PDA

View Full Version : Spain Introduces Tough New Smoking Ban

Peter_
03-01-2011, 19:57
Spain Introduces Tough New Smoking Ban. (http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/World-News/Smoking-Ban-In-Spain-Spaniards-Introduce-One-Of-Europes-Toughest-Anti-Cigarette-Laws/Article/201101115878324?lpos=World_News_News_Your_Way_Regi on_2&lid=NewsYourWay_ARTICLE_15878324_Smoking_Ban_In_Sp ain%3A_Spaniards_Introduce_One_Of_Europes_Toughest _Anti-Cigarette_Laws)

People complain about the UK smoking ban but Spain's is even tougher.

Spain has introduced one of Europe's toughest smoking bans that even prohibits lighting up in open spaces like children's playgrounds and outside hospitals.
Fines for breaking the ban, which took effect at midnight on January 2, range from a modest £25 (30 euros) to £513,800 (600,000 euros).

Chris
03-01-2011, 20:29
I wish they'd introduce that here. British hospital entrances have got to be one of the most unhealthy places on earth now, with the number of diseased people that hang around them filling the air with smoke. :sick:

Peter_
03-01-2011, 20:32
I wish they'd introduce that here. British hospital entrances have got to be one of the most unhealthy places on earth now, with the number of diseased people that hang around them filling the air with smoke. :sick:
The is supposed to be no smoking on hospital grounds and they all have the signs to show for it, but you will see patients on drips just outside doors with their visitors chugging away on a cigarette and only the staff standing outside the boundaries smoking.

Sirius
03-01-2011, 20:36
I wish they'd introduce that here. British hospital entrances have got to be one of the most unhealthy places on earth now, with the number of diseased people that hang around them filling the air with smoke. :sick:Try walking out the back of our building in Manchester to get to your car. There is a constant cloud of cigarette smoke from all the smokers in the smoking area which is right outside the rear entrance to the building so you cannot miss it :mad:

superbiatch
03-01-2011, 20:45
The is supposed to be no smoking on hospital grounds and they all have the signs to show for it, but you will see patients on drips just outside doors with their visitors chugging away on a cigarette and only the staff standing outside the boundaries smoking.

At a hospital I work within the smoking policy clearly states no smoking on the premises by staff, visitors or patients - yet they've just erected a smoking shelter outside the main entrance. Their excuse is the builder (its a new hospital) had it in the plans :(

Peter_
03-01-2011, 20:47
At a hospital I work within the smoking policy clearly states no smoking on the premises by staff, visitors or patients - yet they've just erected a smoking shelter outside the main entrance. Their excuse is the builder (its a new hospital) had it in the plans :(
It does not excuse the one outside the main doors at Fazakerley or the one at the side entrance to Alder Hey, it is pathetic.:(

superbiatch
03-01-2011, 20:49
It does not excuse the one outside the main doors at Fazakerley or the one at the side entrance to Alder Hey, it is pathetic.:(

I think it shows the hospitals are being bulled by the builders, probably the same at both those although neither is the one i'm talking about.

Peter_
03-01-2011, 20:51
I think it shows the hospitals are being bulled by the builders, probably the same at both those although neither is the one i'm talking about.
I think both were installed when the law came out and still find it amazing every time I see them.

Stuart
03-01-2011, 21:11
I find it funny. People here are moaning that people hang around entrances/exits smoking, yet also moaning when organisations provide specific areas for people to smoke.

Some people are going to smoke. More so if they are under stress (something which they may well be if they are in hospital). Surely the *logical* thing is to provide somewhere for them to do so, away from the non-smokers? No one forces non-smokers to go to them. Also doing so would probably lessen the impact on the economy (loss of taxes as people give up).

