PDA

View Full Version : General The Royal Institution’s Christmas Lectures 2010

LSainsbury
22-12-2010, 22:06
Just a heads up in case any of you are intrested:

The lecture series, called Size Matters, will air on BBC Four in late December.

The King’s College London scientist will explore the peculiar living and non-living matter that makes up the universe and will ask the eternal question - does size matter? Mark will explain how hamsters can survive falling from an aircraft without a parachute, why our planet is so puny, and explain the extraordinary hidden powers of human hair.
Commenting on the announcement, Professor Chris Bishop from Microsoft Research, who presented the 2008 Christmas Lectures, said: “The Royal Institution Christmas Lectures have inspired generations of young people to become scientists. Microsoft Research is pleased once again to be sponsoring the Lectures, and is delighted at the plans to expand the profile and impact of the lectures this year.”

RICL 2010 Link (http://www.rigb.org/contentControl?action=displayContent&id=00000004336)

martyh
22-12-2010, 23:36
Just a heads up in case any of you are intrested:

RICL 2010 Link (http://www.rigb.org/contentControl?action=displayContent&id=00000004336)

blimey are these things still going on ,i remember watching these when i was younger ,isn't this where Prof Heinz Wolf made his name

I might give this one a watch it looks interesting ..cheers lee :tu:

gazfan
22-12-2010, 23:58
I remember being in the audience for one while I was at school - prolly wasn't televised then, but it was brilliant watching the demos during the lecture - liquid gases figured a lot IIRC - liquid oxygen burning iron filings & liquid nitrogen turning a soft plastic ball into something that could be shattered into pieces by a blow from an hammer ...

idi banashapan
23-12-2010, 01:02
good call. thanks Lee. always enjoyed these. hopefully my daughter will too.

Caff
23-12-2010, 02:59
A great programme/series.
Makes me feel like I'm back in uni with a decent prof :D
Good jog :)

---------- Post added at 02:59 ---------- Previous post was at 02:48 ----------

I remember being in the audience for one while I was at school - prolly wasn't televised then, but it was brilliant watching the demos during the lecture - liquid gases figured a lot IIRC - liquid oxygen burning iron filings & liquid nitrogen turning a soft plastic ball into something that could be shattered into pieces by a blow from an hammer ...
I liked the old urine test one :D