PDA

View Full Version : Broadband Speed OK on Laptop But Not on PC

[Mark]
30-10-2010, 19:32
I have been a VM customer for many years and have been more than happy with the broadband speed and service. I am on the 20 meg cable service and used to get download speeds of around 16 meg and upload of about 0.5 meg

Recently I noticed the speed reduced greatly and used speedtest.net and speedtest.bbmax.com and got speeds in the region of 5meg download and 0.3 upload. This is obviously way below what I would expect.

I telephoned the helpline and they had me repeat the above tests and was then told to switch off, wait an hour then start again as the operative was going to send some signal from India to sort the problem!

Using my pc I still find around the same results. However connecting with my work laptop I get 18.40 down and 0.7 up. I'm connecting directly with my VM modem and not through a router.

I'm therefore thinking that there's something wrong with the pc in terms of settings etc.

Any ideas or help would be appreciated

Mark

jb66
30-10-2010, 19:57
Try disabling your anti virus to see if that's causing it

[Mark]
30-10-2010, 20:04
I have the VM security suite. Unfortunately it makes no difference to the speed whether this is working or not