PDA

View Full Version : Wireless connection

swiftflo
21-10-2010, 17:34
Help please. I have today received a new Dlink dir615 router & modem. When I first registered the new modem I could get the router connecting by wireless to my imac. Now however I cannot get the wireless connection at all only the ethernet connection. I have tried a reset on the router but everytime I try to connect by wireless I am asked for a password. When I enter the password which is the same as when I go into the router setup I am told it is a invalid password.

Stabhappy
21-10-2010, 17:40
When connecting to a wireless network generally the password is different to that of the router log-in. It's separate to the router interface log in entirely.

Wire your imac up, browse to the router page, and find the wireless setup. specify a new password there and use that. your router log in password will not change.

swiftflo
21-10-2010, 18:13
When connecting to a wireless network generally the password is different to that of the router log-in. It's separate to the router interface log in entirely.

Wire your imac up, browse to the router page, and find the wireless setup. specify a new password there and use that. your router log in password will not change.

Sorry I cannot find anywhere that refers to a password in wireless setup.

Stabhappy
21-10-2010, 18:22
I don't have my Dir 615 set up at the moment so I can't check myself, perhaps network key or wireless key? it should be in the same area as your encryption (generally WPA) and refers to specific access for wireless.

pip08456
21-10-2010, 18:28
Ssid?

Stabhappy
21-10-2010, 18:47
It should be on that same page, yes, but SSID is just the name of the network..

Hang on, I'll go get my DIR615

---------- Post added at 18:47 ---------- Previous post was at 18:39 ----------

Wireless Setup -> Manual Wireless Connection Setup -> Network Key

swiftflo
21-10-2010, 18:59
It should be on that same page, yes, but SSID is just the name of the network..

Hang on, I'll go get my DIR615

---------- Post added at 18:47 ---------- Previous post was at 18:39 ----------

Wireless Setup -> Manual Wireless Connection Setup -> Network Key

I must have a different router to that which you have, there is no mention about "network key" on that page.
I have also just noticed that when I have the ethernet cable connected the "airport connection" is showing connected. If I disconnect the ethernet cable I then lose the "airport" connection.

pip08456
21-10-2010, 19:09
Airport? That's a different router and VM don't supply them.

swiftflo
21-10-2010, 19:37
Airport? That's a different router and VM don't supply them.
I think you are reading the post incorrectly. I have a Virgin dlink router (as detailed above) but the wireless connection on a imac is called "airport".

pip08456
21-10-2010, 20:53
I think you are reading the post incorrectly........ but the wireless connection on a imac is called "airport".

Not being a mind reader I saw no reference to an iMac in any previous post. Sorry just reread and it is there.

swiftflo
21-10-2010, 21:20
Not being a mind reader I saw no reference to an iMac in any previous post. Sorry just reread and it is there.
Sorry look at Post 1

pip08456
21-10-2010, 21:45
Now you're not reading posts:D:D:D

swiftflo
22-10-2010, 11:07
now you're not reading posts:d:d:d

:d:d:d:d:d:d

Paschal
24-10-2010, 19:29
hello guys,

did you get this resolved. I too have a problem. I have a prblem I have a cisco modem from VM (in west London) and a D link DIr 615 wireless router. I can get the internet from a desktop PC and an ethernet cable into router, and the internet fro ma wireless windows CE netbook. but whne I use a new windows 7 PC it sees the SSID of the wirelss router (and new anme when I change it etc from the desktop) - but thwe windows 7 PC says no internt connection. I have set it to no security - open and the windows CE netbook is fine.

The windows 7 netbook in diagnostics says the problem with with the cable router - but when I asked VM they say cos the PC and small netbook (the CE one) can see the internet the problem is with the windows 7 set up (sure see their point).

Anyone got any ideas what I should set the router up to ? I select DHCP ,and no security etc - any thing else I need.

All ideas graefully received

Paschal

gunner45
24-10-2010, 22:08
Just to confirm: does the W7 netbook have the same network config as the working CE netbook?

If so, a thought: if the W7 netbook has other configs, e.g. VPN, then remove them.