PDA

View Full Version : Phone not available problem

jepton
04-12-2010, 23:45
A friend of mine has just moved into a block of flats and requested Virgin Phone, TV and Broadband. Most of the residents in the flats have a normal Virgin service.
When the engineer came to install, my friend was told the TV and BB was Ok but there was no way he could install the phone.
After complaining and receiving promises of a phone, a second engineer came and said the same thing.
Several residents have had similar problems and it has taken many months to get their phones installed.
Any one know why you cannot have a phone if you can have TV and BB? I thought they all came down the same cable!

dave_dph
05-12-2010, 10:34
Any one know why you cannot have a phone if you can have TV and BB? I thought they all came down the same cable!

Probably no free connections points in the street cabinet.

Your friend could always use a voip service over their broadband connection, using either a voip phone or a standard phone connected to a voip adaptor.

Have a look at www.voipfone.co.uk for starters.

jb66
05-12-2010, 11:36
Could be a damaged 50 pair cable in the actual flats

jepton
05-12-2010, 11:46
Probably no free connections points in the street cabinet.

Your friend could always use a voip service over their broadband connection, using either a voip phone or a standard phone connected to a voip adaptor.

Have a look at www.voipfone.co.uk for starters.

I have recommended she gets www.Vonage.co.uk

Do you need one connection point in the cabinet for the phone and a second one for tv & BB?

jungleguy
05-12-2010, 12:26
could be a lack of capacity issue with the cabinet