PDA

View Full Version : Petrol forecourts profiteering

alferret
01-01-2011, 09:41
Strange how duty goes up by 0.76p per ltr yet forecourts have put up their prices by 1p. I know that its only 0.24p but over the market that has to be 10's of thousands of £'s if not more, us poor motorists are being fleeced of. Add to that the 2.5% increase on Tuesday it will cost me £78 to fill my tank up from £67 last year.
I remember the conservatives (Cameron) saying that he would make sure that fuel prices didnt increase as much as had been happening under labour and that duty would be variable to keep the cost of fuel stable. Not seen any mention of that recently by the conservatives.
And lets not forget that as the cost per barrel increases the government takes more in duty anyway. We are being given the right royal shaft and we just sit down and take it :mad:

Julian
01-01-2011, 09:46
Al, VAT is applied to the total price INCLUDING duty to set the retail price.

So it is .76 of a penny + VAT at 17.5 %

Yes it is a tax on a tax which is why governments love duty rises.

Paul K
01-01-2011, 09:46
The barrel price is nothing to do with supply and demand as the oil companies would have us believe, they are throttling output to stimulate their own market. Add the greed of the government in wanting to wring as much out of the cash-cow as possible and you have the reason why yet again the motorist is paying. This rise and VAT rise will do nothing but put up all basic prices so watch your shopping bills increase.

alferret
01-01-2011, 09:51
Al, VAT is applied to the total price INCLUDING duty to set the retail price.

So it is .76 of a penny + VAT at 17.5 %

Yes it is a tax on a tax which is why governments love duty rises.

Ahh yes, my bad :( forgot the "tax" bit after duty. Still pretty peeved at the cost's for us motorist's.

martyh
01-01-2011, 10:25
Ahh yes, my bad :( forgot the "tax" bit after duty. Still pretty peeved at the cost's for us motorist's.

You and me both ,the problem is i won't see a rise in wages to compensate for the steadily increasing rises over the last few months ,we will also have to absorb the increased cost of tools and van maintenance

Paul K
01-01-2011, 11:28
Wage rise? What's one of those, will be lucky if both of us have wages by end of year let alone a pay rise. Nice to see that the ministers are all on the make again with their allowances, nothing changes there. Can't imagine how the oil companies and banks get away with what they do... oh hang on half of them have ministers on the payroll or are known to take ex-ministers on to their boards.

Gary L
01-01-2011, 12:31
And as usual. the petrol has been going up 'naturally' on it's own for the past few months. and now it goes up for a 'government' reason and everyone's talking about it.

Paul K
01-01-2011, 12:47
Think it's gone up about 3p per litre round here over the last month, we noticed it as we drive past the garage on the way to work every day. That added to the upcoming increase makes it a ridiculous increase in such a short time.

budwieser
01-01-2011, 15:02
Strange how duty on fuel always goes up but never comes back down again when the situation with oil changes.:erm:
I `ve not had a pay rise for over 3 years now.:mad::td:

martyh
01-01-2011, 18:16
Strange how duty on fuel always goes up but never comes back down again when the situation with oil changes.:erm:
I `ve not had a pay rise for over 3 years now.:mad::td:

Whats annoying me over this is that the company i contract to have put up their rates to compensate for the rise in vat and duty ,but the self employed fitters aren't getting a rise in rates even though we use our own vans ,tools and materials

Hom3r
01-01-2011, 19:08
From what I read that when the VAT rise hits on Tuesday, along with the duty increase the price of fuel will rise by about 3.5p per litre.

I filled up yesterday to try and say some cash.

alferret
01-01-2011, 20:37
From what I read that when the VAT rise hits on Tuesday, along with the duty increase the price of fuel will rise by about 3.5p per litre.

I filled up yesterday to try and say some cash.

Filled up my wife's car yesterday & mine today, just under £120 in total that'll be good for 2 weeks.

Jimmy-J
01-01-2011, 23:44
I had to sell my car just over a year ago, thankfully I can survive without it.

Paul K
02-01-2011, 09:21
We switched to diesel about 2 months ago, we average over 50MPG easily now so it's not quite as painful as filling up at least once a week.

papa smurf
02-01-2011, 09:38
THREE tax hikes will put 7p on a litre of unleaded petrol

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1343354/THREE-tax-hikes-7p-litre-unleaded.html#ixzz19rwvSmH3

mentalis
02-01-2011, 10:19
I am considering a change of job if I don't see a pay rise soon (keep looking down the back of the sofa but haven't found one - and Santa didn't bring one) as it's going to be too costly to commute to work.

