PDA

View Full Version : Viewers protest at Matt Lucas and David Walliams's Show

papa smurf
28-12-2010, 10:40
Viewers protest at Matt Lucas and David Walliams's 'minstrel show': Comedy duo's new BBC spoof accused of being racist

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-1342025/David-Walliams-Matt-Lucass-BBC-spoof-Come-Fly-With-Me-accused-racism.html#ixzz19OxSQydF

did you see it ? what did you think of it ??

i thought it was hilarious ,spat my beer out a couple of times .

Kymmy
28-12-2010, 10:43
As one news reporter said they'll be people who will take offence at everything..

I really enjoyed it

Sirius
28-12-2010, 10:46
As one news reporter said they'll be people who will take offence at everything..

I really enjoyed it

Agreed.

There are too many idiots out there looking for reasons to complain because they have nothing better to do with there sad little lives.

punky
28-12-2010, 10:51
I think it is more racist (and sexist) to assume that every member of staff in an entire airport and airline company would be a middle-aged white male.

Meera Syal and Sanjeev Bhaskar play up to Indian stereotypes but noone ever calls them racist?

The really sad thing is that as soon as Precious Little (the West-Indian lady) came on I knew what was going to happen. Just once it would be nice to have a pleasant surprise.

martyh
28-12-2010, 11:03
i thought it was a very funny show , 10.3 million viewers watched it ,it would be interesting to see how many complained to the Beeb

Stuart
28-12-2010, 11:07
One thing to remember here: The Daily Mail is rabidly anti-BBC, so will use every opportunity to attack them..

Also, I did a search for one of the "tweets" mentioned in the article.

Searching for the phrase "Watching replay of Come Fly With Me. Black & White Minstrel Show comes to mind" on Twitter returned a messeage that loading tweets was taking a while. Searching for the phrase on Google returned this article and a couple of others.

No sign of any tweets though.

I am not sure if Google searches tweets, so I searched Bing, which I am certain I read does search tweets. This also returned the article, but no mention beyond that.

Hugh
28-12-2010, 11:07
I watched it, but didn't find it very funny.

martyh
28-12-2010, 11:14
I watched it, but didn't find it very funny.

but did you find it racist?

Hugh
28-12-2010, 11:17
Not particularly - it used stereotypes, but a wide range; I don't think it was racist, just lazy and unfunny; ymmv.....

Actually, I am surprised that the BNP have not complained about the over-representation of minorities on the programme.....;)

jb66
28-12-2010, 11:29
I thought it was hilarious, i thaught it was borderline, but that doesn't bother me, I'm Scottish and if there was a man in a kilt with Ginger hair drinking whisky I'd laugh at that too

Stuart
28-12-2010, 11:32
Agreed.

There are too many idiots out there looking for reasons to complain because they have nothing better to do with there sad little lives.

Agreed. I thought the show was brilliant.

I think it is more racist (and sexist) to assume that every member of staff in an entire airport and airline company would be a middle-aged white male.

True.

Meera Syal and Sanjeev Bhaskar play up to Indian stereotypes but noone ever calls them racist?

The thing is, people are more forgiving when people make fun of their own.

I need a better way of explaining that. Try this. I am sure you, from time to time, make fun of your other half. How would you feel if a stranger did? Offended? Happy?

I suspect you would not be happy, even if you weren't offended. The reason is that you don't know the person so you don't know if they were having a joke or just being nasty.

It's the same with stereotyping groups.

The really sad thing is that as soon as Precious Little (the West-Indian lady) came on I knew what was going to happen. Just once it would be nice to have a pleasant surprise.

Yeah, but I've known many people that would do that (a lot of different races).

Matt Lucas and David Walliams have always played caricatures of different groups in society. Their whole act is playing caricatures. Right from the early days of Rock Profiles (when they played hilarious but wildly inaccurate caricatures of pop and rock stars). It's also worth remembering that the characters they have played are predominantly white.

Perhaps the Daily Mail should look at it's own Cartoons before criticising anyone else's caricatures.

Hugh
28-12-2010, 11:55
Nothing wrong with stereotyping, it's when prejudice (preconceived opinion that is not based on reason or actual experience) is added to the mix that problems (imho) occur - I saw very little evidence of prejudice in the programme.

Gary L
28-12-2010, 12:33
I think it's a good thing to have on the TV. if you just see it for what it is and not what you want it to be then it's just comedy.

I like Taaj on the cat mobile.

