PDA

View Full Version : installation quere

martin kelly
31-10-2010, 18:47
just wondering if this is right i have virgin media installed in my house the cable runs from outside into my house but last week my wife seen a guy in our garden running a cable from the box on our outside wall into next door she went out and asked him what he was doing he said he was from virgin (he had a white van but it wasnt sign written) and installing next doors tv package i was just wondering if this was common practise to use the 1 incoming cable for 2 propertys or should next door have there own cable from the street any help would be great

Stuart
31-10-2010, 19:40
No, it is not, although the contractors have been known to do that to save the extra effort of running an extra connection at the green box in the road.

Even if this is the case, I'd recommend reporting it to VM, as it could cause problems with your cable connection.

:welcome: to the forum, btw.

Jonnymeg
31-10-2010, 19:41
No it is not common practice but it does happen from time to time as a temporary measure to get your neighbour installed on the day.
It happens when there is a fault on the neighbours own cable or for some reason they just don't have one.

BUT

It should never be done without your permission and the installer should have arranged for an permanent solution to be booked and the date for the works to be given to you and your neighbour.

Go and ask your neighbour if they have a date, if not then they need to chase this up immediately.
If done correctly it should not impact on your service but it does need to be corrected.

Dave_
31-10-2010, 21:38
When you say your wall is it actually on the fenceline?

2 drops into 1 shared omni box is very normal.

weesteev
31-10-2010, 23:38
When you say your wall is it actually on the fenceline?

2 drops into 1 shared omni box is very normal.

Correct, if its a semi detached then there's a good chance that one Tee has 2 drops leading to one omni box on the side of the wall. Are there 2 distinct Siamese cables leading in from the bottom of the omni box? If so then that explains it, if not then it will be a temporary install.