Tuftus
03-01-2011, 20:47

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1343354/THREE-tax-hikes-7p-litre-unleaded.html#ixzz19rwvSmH3

Indeed, I was out and about earlier today and people were queing at the pumps like there was a blockade on.

All of the stations I saw were packed, I would have filled up myself if my credit card was not still quite floppy / almost molten from winter festival.

martyh
03-01-2011, 20:56
diesel users are going to suffer the most ,i can see the road haulage companies kicking off before much longer

Hom3r
03-01-2011, 22:37

That is mathematically correct but in real pence it will be closer tp 11p.:D

punky
03-01-2011, 22:52
They aren't charities so what do people expect?

I used to sell holidays and my manager made sure he extracted every single penny he could legally from the clients. As he used to say "We aren't playing shops here"

Anyway a very small amount of the price goes to the forecourt. I think it's only about a couple of pence per litre. IIRC about 2/3 goes in tax, and the rest goes to the petrol distillers for finding it, retrieving it, distilling it and shipping it around the globe.

gazfan
03-01-2011, 23:10
diesel users are going to suffer the most ,i can see the road haulage companies kicking off before much longer

I presume it is relative taxation that makes diesel cheaper than unleaded in Europe, rather than the other way round in the UK?

- considering 'most' diesel cars get better fuel consumption than petrol & are arguably 'greener' as a result, it does seem as if this is a 'stealth tax' on the haulage industry??

martyh
03-01-2011, 23:16
I presume it is relative taxation that makes diesel cheaper than unleaded in Europe, rather than the other way round in the UK?

i've no idea all i know is diesel is about 5-6p more than unleaded ,it used to be cheaper years ago .If they could drop the cost of diesel to match unleaded then the haulage and small buisnesses like me would do better as it wouldn't affect the cashflow so much

gazfan
03-01-2011, 23:37
i've no idea all i know is diesel is about 5-6p more than unleaded ,it used to be cheaper years ago .If they could drop the cost of diesel to match unleaded then the haulage and small buisnesses like me would do better as it wouldn't affect the cashflow so much

Unleaded is more expensive in many European countries - but the road fund licence is often higher for diesel engined vehicles. This means there is a mileage 'cut off' which favours using diesel engines over petrol for high mileage vehicles - e.g. hauliers ...

Gary L
04-01-2011, 13:58
Maybe we'll be up in arms about it sooner rather than later. and they'll knock 2 or 3p off and we'll have a smug grin on our face shouting power to the people!

joglynne
04-01-2011, 14:30
With petrol prices going up some members might find the following site useful as you can see at a glance where the nearest, cheapest petrol stations are in your area.

http://www.petrolprices.com/

ADD: I have been a member of this site for over a year now and it hasn't generated any spam.

edited to protect my privacy :D

Hom3r
04-01-2011, 18:51
With petrol prices going up some members might find the following site useful as you can see at a glance where the nearest, cheapest petrol stations are in your area.

http://www.petrolprices.com/

ADD: I have been a member of this site for over a year now and it hasn't generated any spam.

edited to protect my privacy :D

I second that.

dazzer89
04-01-2011, 23:01

They won't because they get all their fuel duty back every 3 months. That's the reason the fuel protests finished in 2000. Bus companies, Haulage firms and Farmers get "ALL" their fuel duty back every 3 months.

Don't let the Haulage companies and Bus comapanies fool you, that's the reason fuel duty is so high it's to pay the subsidies to the above.

Gary L
05-01-2011, 13:36
They won't because they get all their fuel duty back every 3 months. That's the reason the fuel protests finished in 2000. Bus companies, Haulage firms and Farmers get "ALL" their fuel duty back every 3 months.

Don't let the Haulage companies and Bus comapanies fool you, that's the reason fuel duty is so high it's to pay the subsidies to the above.

No wonder they're not protesting anymore.
oh well, we'll have to start one of them petition things again. they always get results.

alferret
05-01-2011, 20:24

Not that I doubt you but I dont suppose you got a link. (out of interest)

On another note drove to Southampton & back today and the variation I saw on forecourt prices was £1:23.9 to £1:34.9 for petrol, with the cheapest being near Bicester & the most expensive was Didcot way.

martyh
05-01-2011, 20:46
is it a case were the old stock should be sold under the 17.5% vat rate or am i mistaken ?

