PDA

View Full Version : Freeview signal how to increase?

lostbird
29-10-2010, 23:03
:angel:

Just gota 19" Teccknique TV with integrated freeview but cannot receive all channels like BBC1,2, 3. All my very old TVs all over the house get freeview with a cheap digibox.

Do I need a TV ariel booster, and which kind (I have looked on Maplin site and they don't really say it will help receive these channels just improve picture), or is it a waste of money?:

This new TV has a receiver of 2.4V and unable to upgrade it manually, and also understand it needs 85% signal strength.

Yet the old 10year old TV works with Freesat on 68% strength old Sky dish, and also with a cheap freeview box.

Is it the strength of the receiver within the new TV?? and will an ariel booster work????

Thank you anyone who can help this female struggling to help herself.

:dunce:

Kymmy
29-10-2010, 23:06
Thread moved to Freesat/Freeview forum

Welcome to the forum..
Best way is a new higher gain antenna, next best is a masthead amp and least best is a booster near the TV (as it amplifies not only the signal but also the noise picked up by the co-ax..

haydnwalker
30-10-2010, 00:19
We had a new high gain antenna fitted for our freeview, however the signal didn't improve, so we ended up purchasing a powered booster, works fine now. I think some of the issue with ours was lack of bandwidth for freeview until analogue is switched off.

nodrogd
30-10-2010, 00:48
Receiver sensitivity can be a real problem, as there is a deal of variance between manufacturers and in some cases between models.

For example, in our lounge I have an Integrated Freeview TV which registers 100% on signal level on the BBC Mux. The DVD recorder that feeds it, bought at the same time from the same manufacturer gives only 70% signal on the same Mux.

What action you need to take depends on your existing aerial system. If you have a single aerial with a distribution system, it may be that the feed to this one room is poor. What was the analogue picture like before you changed the set, was it grainy or otherwise poorer than the picture in the other rooms? If not a low gain booster may make the difference between getting a service and not getting one. If it was poorer the cable and connections need checking. A last resort, and the most expensive option, would be a separate aerial for this one set.

Kymmy
30-10-2010, 00:57
All the difference in signal strength means is that the calibration of the signal meter is wrong or set differently ;)

Both recievers will recieve the same signal and yes one reciever wil perhaps have a different front end gain/image rejection than another but as long as the picture is good then it's not a problem unlike analogue ;)

nodrogd
30-10-2010, 01:17
Exactly. The signal strength displays are at best just a guide to what is coming in. Signal quality measurement is a far better indicator, but a lot of Freeview equipment does not offer this, unlike its Freesat/Sky counterparts.