and then another tech is coming out and moving you back to a lower tap to help his customer

Your line won't support another box, you'll need rg11 or an hdu

RB2004
07-01-2011, 18:06

Seems likely yes, because the problem keeps re-occuring.

annoying thing is, the original engineer who did the install said I had weak signal problems, booked out another techniciain to do a repull with presumebly RG11 cable.

then the engineer turns up.. doesnt have the cable in the van..didnt really have a clue what he was supposed to be doing, explained to him his reason for being there but his solution was to move it up on the tap, rather than come back with the correct cable and do the job.. presumebly because moving it up was less work and its too much hastle for them to come back with the correct cable...

At that point, I only had 2 boxes plus 10mbit broadband... then last year I added a 3rd box.. and that was when I had signal problems again and got moved up on the tap.

probably wouldnt be so bad if i just had 1 box.. but ive got 3 at the moment, plus 50mbit.. going to get a 4th maybe sometime this year.. 100mbit when available and tivo.. so its not really acceptable any more... last box I had, had to get them back and even that I dont know what the engineer was playing at... he had RG6 cable on it, but wasnt happy with how they drill through a wall and tapped off from another room so.. i got them back... then he changed the cable from the isolator on the wall to the box to RG59.. was really noticably thinner, from what Ive read virgin media rent even using RG59 now?? so why he did that I dont know.. everywhere else in the house is RG6 and that box was originally RG6, so had to put that right... RG59 was probably sufficient, and not a problem just begs the question why change from RG6 to RG59... effectively downgraded the cable.

but as you said, some other engineers are probably moving it back down again hence the re-occuring problem.. and also lol every time they move me up, probably some other person down the road with the same problem is having the same problem as I am.

jb66
07-01-2011, 18:14
Yeah your probably right, for some reason Installers have rg59 and service rg6. Only benefit I can see is rg59 is more flexible so maybe easier for running along Walls. It seems your signal is borderline so when you get your next box something drastic will have to be done

RB2004
07-01-2011, 19:28
Yeah your probably right, for some reason Installers have rg59 and service rg6. Only benefit I can see is rg59 is more flexible so maybe easier for running along Walls. It seems your signal is borderline so when you get your next box something drastic will have to be done

lol, you say that, but the same person who installed the box the first time was the same person who changed it from RG6 to RG59

wasnt a new install, got them down just to add an extra box.. but they drilled through the wall and tapped off from another room.

So I complained, said I wanted them to take it from the brown box outside and run cables on the outside.

Then they sent the same guy back round who installed it with his manager/superviser or something to make sure it was put right.. and that was when he changed it from RG6 to RG59 from the box.. no idea why because he would of had a nice long length of RG6 to use which he originally put through the wall to the other room... only explanation I can think of is.. he saved the long bit to use on another job to save cutting a new length off the roll.. and had the RG59 as an offcut and shoved that on.

Probably will need something doing, just annoying that if they shoved in the RG11 like they should of done when the first engineer said about signal problems wouldnt be getting these problems now.

Also when it was installed, they didnt even use the green corrugated pipe.. just buried the cable in the garden with no protection