PDA

View Full Version : Whatever Virgin Have Done Please Reverse it

Bonglet
02-11-2010, 02:18
Whatever Trial of whatever hardware/software vm are doing can someone please tell them to reverse it What a uterly diabolic service for the past week this weekend and tonight 1/11/10 being totally unresponsive even now still timing out and not responding to anything i try and do.

I would post pictures of this shambolic service but ohh dear nothing bloody well responds, ahh well ill just keep adding them to my hells diary of nothingness give everyone a chuckle once this gets useable again.

Thank the lord for the copy and paste god.

Paul
02-11-2010, 02:47
What makes you think you are on some sort of trial ?

More likely just a fault - have you actually reported it ?

jamie price
02-11-2010, 03:00
Whatever Trial of whatever hardware/software vm are doing can someone please tell them to reverse it What a uterly diabolic service for the past week this weekend and tonight 1/11/10 being totally unresponsive even now still timing out and not responding to anything i try and do.

I would post pictures of this shambolic service but ohh dear nothing bloody well responds, ahh well ill just keep adding them to my hells diary of nothingness give everyone a chuckle once this gets useable again.

Thank the lord for the copy and paste god.

its because there updating to 100mb broadband y u need it that fast i do not no i phoned them about 2 hours ago and asked for money off my bill as the servise is un unsable and got 2 MONTHS FREE PITURE BOX..

Bonglet
02-11-2010, 03:03
Yes i have reported it Paul m and complained about it.
Still ongoing as we speak.

roger skillin
02-11-2010, 12:25
Hmmm you havn't actually said in the tread what you are having problems with, broadband? Tv? what is not responding?

chrisjones
02-11-2010, 14:19
Common sense suggests he's talking about his broadband connection....

That said it could just be a signal level fault..

roger skillin
02-11-2010, 14:25
Common sense suggests he's talking about his broadband connection....

That said it could just be a signal level fault..

Saying that something is unresponsive does not suggest it's broadband as the v box can become unresponsive so no it is not common sense so do not insult me

pip08456
02-11-2010, 14:26
Without any further info we will never know.

Bonglet
02-11-2010, 15:56
It was/is my broadband connection wife has just got off the phone with india support, and had to rephone till got through to uk engineer booked for tommorow seems a bit better now how long it will last for is anyones idea.

One of the strange things that happened last night was this :confused:

Download Failed (1) (http://img838.imageshack.us/i/virginpingteststrangere.jpg/)

chrisjones
02-11-2010, 16:46
Saying that something is unresponsive does not suggest it's broadband as the v box can become unresponsive so no it is not common sense so do not insult me

Chill out, ppl are so edgy in here!!

My reasoning for suggesting he was talking about his broadband was down to him mentioning 'times out' and 'copy and paste' two things would wouldn't really connect to a Cable TV issue.

No one was insulting you or attempting to...

vanman
02-11-2010, 16:59
It was/is my broadband connection wife has just got off the phone with india support, and had to rephone till got through to uk engineer booked for tommorow seems a bit better now how long it will last for is anyones idea.

One of the strange things that happened last night was this :confused:

http://img838.imageshack.us/img838/511/virginpingteststrangere.jpg (http://img838.imageshack.us/i/virginpingteststrangere.jpg/)that weird the date on the ping test is:scratch: august 2009

Sirius
02-11-2010, 17:00
Now i wonder if this has anything to do with the dreaded Traffic Shaping ????

Dai
02-11-2010, 17:16
that weird the date on the ping test is:scratch: august 2009

Those poor packets have clearly been stuck in a comcast loop and have finally escaped via Virgin.

Efour
02-11-2010, 20:07
Last 2 days my Service has been absolutely crap too, im in RM11 a friend of mien is in Southampton and he has the problems too.

im guessing / hoping its because of upgrade work, they have taken down a load of capacity and squeezing everyone into a much smaller space..

Ping tests and speed tests are flawless but anything including gaming is just diabolical

dr aardvark
02-11-2010, 22:11
performance in leeds the last couple of days has been crap also.

nutellajunkie
02-11-2010, 22:16
JITTERBUUUUUUUG!!!

It was wacky up here for a while too...

Just pour your coffee over the modem..

Stan the Man
03-11-2010, 23:40
performance in leeds the last couple of days has been crap also.

Yes agreed, appauling for me too LS14

Worst i have ever had even when i was on the 10 or 20mb packages it was never this poor:mad:

Hugh
04-11-2010, 10:17
Strange - LS16 has been/is fine (on 20Mb).

Efour
04-11-2010, 10:33
Are we talking about gaming performance here ?

Hugh
04-11-2010, 11:38
I am (as well as d/l, streaming, and browsing) - I have been playing Call Of Duty with no issues.

Harlow CM20
04-11-2010, 12:46
Are we talking about gaming performance here ?

My connection was appalling last night, online gaming was impossible and a 30MB file took several minutes to DL.

Downstream light on my modem would pause for 2-3 seconds, then it would come back on for 3-4 seconds and then pause again for 2-3 seconds etc...

That is not a Broadband Connection in my opinion and this ongoing appalling level of service has got to end soon.

Service: 20MB

pabscars
04-11-2010, 12:54
Just read an interesting post on VM's forum in the WoW thread claiming VM treat gaming traffic as low priority and therefore push it the back of the view so to speak.

Can anyone confirm or deny this please

---------- Post added at 11:54 ---------- Previous post was at 11:53 ----------

edit I mean "Queue" not "view"

soz

pip08456
04-11-2010, 13:30
Just read an interesting post on VM's forum in the WoW thread claiming VM treat gaming traffic as low priority and therefore push it the back of the view so to speak.

Can anyone confirm or deny this please

---------- Post added at 11:54 ---------- Previous post was at 11:53 ----------

edit I mean "Queue" not "view"

soz

VM can

This policy does not impact any applications other than Peer to Peer and Newsgroups, so things like watching iPlayer, online gaming, making calls via Skype, downloading music tracks from iTunes or streaming them from Spotify and sending an email or normal browsing are unaffected.

pabscars
04-11-2010, 14:26
VM can

This policy does not impact any applications other than Peer to Peer and Newsgroups, so things like watching iPlayer, online gaming, making calls via Skype, downloading music tracks from iTunes or streaming them from Spotify and sending an email or normal browsing are unaffected.

Thanks pip, although I appreciate the response just look how many people complained about the problems with WoW, this kind of makes a mockery of the above statement from VM and therefore doesn't really answer the question.

I,m not having a pop pip :D, just trying to ascertain the truth.

Chrysalis
04-11-2010, 14:33
VM can

to be honest that ahould say, They aim to not impact other applications because the statement you posted appears to be false based on current reports. If it was p2p/nntp only then a tbb speedtest on port 8095 should be unshaped.

pip08456
04-11-2010, 15:27
Thanks pip, although I appreciate the response just look how many people complained about the problems with WoW, this kind of makes a mockery of the above statement from VM and therefore doesn't really answer the question.

I,m not having a pop pip :D, just trying to ascertain the truth.

The problem with WOW was caused by the recent update from Blizzard which caused it to be recognised as P2P traffic. Now that VM have corrected it there doesn't appear to be the some problems.

Chrys, I've never had a good result from TBB.

Chrysalis
04-11-2010, 15:36
The problem with WOW was caused by the recent update from Blizzard which caused it to be recognised as P2P traffic. Now that VM have corrected it there doesn't appear to be the some problems.

Chrys, I've never had a good result from TBB.

p2p traffic doesnt match the new blizzard packets, this seems to show that VM treat unclassified traffic as p2p. Because blizzard made the change and caused the traffic to becme unclassified.

As I said before my assumption at this point is VM are treating anything not specified by default as p2p and they have specific rules in place for exclusions such as http and games.

pip08456
04-11-2010, 15:55
The BT and O2 did the same as there was complaints from their customers as well.

lowei
04-11-2010, 23:39
VM can

Is xbox classed as p2p??

pabscars
05-11-2010, 00:22
Is xbox classed as p2p??

Although VM say gaming isn't affected by the new shaping I'm guessing the new protocols are seeing xbox and PSN traffic as p2p and therefore screwing with it.

Ive just had half a dozen games on my ps3 and the lag and overall behaviour was utter tripe to put it politely, I was hosting a 5 player match and getting ridiculous lag as well as others connecting too me.

I had to turn it off in the end before I launched my controller through the screen

The behaviour was just like it was when my upstream port was fubar, needless to say I will be complaining to the CEO's office again in the morning.

pabscars
05-11-2010, 10:29
Complaint sent