Peter_
05-01-2011, 20:53
is it a case were the old stock should be sold under the 17.5% vat rate or am i mistaken ?
You will find that as with budget changes the full charge goes on any old stock as the government would still claim it anyway.

I remember when we had the VAT increase in 1979 from 8% to 15% and the shop I worked in had to change all the price tickets to the new amount.

martyh
05-01-2011, 20:55
You will find that as with budget changes the full charge goes on any old stock as the government would still claim it anyway.

I remember when we had the VAT increase in 1979 from 8% to 15% and the shop I worked in had to change all the price tickets to the new amount.

oh right ,it was just a thought i don't where i got the idea from

Peter_
05-01-2011, 20:57
oh right ,it was just a thought i don't where i got the idea from
I wish that was true but no we have to pay through the nose as usual.;)

superbiatch
05-01-2011, 21:01

My diesel was 131.9p before :mis:

Peter_
05-01-2011, 21:03
My diesel was 131.9p before :mis:
Have you checked the Shell garage on Longmoor lane as their Unleaded was only 122.9p not sure of the diesel.:)

martyh
05-01-2011, 21:06

yep ,i 3/4 filled my tank this morning with £70 diesel ,all the silicone ,screws ect we need to buy for our job have gone up but still a flat refusal to increase our job rates ..not a happy chappy something has to give because the other fitters are just as mad as me and many will not be coming back unless the company increase the rates

---------- Post added at 21:06 ---------- Previous post was at 21:04 ----------

Have you checked the Shell garage on Longmoor lane as their Unleaded was only 122.9p not sure of the diesel.:)

we have a shell garage near us charging the same for diesel whereas morrison are 129.9 and they are usually cheaper

superbiatch
05-01-2011, 21:07

Its a bit out the way as I'm staying in Prescot atm, but i know i could have done better - i wanted the clubcard points as it was tesco but i believe morrisons in Boundary Road, St Helens is only 125.9 (thats where i work), so i'll be filling up there in future ;)

Peter_
05-01-2011, 21:10
we have a shell garage near us charging the same for diesel whereas morrison are 129.9 and they are usually cheaper
What price is the diesel by you as the 122.9p was for unleaded here.

---------- Post added at 21:10 ---------- Previous post was at 21:08 ----------

Its a bit out the way as I'm staying in Prescot atm, but i know i could have done better - i wanted the clubcard points as it was tesco but i believe morrisons in Boundary Road, St Helens is only 125.9 (thats where i work), so i'll be filling up there in future ;)
Is that the one by Pilkingtons not far from Knowsley road.

superbiatch
05-01-2011, 21:12
Is that the one by Pilkingtons not far from Knowsley road.

Thats the one, i virtually drive past it on my way to work.

martyh
05-01-2011, 21:14
actually the cheapest diesel is 124.9 (shell)one of the fitters told me this morning after i had filled up :mad: morrison are 129.9 ,the 122.9 i said in my other post is for unleaded ,other garages are around the 135 mark for diesel

Peter_
05-01-2011, 21:16
actually the cheapest diesel is 124.9 (shell)one of the fitters told me this morning after i had filled up :mad: morrison are 129.9 ,the 122.9 i said in my other post is for unleaded ,other garages are around the 135 mark for diesel
I remember when diesel was always the cheaper fuel but that has not been the case for years now.

martyh
05-01-2011, 21:17
I remember when diesel was always the cheaper fuel but that has not been the case for years now.

yep ,i don't know whats changed to make it more expensive :confused:

superbiatch
05-01-2011, 21:21

We got wise to it and all bought diesel cars :erm:

Peter_
05-01-2011, 21:23
We got wise to it and all bought diesel cars :erm:
Very likely.:erm:

martyh
05-01-2011, 21:29
i see , we were getting too much value for money ,so it was stopped

budwieser
05-01-2011, 22:38
i see , we were getting too much value for money ,so it was stopped

If its popular mate or people can`t do without it, they tax the crap out of it.:mad: Look at prescription charges.:erm:.:td:

martyh
05-01-2011, 22:42
If its popular mate or people can`t do without it, they tax the crap out of it.:mad: Look at prescription charges.:erm:.:td:

It does appear to be that way ,i remember the gov encouraging us to use diesel because they were supposed to be kinder to the enviroment ,so we do as they ask and get hammered ......we have been taken for a right bunch of mugs

Hom3r
05-01-2011, 22:44
The most I have paid for diesel is £1.31 per litre (26/04/2008) that is £5.96 per gallon

£1.33 is £5.99 a gallon.

