PDA

View Full Version : Water Irrigation System

Barewolf
06-01-2011, 17:57
I’m looking to set up an irrigation system for my allotment this year, which will also use a micro irrigation system for the greenhouse.

I already have a 50 meter Hozelock reinforced hosepipe running from the outside tap down to the greenhouse which still has about 10 meters spare.

I have also installed a Hozelock Y connector half way up the allotment which I used last year to connect a second spray gun to make watering easier.

My trouble with just installing a sprinkler is that I have already tried to do this, and I found that they didn’t reach the whole of my plots, ie; cover them sufficiently.

This year, I plan to rig up a system using cut off valves, timers, and micro irrigation and micro Sprinklers.

Q1 – How do you connect a 13mm Supply Pipe to a standard Hozelock Connector? (See image 1)

Q2 – How do I connect a Water timer to a Hozelock Connector (See image 2), the timer shows a connector for a “Tap” at the top, which won’t fit into a standard connector like in image 1.

Basically, Just outside my Greenhouse, I plan to add a water timer to my existing Hosepipe, and then run some hosepipe into the greenhouse where I can set up my Micro Irrigation system. This is at the very bottom of the Garden and Allotment. I want to be able to have the timer come on separately for the greenhouse than it would be for the allotment, especially if I'm away for a few days.

So I figured if I could attach a separate timer then I could have the greenhouse water system activate when the weather will be hottest during the day.

I would have another timer on the tap which would activate to water the allotment.

Any help much appreciated

Taf
06-01-2011, 18:08
Rather than use mains pressure water to irrigate, use it to fill a large rainwater butt, then drain the butt to the plants via the irrigation tubing... and water not at the hottest part of the day, but last thing in the evening/first thing in the morning (it saves water loss by evaporation). Several mates do this using WC ballcock valves in the butts.

All timers I have seen have the "tap connector" on them and I've never seen an adapter for it to connect to a hoseline. Maybe you would be better off installing your own standpipe with tap attached? But ask the allotment boss first... some have strict rules about water use as some allotment holders use so much constantly that it drops the pressure for everyone.... and increases the cost!

Barewolf
06-01-2011, 18:18
I dont have a water butt, and this is on my allotment in the garden.

I suppose i could get round the problem by having a timer on the tap and having the whole system rigged up with cut off valves, that way i could cut the water to the greenhouse during the day whilst the rest of the allotment is watered via the timer.

however, with this idea it means if i forgot to turn the valve on again then my greenhouse wouldnt get watered the next morning.

Hom3r
06-01-2011, 19:15
Is there such a thing as a solar powered valve / timer thingy?

Barewolf
06-01-2011, 19:26
Ive not seen any, but the battery powered ones last about 3 years i think, specially if they are rechargable ones.

Taf
06-01-2011, 20:16
I have the Hozelock one. I set to water twice a day over 2 weeks holiday... batteries went flat 2 days after we got back... Duracells. Valve stayed open, plants flooded...

Barewolf
06-01-2011, 20:55
Im getting the AC Hozelock Pro with rain sensor, It says the batteries last 12 months but they are C type so you can buy rechargable ones, 4000 mAh should last at least 3 years compared to normal ones, but it would be no issue to replace them every spring as it only takes 1 hour to charge them.