PDA

View Full Version : Freeview, What a Mess (IMO).

NEWLINEtv
14-11-2010, 14:35
I think Freeview UK is a right mess now, looking at the channel lineup, there is so much teleshopping and adult filth, it shouldnt IMO be allowed, the transmittion companies are trying to squeeze every bite out of the bandwidth so what IMO is happening is that the quality of the Freeview transmittion is ending up just like what it was back in the ITV/On Digital day, I'm still missing the BBC Multiplex, so can't watch BBC One, BBC Two, BBC Three & BBC News yet I still have to pay my TV Licence Fee even though I'm not getting the BBC Siginal :td:, I think the broadcasters should go over to Freesat instead, it would be cheaper for them (I'm refering to the likes of Quest and Yesterday and Dave).

Stuart
14-11-2010, 14:44
The whole point of freeview is that people can receive using relatively cheap equipment, even if they cannot get Satellite or Cable. By moving to Freesat, the channels will be cutting off a *lot* of potential viewers, and a lot of their own income.

I agree about too many teleshopping channels (many of which are, IMO, a scam anyway), but can't find any adult channels on Freeview. so am not sure which channels are you referring to when you say "adult filth".

NEWLINEtv
14-11-2010, 14:51
but can't find any adult channels on Freeview. so am not sure which channels are you referring to when you say "adult filth".

Channels 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 190, 191, 192.

Stuart
14-11-2010, 15:00
Fair enough. It's just they aren't listed on Digiguide, or the Freeview website.

NEWLINEtv
14-11-2010, 15:09
Fair enough. It's just they aren't listed on Digiguide, or the Freeview website.

Are you supprised? :p:

danielf
14-11-2010, 15:18
Why can't you get the BBC multiplex?

NEWLINEtv
14-11-2010, 15:21
Why can't you get the BBC multiplex?

Can you tell me please? Because I don't know.

danielf
14-11-2010, 15:26
Can you tell me please? Because I don't know.

It sounds like you need to re-tune your box, and perhaps try a manual re-tune if you have trouble getting all channels. You should be able to get the complete lineup.

Where are you located?

NEWLINEtv
14-11-2010, 15:31
It sounds like you need to re-tune your box, and perhaps try a manual re-tune if you have trouble getting all channels. You should be able to get the complete lineup.

Where are you located?

I've re-tuned it 3 times, I'm located near the Pontop Pike Transmitter.

danielf
14-11-2010, 15:38
You could try a manual re-tune. It might also help to reset the box to factory settings and to remove all existing channels first (from memory, you can do the latter by removing all channels and tune it without the aerial connected).

Also: take a look here: http://www.tvretune.co.uk/troubleshooting/ for a (manual) re-tune guide (There's a downloadable PDF).

nodrogd
15-11-2010, 16:44
These adult channels are leasing bandwidth on DTT but are not strictly part of freeview, just as channels can lease bandwidth on the Astra satellite but not be part of freesat/sky. In fact, these channels are paying more than their satellite counterparts to be on DTT.

Why? DTT is presently received in 18+ Million homes, compared to satellite that gets to 11 Million at present. TV companies that can afford to will always go for the biggest potential audiance, regardless of the technology used, and at the moment that is DTT.

The reception problem you have is more likely aerial related than equipment related. Might be an idea to get the aerial system checked.

MTJR
15-11-2010, 18:04
I thought the "adult filth" was only available if you paid extra with a viewing card or whatever it is.

A quick looky here (http://www.ukfree.tv/txdetail.php?a=NZ148526) shows the BBC channels on max output as compared to all the others on medium. Maybe it's got something to do with your aerial or the way you push a signal around the house.

Mr_love_monkey
15-11-2010, 18:36
I thought the "adult filth" was only available if you paid extra with a viewing card or whatever it is.

Well depends what you consider as 'adult filth' - 'BabeStation' (which if you ask me should be shut down under the trade description act) has topless women in small bits of underwear performing simulated sex acts - this is all free to air - they have an 'extreme' channel which you have to pay for.

Or so I've heard :angel:

nodrogd
15-11-2010, 19:10

Correct. The Channels mentioned by the OP require a TV with a CAM slot, a CAM and a viewing card, the same as ESPN.

Tezcatlipoca
15-11-2010, 19:15
Filth on Freeview? If only! ;)

MTJR
15-11-2010, 20:20
Filth on Freeview? If only! ;)

I had some on my Freeview box today! 10am in the morning as well!

Still, a fluffy duster and Mr Sheen did the trick. ;)

Mr_love_monkey
15-11-2010, 21:01
Still, a fluffy duster and Mr Sheen did the trick. ;)

I've heard it called some strange things before....

Stuart
16-11-2010, 10:15
Are you supprised? :p:

Yes, quite frankly, seeing as Digiguide does actually list any adult channels on Virgin..