PDA

View Full Version : What's happening in glasgow?

kandinsky
31-10-2010, 13:32
No tv or Internet...anyone know what's happened?

Octimon
31-10-2010, 14:09
Virgin media is what's happened. Our broadband was out Friday as well. Not at all happy with yet more poor service from vm. Est fix time is 15.42 per web site - not 15.00 or 16.00 but 15.42 exactly!!!

jem16
31-10-2010, 14:09
Good question.

Nothing here in the Rutherglen area of Glasgow. Don't have TV only internet but it's been down for about an hour now.

Phone is OK but trying to phone Virgin just gives me a "we're busy, try again later" message.

Anybody know what's happening?

Barton71
31-10-2010, 14:34
TV and Internet is down in Paisley also. Been down since about 11:30am, although my connection has been dropping off and on since Friday, especially when using bittorrent.

gmudos
31-10-2010, 15:06
TV and BB down since 11:00am. The CS number gives you a pre-recorded message saying, 'We're busy,try again later. Thanks and goodbye'.

What a joke.

Barton71
31-10-2010, 15:23
The VM Twitter feed is saying its a problem with the Glasgow headend or something and that they are trying to fix it at the moment.

GordonD
31-10-2010, 15:23
Clearly there is a fault and those things do happen! Do you think VM do this on purpose?

gmudos
31-10-2010, 15:31
Clearly there is a fault and those things do happen! Do you think VM do this on purpose?

Clearly VM don't know how to communicate faults to their customers.

GordonD
31-10-2010, 15:37
How would they if BB & TV is down? Your not surely expecting a personal phone call from them? The fact their phone lines are busy would suggect an awful lot of people are trying to ring them.

However from the VM Support forum "Quote from Alex Brown - Looks like there's a problem at the Glasgow headend from the e-mail I just saw from our problem management team. People working to get it fixed ASAP right now."

gmudos
31-10-2010, 15:44
I'm sure they are working flat out to resolve the issue. However, I don't believe an update on their website is enough, especially when the customers they are trying to update are using their broadband service.

A busy phone line verifies nothing.

kandinsky
31-10-2010, 16:10
Working again... have nt checked tv yet.

:)

Henkesghost
31-10-2010, 16:27
It's all on now

Scruff
31-10-2010, 17:32
Mine working again - I phoned up and was told a refund would be applied to my account for Sky sports, BB and TV. I didn't even ask for it - got though to a call centre in UK as well - fantastic ! These things happen I suppose.

Stuart
31-10-2010, 19:45
Clearly VM don't know how to communicate faults to their customers.

They do. They publish it online.. http://status-cable.virginmedia.com/vmstatus/summary.do

Even though I can't find the link on the VM website (although I did only spend 2 minutes looking), it's published at the base of nearly every page on this site.

dynamix
31-10-2010, 19:59
Broadband and telly was down here in east renfrewshire earlier, back now but 50mb broadband is now really slow anyone elses slow? Hopefully sort itself out soon.

Lone Star
31-10-2010, 20:11
Broadband and telly was down here in east renfrewshire earlier, back now but 50mb broadband is now really slow anyone elses slow? Hopefully sort itself out soon.

In Giffnock, I'm getting 13 to 14 Mbps on a 20Mbps connection. Not brilliant but not too bad either.

callanish
31-10-2010, 21:07
Has anyone in Scotland outside of Greenock gotten the Upload upgrade yet?

craigie1
31-10-2010, 21:11
Tv and broadband was off for 3 hours in Renfrew. Problem is that the past year it's happening with alarming regularity. It's always around 3-4 hours as well with CS not accessible. I'm fed up with it. Also fed up with the fact that on 10MG Broadband Im getting an average speed of 1.75. it goes incredibly slow regularly. One day out of the blue I got 15 mg then back to slow next day.

I mean if I went to Tescos and bought a loaf and there was say 5 slices missing I would go back, have a complain and they would take it very seriously and apologise and recompense me. With VM and others broadband we have been trained to not complain about the fact that a huge chunk of the customers do not get what they pay for. I cant beleive how OFCOM reports this but doesn't do anything about it. Trading standards as well, it we were being shortchanged in any other aspect of consumer products, they would be on them like a ton of bricks.

I'm fed up with the whole thing, got a call centre in the Philipines last week, the girl couldnt understand a word I was saying and vice versa.

dan dority
31-10-2010, 21:21
im getting 20 meg from a 50 meg connection

weesteev
31-10-2010, 23:45
Has anyone in Scotland outside of Greenock gotten the Upload upgrade yet?

Its only the Greenock (Inverclyde) UBR's that has been completed so far.

KenK
01-11-2010, 00:15
They do. They publish it online.. http://status-cable.virginmedia.com/vmstatus/summary.doThat's not really much use when you have no internet access because of the fault. How hard is it to put a recorded message on the faults phone line?

callanish
01-11-2010, 04:32
Its only the Greenock (Inverclyde) UBR's that has been completed so far.

Okay, thanks. Kinda realized I was off topic with that question, so appreciate the answer.

craigie1
01-11-2010, 14:13
im getting 20 meg from a 50 meg connection

That is ridiculous.

Stuart
01-11-2010, 15:14
That's not really much use when you have no internet access because of the fault. How hard is it to put a recorded message on the faults phone line?

They do that sometimes as well..

Chrysalis
01-11-2010, 17:33
the best reasonable expectation is update on their website which they appeared to have done.

its not cost and time effective to ring customers up.

KenK
01-11-2010, 22:49
They do that sometimes as well..
... but not on Sunday. All we got was (paraphrased) "we're busy, call back later" - customer service at its finest.
the best reasonable expectation is update on their website which they appeared to have done.See previous post - what use is an update on a website to customers who have no internet connection? :confused:
its not cost and time effective to ring customers up.I nominate this for the "&*££%^@' obvious post of the year". :rolleyes:

pip08456
01-11-2010, 23:08
To be fair they could've emailed you :D:D:D

KenK
01-11-2010, 23:16
To be fair they could've emailed you :D:D:DHa Ha

Chrysalis
02-11-2010, 02:08
kenk obviously if no net access at all then no use, but what else can they do reasonably to both parties? letter would be after it got fixed, phone call is just silly.

Most isp's will have status pages, whether it be broadband isp's or ones providing hosting services, the argument may come if there is no internet access they useless, but often people can go online from work, or alternate net access such as 3G and check that way, so it does have a purpose.

dynamix
02-11-2010, 20:27
I am getting 10-20mb speeds on a 50mb connection at the moment (7.30pm), surely i should be getting full speed even though it is peak time? Is it worth ringing them up and complaining?

Browsing seems to be slow compared to normal aswell with some sites being extremely slow and even timing out.

KenK
02-11-2010, 22:50
kenk obviously if no net access at all then no use, but what else can they do reasonably to both parties? As previously posted, put a message on the faults line. It's not difficult, they've done it before.

Online status pages have very limited use. Not every customer has, or wants to pay for, internet access; some just want to pay for their TV to work. My VM-supplied online access was unavailable; on a Sunday I wasn't about to drive for 45 minutes each way just to check their web page from work; and I don't have mobile internet access. So all I could do was keep ringing 151, thus clogging up that system as well.

Chrysalis
02-11-2010, 23:32
yeah fair enough, they can have that match whatever is on the status page.