PDA

View Full Version : What leads? Help !

MoonTheLoon
04-11-2010, 16:49
Hi - I currently have the bundled package from Virgin (TV, Telecom, Internet). This service is currently in my living room and two bedrooms. I am in the process of converting the loft area into a living space and want to have 3 cable points in this room (in case i want to move the TV from one point to another), and one telecom point. Since the floorboards are up and the builders are working away I would like to run the cable now (and leave it loose) so it can be concealed. My questions are:

1/ what cable do I need to buy so I can get cable TV, telecom, internet in the loft
2/ do i need to connect the three new cable points individually (3 new cable runs) or can I loop all three points onto the same run
3/ does the new cable(s) need to go back to what looks like a junction box inside one of the bedrooms (the box is grey and about 6x4")

Thank you for any help you can provide

Keith

Jameseh
04-11-2010, 17:12
You'd have to get Virgin to install the cables.

MovedGoalPosts
04-11-2010, 17:23
Phone is easy. You just need a standard phone cable routed from the master socket. Since anything on the customer side of the master socket is the customers responsibility you can go ahead and do that whenever you like.

TV and Broadband (Internet) are more of a challenge. Strictly speaking these coaxial type cables shouldn't be adapted by customers. It's quite important that the ends are well made and generally they are well installed to avoid interference and other issues. Changing the length of the existing cables can be sufficient to upset your connectivity as the wiring resitance might alter just enough to cause issues if you are already on the edge of marginal signal strengths.

Depending on the loads, and what other services you have to the proeprty overall, you may want a single co-axial cable run from the connection box, to be split locally next to the appliances. You may want a pair of cables. That's the sort of thing that the installers check. Cables are normally run from a splitter on the external box of the house to the point where a modem or STB will be connected, but should normally also have an isolator in the curcuit, often in a small white or grey box, skirting mounted inside.