Maggy
28-12-2010, 12:37
Title amended to make more sense.

papa smurf
28-12-2010, 13:14
sorry you didn't like it the way wot i wrote it ;)

Sirius
28-12-2010, 14:05
sorry you didn't like it the way wot i wrote it ;)

No links in it you see :)

Taf
28-12-2010, 14:58
Have the gays being jumping up and down about it? Or just those "outraged" thinking it was racist?

I saw it and giggled a few times.

Hugh
28-12-2010, 15:12
"the gays"??????

Gary L
28-12-2010, 15:27
"the gays"??????

Homosexuals, Hugh.

Maggy
28-12-2010, 15:40
No links in it you see :)

No I just couldn't help getting the red pen out.

Hugh
28-12-2010, 15:42
Homosexuals, Hugh.Thank you, Gary, for answering a question that wasn't asked....;)

My question marks were pertaining to the seeming encompassing of all gays as one homogenous community ("the gays"), which in my experience, they most definitely are not (just like all straights, "ethnics", members of religions, etc).

Sirius
28-12-2010, 15:43
No I just couldn't help getting the red pen out.

:LOL:

Nice one

Gary L
28-12-2010, 16:08
Thank you, Gary, for answering a question that wasn't asked....;)

My question marks were pertaining to the seeming encompassing of all gays as one homogenous community ("the gays"), which in my experience, they most definitely are not (just like all straights, "ethnics", members of religions, etc).

So, are you sure you never found any of the show racist at all? ;)

I actually don't get your point about the gays, but nevermind :)

Have the muzzies been complaining about the muslim part?
Have the blacks been complaining about the black part?
Have the gays been complaining about the gay part?
Have the pensioners been complaining about the old part?
Have the PC's been complaining about all of it?

Peter_
28-12-2010, 16:09
The show was funny so get over it.

papa smurf
28-12-2010, 16:43
So, are you sure you never found any of the show racist at all? ;)

I actually don't get your point about the gays, but nevermind :)

Have the muzzies been complaining about the muslim part?
Have the blacks been complaining about the black part?
Have the gays been complaining about the gay part?
Have the pensioners been complaining about the old part?
Have the PC's been complaining about all of it?

its usually some one who takes offence on behalf of others [who incidentally aren't usually offended ]

Taf
28-12-2010, 16:55
"the gays"??????

If a group hijack a lovely English word to describe themselves, then they shouldn't be shocked when people refer to them using that very same word.

People of "dark skin tones" now like to be referred to as "black" (in English) in France now. I never saw that one coming, especially on their TV and radio news!

Can an openly gay man (Matt Lucas) offend other gay people by portraying a gay character? Or is it like the seemingly one-way street that is racism?

iFrankie
28-12-2010, 16:57
I also enjoyed it, didn't find anything about it racist.

Anyone ever watched white chicks?

https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2010/12/7.jpg

Did white folk go crazy over this, no.

Maggy
28-12-2010, 17:08
Didn't watch it but then I stopped watching their other series once they started doing the demented woman and the woman suffering from incontinence as I did think those two characters were poking fun at a certain type of person who maybe had no way to object about the portrayal of their regrettable condition.

papa smurf
28-12-2010, 17:11
the Japanese school girl sketch had me in stitches :)

martyh
28-12-2010, 17:14
I also enjoyed it, didn't find anything about it racist.

Anyone ever watched white chicks?

https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2010/12/7.jpg

I did ,i found the whole steriotypical portrayal of white females ludicrous coupled with the ludicrous idea that 2 black men should be forced to dress as white females in the interests of sexual equality and positive racism particularly distasteful ,indeed i had to watch it at least 3 times to make sure i was disgusted enough to write a stiff letter to the Times

Gary L
28-12-2010, 17:17

IIRC there were a load of PC ethnic people that complained on our behalf :)

Jimmy-J
28-12-2010, 17:56
the Japanese school girl sketch had me in stitches :)

I found that funny, I think that was the only thing I laughed at.

Gary L
28-12-2010, 18:03
I found that funny, I think that was the only thing I laughed at.

That's probably true for me too. though I don't actually laugh at the TV. infact I really hate when people laugh at the TV.

budwieser
28-12-2010, 19:45
I did ,i found the whole steriotypical portrayal of white females ludicrous coupled with the ludicrous idea that 2 black men should be forced to dress as white females in the interests of sexual equality and positive racism particularly distasteful ,indeed i had to watch it at least 3 times to make sure i was disgusted enough to write a stiff letter to the Times

Lol...:D