Cobbydaler
05-01-2011, 22:56

I believe the last Labour government increased duty on diesel for 'Environmental' reasons. More particulates it was claimed. Although with modern engines I'm not sure that's true.

It's also the case that during winter months demand from the USA for heating fuel, which is basically diesel, pushes up the price.

AbyssUnderground
09-01-2011, 10:38
I fill up at Tesco because you get club card points which you get back in vouchers every so often. That makes it a little bit more worth while at least. I fill my car up and it costs £70 now (60 Litres of Diesel). It used to be a lot less as mentioned earlier in the topic.

I only average 42MPG on a good day, often more like 38. I can push 45-50MPG on a good motorway journey at 60mph. We're talking a 1.9 turbo diesel here as well, and while not the best, it is better than most petrols at least.

It just sickens me that the government is still being so damn greedy. It's only a matter of time before garages see more drive-off's, people using red diesel instead of normal, and more petty thefts because people simply don't have the money to pay for it anymore.

I was lucky, I got a small pay rise which is enough to cover the VAT increase, but despite that, times are still tough. I feel for those who aren't able to make it through the VAT increase because of the pointless greed of our government. Shame on them.

martyh
09-01-2011, 10:46
It just sickens me that the government is still being so damn greedy. It's only a matter of time before garages see more drive-off's, people using red diesel instead of normal, and more petty thefts because people simply don't have the money to pay for it anymore.

i have seen loads of check points on major roads in newcastle this week where the ministry of transport are checking for red diesel

AbyssUnderground
09-01-2011, 10:50
Yeah I've heard of those too, but it still doesn't stop people trying it. I'd never dream of it myself, because even diluting it with a dozen full tanks of normal diesel still leaves behind red diesel residue which they can detect.

superbiatch
09-01-2011, 11:33
It does appear to be that way ,i remember the gov encouraging us to use diesel because they were supposed to be kinder to the enviroment ,so we do as they ask and get hammered ......we have been taken for a right bunch of mugs

Not to mention the fact diesels are more expensive to buy, maintain and service - makes me so angry! Which reminds me mine needs servicing :(

haydnwalker
13-01-2011, 11:56
I fill up at Tesco because you get club card points which you get back in vouchers every so often. That makes it a little bit more worth while at least. I fill my car up and it costs £70 now (60 Litres of Diesel). It used to be a lot less as mentioned earlier in the topic.

I only average 42MPG on a good day, often more like 38. I can push 45-50MPG on a good motorway journey at 60mph. We're talking a 1.9 turbo diesel here as well, and while not the best, it is better than most petrols at least.

Same here (You don't drive an Audi A6 TDI by chance?) and it costs me approx £140+/month on fuel alone.

Luckily I recoup 44p/mile back from work - and were lobbying for an increase in this due to the VAT/duty rises (I work in the NHS) as looking at the AAs website, it costs 60p/mile to run a diesel car (taking everything into account not just fuel) working on 5000/year mileage and slightly less than that if you do 12000/year. So I'm not even recouping my costs at the moment as my mileage rate is supposed to take everything into account including depreciation :(

---------- Post added at 11:56 ---------- Previous post was at 11:55 ----------

...And its due the gearbox oil replacing in the next 1000 miles at a nice cost of £250! Grrr!

AbyssUnderground
13-01-2011, 12:06
No I have a Peugeot 306 :) A lot less to run than an Audi! But still expensive compared to 2 years ago.

alferret
13-01-2011, 19:37
No I have a Peugeot 306 :) A lot less to run than an Audi! But still expensive compared to 2 years ago.

I have a Pug 306 1.9TD as well :) Solid engines they are, but I'm suprised you get such a low MPG. I get around 640'ish miles to a full tank going from Mansfield to Nottingham (48mpg) & if I do a full tank on the motorway I can get well in excess of 720 miles (55mpg)

Also what urks me is that I just coughed up £112.75 for 6 months tax

AbyssUnderground
13-01-2011, 19:42
I only do 15mi each way for work, and 1/3 of it is town driving, so my MPG suffers because of that. I've never had more than 600mi from a tank, but then I've never done pure motorway driving at 60-70mph.

I'm happy as long as I can get 500-550mi from a tank/get over 40mpg.

