PDA

View Full Version : 1471 redialing?

lobster1
12-11-2010, 15:06
Had a call from i assume an overseas company competition line and put the phone down.

As i am with tps and also have caller number withhold number enabled (basically if they withhold the number it shouldn't come through) i decided to check who rang me dialing 1471.

Immediately i heard the same voice from the competition line, i at no time touched the number 3 option to ring back.

Try again a few mins later i thought. and had a message that the caller had cleared and also the callers number couldn't be found.

i understand caller withhold doesn't usually work from calls outside the UK but what i was wondering if i had been charged for a return call even tho i had only dialed 1471.

Called Cs, it took a while to explain to the overseas gent :( what i was getting at however told if it appears on the itemized bill then to phone back and virgin would remove it :).

Anyone else have a redial after only dialing 1471?

BenMcr
12-11-2010, 15:19
It sounds more like that although you put the phone down, the people calling you didn't. So when you picked the phone up you were still connected to the call

bw41101
12-11-2010, 15:25
That's because the rogue dialler was still connected to you, I.e the connection was not actually broken from their end, so when you picked up the phone you could still hear same waffling away regardless.

In view of the above, you wouldn't have been charged for the call.

Si thee :Sprint:

lobster1
12-11-2010, 15:33
Probably what happened however i noted that the call started from the very start when i dialed 1471 not halfway through.
cheers for the swift reply

AndyCalling
14-11-2010, 22:22
Remember, it is the person making the call (ie. actually paying for it) who has the right to cut it off or not, not the receiver. That said, BT used to cut a call off if the line had been silent for a certain period of time (not sure how long) to avoid huge phone bills if a phone had not quite gone down properly. I don't know what VM do in these circumstances. Basically, though, if the receiver puts the phone down the call will not cut off. It cuts when the caller downs their phone only.