PDA

View Full Version : Moving to Scotland from England - Anyone done it?

AdamD
07-12-2010, 04:08
I'm curious if anyone here has made the rather radical step of moving from anywhere in England, to Scotland?

If so, how did you find the Scotland?

Derek
07-12-2010, 04:14
If so, how did you find the Scotland?

I drove up the M6 and there it was ;)

It's not exactly what you mean but I lived and worked down South for a bit before going home. There isn't a huge difference. Other English and Welsh folk I know who have moved up say that we can be a bit more friendly than some places in England and that's about it.

Russ
07-12-2010, 07:28
I managed a move to England fairly painlessly, apart from everyone talking with silly accents it's fine :D

You going up north shouldn't be too different :)

Taf
07-12-2010, 09:54
I was posted to Edinburgh from Cyprus. Quite a culture shock (or was it the lack of heat?).

Lovely people, harsh winters, expensive shopping, great beer!!

Chris
07-12-2010, 09:57
:wavey:

What exactly do you want to know?

AdamD
07-12-2010, 10:25
I was just curious about the way of life there, so to speak, compared to England, heh.

Expensive shopping you say?

Pauls9
07-12-2010, 11:24
Lovely country, spectacular scenery and wildlife, nice people. We holiday there every year and can't wait to return.

Depending on where you are, distance from services might be of interest. Earlier this year, we were staying on the west coast when my wife twisted her ankle. The local surgery (ten miles away) couldn't have been better, which was great since the nearest hospitals were one and two hours away. Shopping can be a similar logistical exercise.

Where are you thinking of going to?

Oh - and watch out for the midgies.

Chris
07-12-2010, 11:37
It's certainly not expensive here, especially not compared to southeast England. Southeast England, on the other hand, is very dirty, expensive, overcrowded and unfriendly compared with Scotland.

I'm a little biased - I'm northern English, and I spent 5 years down south before moving to Scotland.

Scottish society is subtly different to English but it's difficult to put your finger on specifics. However once you've lived here a while it becomes clear that in many ways Scotland remains a distinct country of its own, despite the Union.

Acathla
07-12-2010, 12:38
I did it the other way Scotland -> England.

Just avoid the M8 at the moment ;)

Pauls9
07-12-2010, 13:02
I did it the other way Scotland -> England.

Just avoid the M8 at the moment ;)
:rofl:

Of all the places you don't want to be stuck overnight, it's Cumbernauld.

AdamD
07-12-2010, 13:11
There was actually a really nice set of apartments up for rent, but it's about as far north as you can go, before leaving the main land, heh

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-to-rent/property-31688483.html

Halkirk.

Stephen
07-12-2010, 17:43
Scotland really isn't that different to England at all.

I spent 15 yrs in Kent before moving back to Glasgow, sure things are different to England, like he accent for starters and the money looks different although its still £s.and the sausages are square :P Irn Bru is sold everywhere too. hehehe

AdamD
07-12-2010, 18:20
Southeast England, on the other hand, is very dirty, expensive, overcrowded and unfriendly compared with Scotland.

Which is why I want to move :P
heh
I wonder though about stuff like the NHS and benefits, I assume they're the same in Scotland?

Hugh
07-12-2010, 18:23
You may find this helpful - Gateway to Scotland (http://www.scotland.org/work/moving-to-scotland/)

Hom3r
07-12-2010, 18:31
One inportant fact people have failed to mention

Whisky, you should NOT under any circumstances EVER, is drink it with anything (Ice, mixer etc) it should ALWAYs be drunk neat, as told to me by my grandad & his brothers.

Hugh
07-12-2010, 18:36
You may add a little spring water to cask strength without being seen as effeminate....

AdamD
07-12-2010, 18:38
Sweet, thanks Hugh :)

danielf
07-12-2010, 18:40
You may add a little spring water to cask strength without being seen as effeminate....

That only applies to women...

Chris
07-12-2010, 18:40
Which is why I want to move :P
heh
I wonder though about stuff like the NHS and benefits, I assume they're the same in Scotland?

Benefits are administered by the Department of Work and Pensions, which is UK-wide and not devolved. They are the same in Scotland as everywhere else.

The NHS in Scotland is devolved - the service is basically the same, but there are a few differences. Prescriptions, sight tests and dental check-ups are free. Hospital car parking is for the most part free. However it's not as easy to choose which hospital you are treated in as you do in England. Generally you get referred to one within your local health authority area.

Derek
07-12-2010, 18:47
However it's not as easy to choose which hospital you are treated in as you do in England. Generally you get referred to one within your local health authority area.

Shhhhhhh! You'll upset those who think everyone up here gets gold plated bentleys courtesy of English tax payers. :)

Cobbydaler
07-12-2010, 19:19
Oh - and watch out for the midgies.

There was actually a really nice set of apartments up for rent, but it's about as far north as you can go, before leaving the main land, heh

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-to-rent/property-31688483.html

Halkirk.

As far as I remember midgies tend to congregate towards the West coast, so shouldn't be too bad there.

Once spent a holiday on the Ardnamurchan peninsula & they were just horrendous...

Hugh
07-12-2010, 19:25
Shhhhhhh! You'll upset those who think everyone up here gets gold plated bentleys courtesy of English tax payers. :)
I know - due to the cuts, you have had to down-grade to silver plated Lambos.......:D

Acathla
07-12-2010, 22:11
One inportant fact people have failed to mention

Whisky, you should NOT under any circumstances EVER, is drink it with anything (Ice, mixer etc) it should ALWAYs be drunk neat, as told to me by my grandad & his brothers.

Rubbish :)

Pour your whiskey over two cubes of ice and the cold will help draw the flavour out.

Hugh
07-12-2010, 22:41
Sassenach!

Maggy
08-12-2010, 00:27
Oh leave people to drink the alcohol of their choice in their own manner..:p: