PDA

View Full Version : The Area has been capped!

jenzo
01-11-2010, 21:57
Hi

Just got off the phone with the support team. I use software to download stuff and I am on the 10meg setting. I am fully aware of the traffic management process and know i need to wait until 8:50 - 9:00 pm before downloading anything greater than 1gb +

At 9pm tonight I started downloading a film and only got between 1.5 - 4 mb download speed.

pip08456
01-11-2010, 22:06
And just in case you missed it in your other thread.

Read here (http://help.virginmedia.com/system/selfservice.controller?CONFIGURATION=1002&PARTITION_ID=1&TIMEZONE_OFFSET=&USERTYPE=&VM_CUSTOMER_TYPE=Cable&CMD=VIEW_ARTICLE&ARTICLE_ID=2781)

jenzo
01-11-2010, 22:14
Sorry about the 2 thread. Press enter on these computers and they please themselves.

I still don't get it though. I did not go online until after 9pm and the traffic management should not apply then as I have not triggered it. I have not downloaded 750meg and cap seems to have kicked in

pip08456
01-11-2010, 22:24
Sorry about the 2 thread. Press enter on these computers and they please themselves.

I still don't get it though. I did not go online until after 9pm and the traffic management should not apply then as I have not triggered it. I have not downloaded 750meg and cap seems to have kicked in

Happens to us all at times PC's seem to have a mind of their own a kind Mod will delete one of them.

The traffic shaping is a sort of third layer of restrictions, unfair it could be said but only affects P2P and newsgroups and only kicks in if your local area is being hammered.

I only suggest that this is what is affecting you but from your first post I assume it is.

"We also moderate the total volume of file sharing traffic on our network between 5pm and midnight on weekdays and midday and midnight on weekends. This policy is restricted to Peer to Peer (“P2P”) applications and Newsgroups (which are commonly used to distribute large amounts of data) "

Hugh
01-11-2010, 22:32
Other Thread closed.

Ignitionnet
01-11-2010, 22:45
Hi

Just got off the phone with the support team. I use software to download stuff and I am on the 10meg setting. I am fully aware of the traffic management process and know i need to wait until 8:50 - 9:00 pm before downloading anything greater than 1gb +

At 9pm tonight I started downloading a film and only got between 1.5 - 4 mb download speed.

When downloading a film you'll likely only get slowed down if you're not paying for the download and getting it from torrents or newsgroups or similar. Downloads from legit sites and sources get left alone.

VM can kinda justify it as strictly speaking you shouldn't be helping yourself to movies or anything else that's copyright using their service.

In future if complaining about shaping down of your traffic complain about trying to download a Linux ISO or World of Warcraft patches. Hard to complain too loudly because Virgin are slowing down your ability to unlawfully download a film ;)

v0id
01-11-2010, 23:00
In future if complaining about shaping down of your traffic complain about trying to download a Linux ISO or World of Warcraft patches. Hard to complain too loudly because Virgin are slowing down your ability to unlawfully download a film ;)

Getting a film via Bittorrent isn't always unlawfull ;)

pip08456
01-11-2010, 23:04

No but 99% of the times it is.

Ignitionnet
01-11-2010, 23:04

I apologise, this could have been that 1 in 10,000 that wasn't ;)

pip08456
01-11-2010, 23:07
Drat! that's 99.99% (I think)

caph
02-11-2010, 00:14
Seriously? You were illegally downloading a film and you rang VM and told them that?

Sirius
02-11-2010, 00:47
Seriously? You were illegally downloading a film and you rang VM and told them that?

There's one born everyday remember :LOL:

bywater
02-11-2010, 01:19
I download free movies all the time using the sky any time player software and all perfectly legal why does everyone always assume and jump to conclusions that anyone downloading movies are doing so illegally. If the cap fits. ;)

jenzo
02-11-2010, 07:00
Caph & Sirius Get a grip of yourselves.

No I did not in anyway suggest I was downloading illigal movies.

If you recall the launch of vm 100meg service, they themselves use downloading movies / playing on the xbox live etc as plenty reason why we need more bandwidth.

Dont jump to conclusions.
Respect has left the building!

Ignitionnet
02-11-2010, 08:09
I download free movies all the time using the sky any time player software and all perfectly legal why does everyone always assume and jump to conclusions that anyone downloading movies are doing so illegally. If the cap fits. ;)

Because Sky Anytime isn't P2P or Usenet ;)

tweetiepooh
03-11-2010, 12:43
The only movie I've downloaded is "The Wizard of Speed and Time" that has been released as a "good karma" version since there is no official DVD at this time.

It is perfectly legal to download this version (via torrent) and make copies as long as you leave it as downloaded and don't charge.

But don't forget that if the source of the file you want or any bit in between is slow then your download will also be slow and it's nothing to do with VM. (Thinks back to early 90's on SuperJANET downloading a file from a source on a 64kb line.)

(Just a shame that it's not the Medusa Films version released in the UK).

Anywho - just shows that not all downloads are illegal, even of copyright material.

psyfur
03-11-2010, 13:03
My usenet service was playing up with speeds but the line wasnt capped for going over the allowance. Being sneaky I moved to SSL usenet and the speed went through the roof. Where there's a will there's a downloader

Monkeylord
03-11-2010, 13:08
The only movie I've downloaded is "The Wizard of Speed and Time" that has been released as a "good karma" version since there is no official DVD at this time.

It is perfectly legal to download this version (via torrent) and make copies as long as you leave it as downloaded and don't charge.

But don't forget that if the source of the file you want or any bit in between is slow then your download will also be slow and it's nothing to do with VM. (Thinks back to early 90's on SuperJANET downloading a file from a source on a 64kb line.)

(Just a shame that it's not the Medusa Films version released in the UK).

Anywho - just shows that not all downloads are illegal, even of copyright material.

PM me info/link please... I LOOOOVE that film!!! I take it it's from the laserdisc version.

OT:
I keep reading about people complaing that their online gaming/consoles seem slower. Last week it took me about 2hrs to download the 2GB "Minerva's Den" add-on for Bioshock 2 on the 360. Immediately after it finished I did a speedcheck and everything was hunky dory. Coincidence, or something more sinister?

pip08456
03-11-2010, 13:25
PM me info/link please... I LOOOOVE that film!!! I take it it's from the laserdisc version.

OT:
I keep reading about people complaing that their online gaming/consoles seem slower. Last week it took me about 2hrs to download the 2GB "Minerva's Den" add-on for Bioshock 2 on the 360. Immediately after it finished I did a speedcheck and everything was hunky dory. Coincidence, or something more sinister?

Here (http://www.torrenthound.com/hash/a1fdd823effee54dca73537aa3a0b14c3454803c/torrent-info/The-Wizard-of-Speed-and-Time) you go. And yes it is from the laserdisc version.

Monkeylord
03-11-2010, 13:38
Here (http://www.torrenthound.com/hash/a1fdd823effee54dca73537aa3a0b14c3454803c/torrent-info/The-Wizard-of-Speed-and-Time) you go. And yes it is from the laserdisc version.

Awesome... I get to annoy the GF with the theme tune again :D It'll be stuck in her head for WEEKS!

linwelin
03-11-2010, 14:29
oh wait so if i buy a game from steam i can safely download that game without being traffic managed ? i could download HD videos from gametrailers.com and not be traffic managed also ?

weesteev
03-11-2010, 15:46
oh wait so if i buy a game from steam i can safely download that game without being traffic managed ? i could download HD videos from gametrailers.com and not be traffic managed also ?

No, traffic management and traffic shaping are different things altogether.

If you exceed your download limit of your connection within the given time period, your speed will be reduced in line with the Traffic Management policy.

If you download over Usenet or P2P and there is to much of either traffic on your node, then your Usenet or P2P speed will be reduced accordingly.

Hope that helps