PDA

View Full Version : Favourite/worst Christmas songs

Russ
14-12-2010, 12:35
Let's have your favourite and worst Christmas songs.

In no particular order mine are: Proper Crimbo, the original Do They Know it's Christmas, Sinead O'Connor's version of Silent Night, Slade's Merry Christmas Everyone and Fairytale of New York.

Worst has to be the Chris Martin-inspired abomination of Do They Know it's Christmas from 2005.

superbiatch
14-12-2010, 13:06
Driving Home for Christmas - Chris Rea is my all time favourite :)

Zing
14-12-2010, 13:25
Fav is The Christmas Song by Nat King cole http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cubgWvBfs24
Second Fav is Bing Crosby and David Bowie doing little drummer boy/peace on earth http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AEdRAV2W14M&feature=fvst
Followed by White Christmas and everything on the Phil Spector christmas album

worst I do not think I have one but I do not like the fact we do not seem to get proper christmas songs anymore

peanut
14-12-2010, 13:33
The worse Christmas songs for me are:-
Silent Night by Frank Sinatra - could it be any slower and annoying, drives me mad.
Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer by Destiny's Child.
Christmas In Hollis by RUN DMC. Thank God that one doesn't get played much.
Christmas My Arse by Ricky Tomlinson.
Most remakes.

A favourite has to be Happy Xmas the war is over (the original version)
Pretty much any of the originals really.

Maggy
14-12-2010, 14:13
Loves

Fairytale of New York by Kirsty MacColl and The Pogues.

Santa Baby by Eartha Kitt.

Sloppiest but I love it..Scarlet Ribbons

Hates

The Little Drummer Boy any version.

Quite like all the rest provided I don't get to hear them ad nauseum.

gazzae
14-12-2010, 14:42
Love
Can't beat a bit of Shakin Stevens

Hate
That dross by The Darkness

Julian
14-12-2010, 14:42
Favourite - Greg Lake - I believe in Father Christmas.

LINKY (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0O_fCs5Buwg)

v0id
14-12-2010, 14:50
Some of my favourites are in a Spotify playlist here (http://open.spotify.com/user/akav0id/playlist/2x0vkKBxATz78BLtv0Fia9), including:

Gary Glitter – Another Rock and Roll Christmas
Bo Pepper – I Haven't Got You Anything (this Christmas)
Chris Rea – Driving Home For Christmas
Brenda Lee – Rockin Around The Christmas Tree
Mariah Carey – All I Want For Christmas Is You

I think the only Christmas song I don't really like is 'Saviours Day' by Cliff Richard

dilli-theclaw
14-12-2010, 14:52
The only christmas song I like is Mary's Boy Child as sung by Boney M

Anonymouse
14-12-2010, 15:03
Fairytale of New York, and that one by Chris de Burgh, I can never remember the title.

All the others I loathe, because I've heard 'em all far far too often. Ye gods, even Slade are sick of their own song by now!

As for the Band Aid thing - well, there hasn't been snow in Africa since the last bloody Ice Age, so that bit doesn't even make sense! The only place you'll ever see snow there is at the top of Mount Kilimanjaro!

(walking to the top of which is on my to-do-before-I-croak list)

gazzae
14-12-2010, 15:36
As for the Band Aid thing - well, there hasn't been snow in Africa since the last bloody Ice Age, so that bit doesn't even make sense! The only place you'll ever see snow there is at the top of Mount Kilimanjaro

So there has been snow in Africa since the last Ice Age?

PS whats that white stuff on top of Mount Kenya?

Kymmy
14-12-2010, 16:38
I remember it snowing in Jo'burg back in 1994.. Being a few thousand meters ASL it's not suprising

AntiSilence
14-12-2010, 17:37
that one by Chris de Burgh, I can never remember the title.]

A Spaceman Came Travelling?

Peter_
14-12-2010, 17:54
I really really dislike the poor song that the darkness released, I also have always thought that band was exceptionally bad anyway.

Paul
14-12-2010, 18:21
No one has mentioned a Wombling Merry Xmas yet ??

