PDA

View Full Version : Moving a V+ box

cimt
03-01-2011, 12:59
I've phoned up Virgin and asked about moving one of my V+ boxes into a different room. I was told that it would cost £99 to have it moved. This can't be right, I paid less than that last year for the box and installation. The person on the phone said it'd be better just cancelling the box and having a new one installed. The thing is we're in contract till September/October because that's when I got the box installed. Can't I get the box moved for cheaper?

Thanks,

Craig

MovedGoalPosts
03-01-2011, 13:48
Installations often are done at a lower cost fee because VM can then look forward to the subscription. There is no such beneifit to them if they are moving kit about.

Cancellation and then a new installation would leave you without service for a few months as I recall many posting on here that there is a delay interval to stop reinstallation being abused for people getting discounted deals.

Do you have a second V box? if not it might be possible to get one added? That would give you an installation into the new room and allow you to relocate the V+ to that leaving the V box in the old room. Of course you would pay an additional monthly charge for the added box and it would restart your 12 month contract.

martyh
03-01-2011, 14:09
I've phoned up Virgin and asked about moving one of my V+ boxes into a different room. I was told that it would cost £99 to have it moved. This can't be right, I paid less than that last year for the box and installation. The person on the phone said it'd be better just cancelling the box and having a new one installed. The thing is we're in contract till September/October because that's when I got the box installed. Can't I get the box moved for cheaper?

Thanks,

Craig

could you not do it yourself it is quite easy .Where has the box got to moved in relation to where it is now?

cimt
03-01-2011, 14:27
Do you have a second V box? if not it might be possible to get one added? That would give you an installation into the new room and allow you to relocate the V+ to that leaving the V box in the old room. Of course you would pay an additional monthly charge for the added box and it would restart your 12 month contract.
Got 2 V+ boxes and a V box.
could you not do it yourself it is quite easy .Where has the box got to moved in relation to where it is now?

I'm thinking of doing that. I'd literally be moving the box from one side of the house to the other. It'd also be on a different floor.

Peter_
03-01-2011, 16:11
I'm thinking of doing that. I'd literally be moving the box from one side of the house to the other. It'd also be on a different floor.
Thats big job which requires an engineer as you could affect the signal levels in your road if done incorrectly so £99 sound sweet considering where you want to move the box.

I would though consider getting a 4th box fitted instead as the engineer will fit it exactly where you want it and probably relocate the V+ for a bacon sarnie.

martyh
03-01-2011, 16:35
Thats big job which requires an engineer as you could affect the signal levels in your road if done incorrectly so £99 sound sweet considering where you want to move the box.

I would though consider getting a 4th box fitted instead as the engineer will fit it exactly where you want it and probably relocate the V+ for a bacon sarnie.

yes it a big job that ,i had more in mind of a short cable through the wall ,but accross the house and up a floor is a bit different

JayJay
03-01-2011, 18:52
If you look at it this way, its £99 for any kind of engineer call out (non fault + install), or you can pay £106 over 12 months (£5.50pm (has it gone up?) + £40 install fee). You are better off getting an additional box in the long run as you're getting more for your money. You may even get the install fee waved, you never know what deals are on, saving you even more!

cimt
03-01-2011, 22:19
How would it effect the signal levels? Surely a longer cable won't have an effect on the levels?

Peter_
03-01-2011, 22:32
How would it effect the signal levels? Surely a longer cable won't have an effect on the levels?
It can cause noise on the network which can affect the street and can be problematic for the engineers to trace at which point you can be disconnected until your cabling is repaired satisfactorily as I expect jayjay will mention when he reads this thread.

As k about a 4th box as that may be the best bet all round.

spiderplant
03-01-2011, 22:35
It most certainly does. See http://www.w4rp.com/ref/coax.html.

If you add extra connectors you lose a lot more.

Chris
03-01-2011, 22:40
What it really comes down to is, how long your cable extension is, how competently you make up the cable with the required f-plugs at either end, and how close to the limit your signal levels already are.

Years ago, when I had NTL broadband installed, the tech left me enough spare cable to go up the wall, through the loft and down again to the opposite corner of the house, in case I wanted to move the modem later. I eventually used this cable without causing any issues.

You *can* cause your signal levels to drift outside of tolerances by altering your cable length, but it is entirely likely that you *won't*. For the price of a length of cable and a couple of f-plugs, personally I'd go ahead and do it. It's worth the punt. If it knocks your service out, simply restore everything to the way it was and consider whether moving your box is worth £100 to you.