PDA

View Full Version : Installation of 50mb service and modem power levels

craigj2k12
13-11-2010, 00:25
Hi,

Im new to cable and a bit of a noob. Iv been reading into the 50mb service and it would seem that the acceptable power levels for the downstream are between -5 and +5 dB. However, those reporting faults with low speed, and high pings have power levels a lot higher or a lot lower than this. One post on thinkbroadband suggested optimum power levels are between 0 and +3.5 db. When i get mine installed shall i make sure the engineer doesnt leave until the power level is between 0 and 3.5 or will it not make a difference. I do a lot of downloading and online gaming, so high d/l and u/l speed is essential and low ping keeps me happy and helps me sleep at night.

in plain english, what i mean is: does ping reduce, the closer the power level is to 0?

jb66
13-11-2010, 08:32
Hi,

Im new to cable and a bit of a noob. Iv been reading into the 50mb service and it would seem that the acceptable power levels for the downstream are between -5 and +5 dB. However, those reporting faults with low speed, and high pings have power levels a lot higher or a lot lower than this. One post on thinkbroadband suggested optimum power levels are between 0 and +3.5 db. When i get mine installed shall i make sure the engineer doesnt leave until the power level is between 0 and 3.5 or will it not make a difference. I do a lot of downloading and online gaming, so high d/l and u/l speed is essential and low ping keeps me happy and helps me sleep at night.

in plain english, what i mean is: does ping reduce, the closer the power level is to 0?

No, ping etc is nothing to do with that, the engineer cant adjust ping, its just the way the network is.

You want the downstream power levels to be as close to zero as possible but the most important is that the upstream is below 55db

weesteev
14-11-2010, 13:28
power level fluctuations will affect the service to the point where you may not have service, but will not affect your ping or speed.

Dave_
15-11-2010, 17:46
When i get mine installed shall i make sure the engineer doesnt leave until the power level is between 0 and 3.5

Hope the engineer has a network tech in his toolbox then :D

jb66
15-11-2010, 18:02
Hope the engineer has a network tech in his toolbox then :D

LOL