Its a classic. :D

Russ
14-12-2010, 18:37
Let's not forget the same thing I rehash each year with different names added ;)

Lacey things Maggy's missing
Mick didn't ask for her permission
He's wearing her clothes, her silk panty hose
Walking round in women's underwear

Hugh and Rob, looking classy
LBD, with eyes all glassy
Who knows what they saw?
They're now both Forever 'phwoar'

In the admin area is where you'll find us
With hair and wigs all so tightly curled
High-heels, glitter make-up with suspenders
It's just like being backstage at Miss World

Stephen, Russ, Kymmy and Lew
Looking burlesque as much as Stu,
Put on some high shade and join the parade

MadGamer
14-12-2010, 19:00
Favourite: Little Drummer Boy (Bing Crosby & David Bowie)

Worst: Any song by Cliff Richard

Hom3r
14-12-2010, 19:19

All I want for christmas id you - Mariah Carey.
When a child is born, both versions Johnny Mathis/Connie Talbot
Band Aid

Don't like

Gary Glitters I cannot support a paedo.
David Essex (Winters Tales) as its depressing
Millinium Prayer - Cliff should be deported back to India (Lucknow (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lucknow)) for this crap.

ChrisLUFC22
14-12-2010, 21:37
Worst - Do They Know It's Christmas? (Either version, both appalling)

Best - Can't believe I'm saying this, but I have a soft spot for Last Christmas by Wham :D

Maggy
14-12-2010, 22:33
Let's not forget the same thing I rehash each year with different names added ;)

Frankly the entire moderation team could walk around en masse in my nickers...;) :D

I really must lose some weight next year.

Flyboy
15-12-2010, 00:18
Fairytale of New York, and that one by Chris de Burgh, I can never remember the title.

All the others I loathe, because I've heard 'em all far far too often. Ye gods, even Slade are sick of their own song by now!

As for the Band Aid thing - well, there hasn't been snow in Africa since the last bloody Ice Age, so that bit doesn't even make sense! The only place you'll ever see snow there is at the top of Mount Kilimanjaro!

(walking to the top of which is on my to-do-before-I-croak list)

Does it really matter...really.

Axegrinder
16-12-2010, 23:13

All I want for Christmas Is you - Mariah Carey

Merry Xmas Everybody - Slade

I wish it Could Be Christmas Everyday

Fairytale of New York - Kirsty McColl and the Pogues

Hate

Do they know its Christmas? - Band Aid/Various :mad:

Flyboy
17-12-2010, 12:47
Do They Know It's Christmas? was produced at a time when the world needed to know about the disaster that was facing sub-saharan Africa at the time, the words, tune and composition are irrelevant. It serves a purpose and brings knowledge and relief.

Russ
17-12-2010, 13:28
Do They Know It's Christmas? was produced at a time when the world needed to know about the disaster that was facing sub-saharan Africa at the time, the words, tune and composition are irrelevant. It serves a purpose and brings knowledge and relief.

Yeah well let's not get too deep, I'm just asking what people's favourite and worst songs are. Political and charitable messages can be left outside the door for this thread.

Jimmy-J
17-12-2010, 15:01
"In the Bleak Midwinter (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZC9C5kHL884&feature=related)" is probably my favourite. Too many bad ones to mention!

Flyboy
17-12-2010, 16:06
Yeah well let's not get too deep, I'm just asking what people's favourite and worst songs are. Political and charitable messages can be left outside the door for this thread.

Sorry, Russ. It just annoys when people treat an important event like Band Aid and Live Aid with so much flippancy. The song and the words don't matter, it was the purpose and the principle that was important.

Back on topic now. :)

---------- Post added at 15:06 ---------- Previous post was at 15:06 ----------

"In the Bleak Midwinter (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZC9C5kHL884&feature=related)" is probably my favourite. Too many bad ones to mention!

My favourite carols are: God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen and Silent Night.

Peter_
17-12-2010, 16:53
It served a need and people are glad of that but it does not stop it from being a bad song if you feel that way about it, remember it is all bout personal choice.;)

Uncle Peter
18-12-2010, 21:26
Best:

Greg Lake - I believe in Father Christmas

Worst:

Anything at all by Cliff Richard (at any time of year)
Anything to do with the X-Factor, Simon Cowell, Louis Walsh, blah blah