I'm a non smoker (tried it, didn't like it) but I do believe that people should be free to do so (knowing the risks) if they wish.

jrhnewark
06-01-2011, 01:25
At a hospital I work within the smoking policy clearly states no smoking on the premises by staff, visitors or patients - yet they've just erected a smoking shelter outside the main entrance. Their excuse is the builder (its a new hospital) had it in the plans :(Probably some PFI mess. I bet the shelter is costing £50,000 up front with £10,000 a year rent - and I'm not kidding!! :erm:

Taf
06-01-2011, 10:46
The anti-smokers pushed the smokers outdoors, and now want to push them again. They won't give up until tobacco revenue drops and they saddle us all with increased taxation to make up the shortfall.

Remember an ex-smoker will supposedly live longer and therefore require a pension... which this we will have to pay for too!

Hugh
06-01-2011, 11:28
Not sure if that is the best pro-smoking argument there is.....;)

Maggy
06-01-2011, 11:35
I note that Spain hasn't gone the whole way and totally banned all tobacco products as well.

Ignitionnet
06-01-2011, 12:45
I note that Spain hasn't gone the whole way and totally banned all tobacco products as well.

Unsure why this is noteworthy, that would be amazingly stupid and quite pointless.

---------- Post added at 11:45 ---------- Previous post was at 11:45 ----------

Spain Introduces Tough New Smoking Ban. (http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/World-News/Smoking-Ban-In-Spain-Spaniards-Introduce-One-Of-Europes-Toughest-Anti-Cigarette-Laws/Article/201101115878324?lpos=World_News_News_Your_Way_Regi on_2&lid=NewsYourWay_ARTICLE_15878324_Smoking_Ban_In_Sp ain%3A_Spaniards_Introduce_One_Of_Europes_Toughest _Anti-Cigarette_Laws)

People complain about the UK smoking ban but Spain's is even tougher.

Sounds reasonable so long as it's implemented appropriately.

Gary L
06-01-2011, 19:10

It's like that at the hospital by me. there's loads of people and patients all outside the entrance puffing away. it really is a funny sight to see. all that's needed is an actual bed complete with patient and drip with a couple of nurses standing aside it smoking.

I've been to places where there's no smoking on the grounds. had a good old go at the little security man telling me to put my ciggy out.

I'm blowing it out into the sky!

Maggy
06-01-2011, 20:59
Unsure why this is noteworthy, that would be amazingly stupid and quite pointless.

Sigh!
Because it would actually be the toughest ban they could invoke but then it wasn't much of a point or a joke and yes total bans never work..and yes I still resent the fact that people indulging in a legal activity get hounded for their choice of vice.

I suppose I should feel flattered you think my musings are important enough to comment on but you really ought to give someone else some attention for a while...;)

formula_86
06-01-2011, 21:34
Well, if you like what they have introduced in Spain about not smoking, why don't you go live in Spain then? :p: (Just jk) ;)

Ignitionnet
08-01-2011, 21:31
I suppose I should feel flattered you think my musings are important enough to comment on but you really ought to give someone else some attention for a while...;)

It just stood out. Nothing personal so no need to feel flattered, anyone posting something like that will get the same response. :)

basa
08-01-2011, 21:59
Try walking out the back of our building in Manchester to get to your car. There is a constant cloud of cigarette smoke from all the smokers in the smoking area which is right outside the rear entrance to the building so you cannot miss it :mad:

Probably an exaggeration! But even if not, I prefer the transient by-product of a smoker to that of a drinker - p***ing up walls, puking on the pavements, violence toward anyone who dares look at them - and that's just the slags!!

Ignitionnet
09-01-2011, 09:04
It's like that at the hospital by me. there's loads of people and patients all outside the entrance puffing away. it really is a funny sight to see. all that's needed is an actual bed complete with patient and drip with a couple of nurses standing aside it smoking.

It's kinda weird isn't it?

Still the taxes on that tobacco probably paid for a good part of the hospital, so swings and roundabouts :)

EDIT: That does assume it's not a new hospital in which case it hasn't been paid for at all yet ;)