PDA

View Full Version : the pope's new book

papa smurf
21-11-2010, 09:21
the pope has a new book out this week in which he suggests
It's OK to wear a condom (in some cases), says Pope as he overturns thousands of years teaching by the Catholic Church

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1331591/Pope-reverses-thousands-years-Church-teachings-declares-In-cases-condoms-OK.html#ixzz15uHXd1Qe

well that should help sales along -or is this a genuine gesture to help stop the spread of hiv .

Gary L
21-11-2010, 10:07
Is this just for male on male?

papa smurf
21-11-2010, 10:17
He gave the example of male prostitutes where, he said, using condoms to prevent the spread of AIDS could be seen as an act of moral responsibility, even though condoms were "not really the way to deal with the evil of HIV infection".

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-11804943

The British gay rights campaigner, Peter Tatchell, told the BBC the Pope's comments were significant but needed "clarification".

Gary L
21-11-2010, 10:34
I don't understand why some people act as if they need his approval on this? at the end of the day (to me anyway) his opinion on things is just as worthy as mine.

martyh
21-11-2010, 10:54
The British gay rights campaigner, Peter Tatchell, told the BBC the Pope's comments were significant but needed "clarification".

Benedict replies: ‘She of course does not regard it as a real or moral solution, but, in this or that case, there can be nonetheless, in the intention of reducing the risk of infection, a first step in a movement toward a different way, a more human way, of living sexuality.’ The Pope goes as far as mentioning the ‘ABC principle’ (Abstinence-Be faithful-Condom) on stopping the spread of AIDS.

not kidding is he :confused:

---------- Post added at 10:52 ---------- Previous post was at 10:51 ----------

I don't understand why some people act as if they need his approval on this? at the end of the day (to me anyway) his opinion on things is just as worthy as mine.

to some people though (catholics) he is the voice of god ,giving the will of god to the people so what he says goes

---------- Post added at 10:54 ---------- Previous post was at 10:52 ----------

seems to me that it is a veiled attack on homo sexuality ,blaming gay men soley for the spread of aids

papa smurf
21-11-2010, 11:56
Benedict replies: ‘She of course does not regard it as a real or moral solution, but, in this or that case, there can be nonetheless, in the intention of reducing the risk of infection, a first step in a movement toward a different way, a more human way, of living sexuality.’ The Pope goes as far as mentioning the ‘ABC principle’ (Abstinence-Be faithful-Condom) on stopping the spread of AIDS.

not kidding is he :confused:

---------- Post added at 10:52 ---------- Previous post was at 10:51 ----------

to some people though (catholics) he is the voice of god ,giving the will of god to the people so what he says goes

---------- Post added at 10:54 ---------- Previous post was at 10:52 ----------

seems to me that it is a veiled attack on homo sexuality ,blaming gay men soley for the spread of aids

seems to me its a gesture that's several decades too late :( .

martyh
21-11-2010, 12:27
seems to me its a gesture that's several decades too late :( .

definately ,horse,stabledoor,bolted springs to mind

danielf
21-11-2010, 12:36
I think this is great news. The Vatican has finally entered the 18th Century :tu:

Peter_
21-11-2010, 13:28
I would not believe a word printed on behalf of the Vatican or the Pope as they will never change their embedded doctrines this millennium.:mad:

papa smurf
21-11-2010, 13:32
I would not believe a word printed on behalf of the Vatican or the Pope as they will never change their embedded doctrines this millennium.:mad:

i don't think i can wait 990 years to find out - but i see where your coming from.

budwieser
21-11-2010, 15:22
i don't think i can wait 990 years to find out - but i see where your coming from.
" but i see where your coming from. " Hope he`s wearing a condom........:D

gazzae
21-11-2010, 20:32
got to love the BBC correspondant for this story - David Willey

Maggy
21-11-2010, 20:41
One would hope that someone offering advice on the complexities of life should have had some experiences of those complexities, otherwise their advice does become less meaningful to the recipient.

I welcome the Pope's new ruling(provided he doesn't back peddle at a later date) as a step in the right direction.

However I feel that it's not really heartfelt and is just a way to apologise for the poor dealings with the recent allegations and prosecutions against the priesthood.

Gary L
21-11-2010, 20:45
However I feel that it's not really heartfelt and is just a way to apologise for the poor dealings with the recent allegations and prosecutions against the priesthood.

He probably was thinking of them when he come up with the idea.

Chris
21-11-2010, 22:00

Some people? That's the strangest way to some up 'about a billion' that I've ever seen. ;)

I'm not one of the billion or so Catholics by the way, but he is the supreme head of the organisation for those that are. Many of them take their religion, and particularly their denomination's take on it, very seriously. It's no surprise a lot of them feel they need his 'approval'.

Incidentally, while your voice has just as much right to be heard, I'd instinctively attach more weight to someone's opinions about morality if I had cause to believe they held their views as a result of many years of study and deep contemplation.

Stuart
21-11-2010, 23:07
That's my feeling. While I wish both the Church and the Pope would go further and allow the use of condoms with no limitation, the fact that the head of any church whose membership consists of around 1/6th of the world's population (baptised, I could not find figures for the number of practicing catholics) has said even this could have a significant impact on the fight against AIDS and other Sexually Transmitted Diseases.

danielf
21-11-2010, 23:20
So what's this then?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-11806753

The Vatican has played down the importance of Pope Benedict's remarks appearing to temper the opposition of the Roman Catholic Church to condoms.

The Vatican spokesman said the pontiff's comments were not "revolutionary", but added it was the first time Pope Benedict had commented on the issue informally.

<snippy>

"The Pope considered an exceptional situation in which the exercise of sexuality is a real danger to the life of another," said Fr Lombardi.

Benedict used the specific example of a male prostitute using a condom to illustrate his apparent shift in position.

"The Pope maintains that condom use to lessen the danger of infection is a 'first assumption of responsibility,'" said Fr Lombardi, quoting from the book.

"In this, the reasoning of the Pope certainly cannot be defined as a revolutionary breakthrough.

I'm not that well versed in 'pope speak', so I wonder: Is the Vatican trying to play down what the pope said (and consequently we're back to condoms are forbidden (except for male prostitutes, obviously)) or are they just trying to marry the pope's recent comments with official doctrine so it doesn't look like the pope changed his mind.

Damien
22-11-2010, 14:23
Please keep discussion on topic and refrain from making distasteful remarks. Thank you.

budwieser
22-11-2010, 21:50
Please keep discussion on topic and refrain from making distasteful remarks. Thank you.

""
Benedict used the specific example of a male prostitute using a condom to illustrate his apparent shift in position.""

Was that the distasteful remark?:erm: I didn`t see the original part of the post because it was deleted.

Damien
22-11-2010, 21:51
""
Benedict used the specific example of a male prostitute using a condom to illustrate his apparent shift in position.""

Was that the distasteful remark?:erm: I didn`t see the original part of the post because it was deleted.

No.

budwieser
22-11-2010, 21:51
Ok , thanks.:)
By the way Damien, That was bloody quick modding!!!!!!!!!!!!:shocked::shocked: Are you a Time lord or something?. :D
Can you tell me what fridays lottery numbers will be please?;):D

TheNorm
23-11-2010, 19:38
... his opinion on things is just as worthy as mine.

:rofl: