PDA

View Full Version : Routers

swiftflo
23-10-2010, 12:41
When I updated to XL I was supplied with a Virgin Hub, this I thought was giving out a poor signal to my iphone 8mtrs away, so I mentioned it to Customer Services when they rang to see if I was having any more problems(to long a story to relate) he suggested maybe I would be better off with a seperate router & modem. Virgin sent me a D-link router plus a modem. No way could I get this to work on my imac. I disconnected this from my system and connected up the Hub again, this did not work and I had 2 lights flashing, the ready light & the one below. Contacted the activating people and in the end an engineer is coming Tuesday to have a look.
The moral of this tale is if you have an imac computer as I have - beware D-link routers.:confused:

tweetiepooh
26-10-2010, 09:41
Don't know if it would work but switch off wireless in "Hub" and attach router to LAN port of "Hub" and configure as an access point.

You could be really "clever" and add it as a router but the config would be harder to sort out.

Kymmy
26-10-2010, 09:51
D-links work perfectly well with MACs in fact I don't think that there is a router that doesn't, what is though normally the issue is configuration..

As the saying goes don't blame the car if you have no idea how to use a manual gearbox!!!

swiftflo
26-10-2010, 12:24
As I said previously no way could I get the D-link to work with my imac & I am not a newcomer to the mac computer I consider I am as good as the next. LOL. However I disconnected the D-link & reconnected the original modem I had when I first signed up to Virgin, this worked okay so that I had internet. Last night in preparation for the engineer coming I reconnected the Hub, low & behold it went through all the procedure of a new installation & is working okay now without me altering any of the configuration, in fact I noticed my iphone had connected again without any input from me.
So I phoned & cancelled the engineers visit.

Kymmy
26-10-2010, 13:18
You sure that the new modem was activated?? You can't blame the dlink for that but instead the way that VM's activation works

pip08456
26-10-2010, 13:33
The new modem couldn't have been activated otherwise the hub would not be wortking now.

Can't have 2 modems on one account.

swiftflo
27-10-2010, 12:09
The new modem couldn't have been activated otherwise the hub would not be wortking now.

Can't have 2 modems on one account.
The new modem "was" activated as I went through the activation procedure with Virgin by ringing 151 and pressing the other numbers. I even gave them the modem number.

Please what else was I supposed to do ?.

Here is a hypothetical question : If at some future date I have a problem with the Hub and decide to buy a Apple Airport Extreme base station (router) and then reconnect my "old" modem up to it what do I do then to get the "old"modem working.

jungleguy
01-11-2010, 03:05
The new modem "was" activated as I went through the activation procedure with Virgin by ringing 151 and pressing the other numbers. I even gave them the modem number.

Please what else was I supposed to do ?.

Here is a hypothetical question : If at some future date I have a problem with the Hub and decide to buy a Apple Airport Extreme base station (router) and then reconnect my "old" modem up to it what do I do then to get the "old"modem working.

Hi you'll need to get the old modem registered onto the account by ringing CS, but I have a feeling they'll need to send you a new one, saying that I think just plugging the Airport Extreme into a spare ethernet port of the Mouter will work. Also the new hub (Modem Router.....Mouter) is rubbish, nothing but problems with it.

Also the Dlink set up CD is PC only, using a Mac you would have needed to set it up manually. That's probably what you problem was.

cheers

swiftflo
01-11-2010, 16:52
Hi you'll need to get the old modem registered onto the account by ringing CS, but I have a feeling they'll need to send you a new one, saying that I think just plugging the Airport Extreme into a spare ethernet port of the Mouter will work. Also the new hub (Modem Router.....Mouter) is rubbish, nothing but problems with it.

Also the Dlink set up CD is PC only, using a Mac you would have needed to set it up manually. That's probably what you problem was.

cheers

Many thanks for your reply, bit the bullet and I am now sorted with the Apple Airport Extreme Base Station.:D