I do the full £215 for 12 months tax, since I don't intend to get rid of my 306 just yet :) What reg is yours? You sure it's not a HDi as they get a higher MPG than the DT's.

soup dragon
13-01-2011, 20:01
slightly related - just about to change car - looking at a crossover/suv (nissan qashqai, mitsubish asx, hyundai ix35 sort of thing) question is diesel or petrol? 40 miles a day to and from work and town driving.

Julian
13-01-2011, 20:20
Not wishing to drag this off topic but if your budget will stretch to it I would consider a VW Tiguan Bluemotion. Only availabe in 2wd though.

soup dragon
13-01-2011, 21:04
would love a vw but stretching the budget too much i think

haydnwalker
14-01-2011, 09:24
slightly related - just about to change car - looking at a crossover/suv (nissan qashqai, mitsubish asx, hyundai ix35 sort of thing) question is diesel or petrol? 40 miles a day to and from work and town driving.

I would go for a diesel. The Nissan has the 1.5 DCi engine which might seem small for the cars size but its fairly nippy. Also the tax is only about £110/year and you'll get about 50mpg with just town driving and about 60mpg on the motorway.

Petrol would be more than that on tax and your fuel consumption would be much higher...

budwieser
14-01-2011, 20:20
Just paid £1.34 per litre for Diesel on the A1307!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Bloody Scandalous!:mad::td:
3 Years ago, a full tank cost me £54.00 now its £80.00.:erm::mad:

martyh
14-01-2011, 21:11
£1.30.9 at morrison tonight ,i am now paying about £130 p/w in diesel :mad:

for what i pay in a month on diesel i could probably buy a decent house

danielf
14-01-2011, 21:57
£1.30.9 at morrison tonight ,i am now paying about £130 p/w in diesel :mad:

for what i pay in a month on diesel i could probably buy a decent house

You don't get much house for £520. It might pay for a mortgage on a monthly basis though. :p:

martyh
14-01-2011, 22:12
You don't get much house for £520. It might pay for a mortgage on a monthly basis though. :p:

LOL you know what i mean

budwieser
15-01-2011, 12:34
How about this then?:erm::mad:
http://www.cambridge-news.co.uk/Home/Shock-for-drivers-as-garage-hikes-price-of-diesel-to-1449p.htm
They`ve always been dearer than others but this is crazy.
They`ve also got a sign outside the workshop saying, " Use Us Or Lose Us.!":rolleyes:

Peter_
15-01-2011, 17:14
How about this then?:erm::mad:
http://www.cambridge-news.co.uk/Home/Shock-for-drivers-as-garage-hikes-price-of-diesel-to-1449p.htm
They`ve always been dearer than others but this is crazy.
They`ve also got a sign outside the workshop saying, " Use Us Or Lose Us.!":rolleyes:
If people are that stupid or to lazy to drive elsewhere then that is up to them but I will never pay that much over the odds even if they fill it up for me.

budwieser
15-01-2011, 21:12
If people are that stupid or to lazy to drive elsewhere then that is up to them but I will never pay that much over the odds even if they fill it up for me.

Less than a mile away mate, there is Marshalls on Newmarket Road and the fuel is about 10p a litre cheaper.!:)

Peter_
15-01-2011, 21:59
Less than a mile away mate, there is Marshalls on Newmarket Road and the fuel is about 10p a litre cheaper.!:)
I am in Liverpool but we have a garage just as bad in the West Derby area.;)

Cobbydaler
21-01-2011, 22:51
The price of fuel was brought home to me today.

Didn't have much cash on me so got £5 of unleaded - less than 4 litres.

At about 9 miles per litre, which is what I get on a commute, that's 14p per mile in fuel cost alone...

alferret
22-01-2011, 17:44
I only do 15mi each way for work, and 1/3 of it is town driving, so my MPG suffers because of that. I've never had more than 600mi from a tank, but then I've never done pure motorway driving at 60-70mph.

I'm happy as long as I can get 500-550mi from a tank/get over 40mpg.

I do the full £215 for 12 months tax, since I don't intend to get rid of my 306 just yet :) What reg is yours? You sure it's not a HDi as they get a higher MPG than the DT's.

I do 16 miles each way for work 50% town & the rest on the A614 @ 50mph :) Its a 98 "R" 1.9td (not hdi) with around 96k on the clock & in dire need of an oil + filters change.
Although I would like to keep mine I'm reasonably sure it wont pass its next MOT, if it does I'll be chuffed.