PDA

View Full Version : OAP Loses £80k After Leaving It On Car Roof

Peter_
25-11-2010, 13:49
OAP Loses £80k After Leaving It On Car Roof

A pensioner who does not trust banks claims to have lost his life savings of £80,000 - by leaving it on the roof of his car and driving off.

http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/Strange-News/Pensioner-Who-Didnt-Trust-Banks-Loses-Life-Savings-Of-80000-Cash-On-Car-Roof-In-Southend-Essex/Article/201011415829830?f=rss

Sasha222
25-11-2010, 14:05
If his car is 10ft away from him and he keeps an eye on it would make you wonder how he didn't spot the bag in the roof of the car then :erm:

My car is never more than 10ft from me at work so I can keep an eye on it," he told Mail Online.

I wish him good luck in getting the money back but I doubth he ever will

Gary L
25-11-2010, 14:09
Sounds like he was going to work but forgot to put the bag in the car before driving off.

I did it once. not a bag of money. just a box of what the neighbour is desperate to know is :)

Sasha222
25-11-2010, 14:16
Ah right. Thanks Gary. I thought he was after leaving it on the roof of his car when he got to work. That will teach me to read the story better :( the next time. Ya I know of a few people who have left stuff on the bonnet to the car while they were unlocking the car.

That is so sad for him. Bet he trusts banks now

Zing
25-11-2010, 14:31
Its tough luch aint it really? I seriously think I would struggle to hand it in. In fact in all honesty I wouldnt

jimbob1972
25-11-2010, 14:36
omg oaps claim that they are skint aswell

Sasha222
25-11-2010, 14:38
Well finding the money with no name on it what are you supposed to do with it. It's a different story when you find a wallet and it has details of the person on it or say a wage packet as well. This partof the story made me laugh

Anyone who may have found the money is asked to hand it to their local police station or risk being accused of 'theft by finding', the spokeswoman added. :erm: :D

Peter_
25-11-2010, 15:01
Anyone who may have found the money is asked to hand it to their local police station or risk being accused of 'theft by finding', the spokeswoman added. :erm: :D
By law you are supposed to hand in anything you find and if it is not claimed in so many months you are entitled to claim it back.

Sasha222
25-11-2010, 15:04
omg oaps claim that they are skint aswell

It was his life savings. He has been saving for years all through his working life.

---------- Post added at 15:04 ---------- Previous post was at 15:02 ----------

By law you are supposed to hand in anything you find and if it is not claimed in so many months you are entitled to claim it back.

Ah but who really does hand in stuff that has no name on it? I dont think many people would. Whoever found that much money must have thought there birthdays came in one day.

v0id
25-11-2010, 16:17
Someone's going to be having a nice Christmas this year

joglynne
25-11-2010, 18:49
When he was about 14 my son found a half sovereign coin in a gold setting on a gold necklace. He handed it in at our local Police station who took his name and address.

The first thing I knew what had happened was when he got a letter from the GMP telling him the necklace had not been claimed and that he could collect it. It didn't suit him so he gave it me. So honesty is alive and kicking and does sometimes get rewarded.

Caff
25-11-2010, 19:09
When he was about 14 my son found a half sovereign coin in a gold setting on a gold necklace. He handed it in at our local Police station who took his name and address.

The first thing I knew what had happened was when he got a letter from the GMP telling him the necklace had not been claimed and that he could collect it. It didn't suit him so he gave it me. So honesty is alive and kicking and does sometimes get rewarded.

It's a good and warm feeling.
Had the same experience when I managed to return a dropped wallet on the pavement. It wasn't the money inside he'd have missed but the piece of plastic that would allow him to continue his livelihood that pleased him (some trucker ID thing).

Sasha222
25-11-2010, 19:52
A couple of months ago I had my purse taken out of my bag while I was on holiday and had 190euro in it. It wasn't the money that bothered me but what I had in it from the children that they had bought me over the years and it wasn't enough that they took the purse but I had a docket in it to collect my hubbys bracelet that was getting repaired in the jewellers and they collected that as well :(

Peter_
25-11-2010, 21:21
A couple of months ago I had my purse taken out of my bag while I was on holiday and had 190euro in it. It wasn't the money that bothered me but what I had in it from the children that they had bought me over the years and it wasn't enough that they took the purse but I had a docket in it to collect my hubbys bracelet that was getting repaired in the jewellers and they collected that as well :(
So not only did you get the purse stolen but you know that it was probably someone in the same hotel the same flight and that you probably spoke to them a few times at the resort, makes you wonder how low a person can stoop.:mad:

Sasha222
25-11-2010, 21:26
We were staying in the hotel about and hour and a half down the road and it was lunch time when it happened. My bag was on the floor right beside me. They had people coming in and out for lunch who didn't stay in the hotel. The thing is I didn't even feel or see anyone go near my bag and the hotel had no security camera's installed. Also they didn't seem one bit interested that the purse was taken.

Peter_
25-11-2010, 21:32
We were staying in the hotel about and hour and a half down the road and it was lunch time when it happened. My bag was on the floor right beside me. They had people coming in and out for lunch who didn't stay in the hotel. The thing is I didn't even feel or see anyone go near my bag and the hotel had no security camera's installed. Also they didn't seem one bit interested that the purse was taken.
I think those bumbags are essential when on holiday as it stays around your waist.

Sasha222
25-11-2010, 21:34
I got one after that happened. Thought me a valabule lesson :(

Caff
25-11-2010, 22:18

BBC's 'Watchdog' had an item on exactly the same thing a couple of weeks ago.
I watch it for another reason - ho-hum :)

It's a shame - there's something about being on holiday that makes you want to let your guards down and just chill.

But 80k??? I left a comb and a petrol cap on the car roof once when I'd filled the tank up - I didn't do it again :D I think... ?

Sasha222
25-11-2010, 22:21
I really do hope he gets it back. He must be so so devasted. All of his life savings gone in one split second :erm: