PDA

View Full Version : norton 2010 slowing internet speed

atlas15
19-10-2010, 18:08
The very nice man at the call centre says that the reason my 20mg broadband is only running at 9mg only is because Norton 2010 is slowing it down.
Any one else heard of this, that,s a new one on me.:confused:

Andrewcrawford23
19-10-2010, 18:38
The very nice man at the call centre says that the reason my 20mg broadband is only running at 9mg only is because Norton 2010 is slowing it down.
Any one else heard of this, that,s a new one on me.:confused:
well it could be without knowing teh tests done hardto say bu norton is really crap your better with no antivirus or firewall than having that on youir system

MovedGoalPosts
19-10-2010, 19:08
Any antivirus system worth it's salt is going to scan the data being recieved from the internet to your PC. There will always be a speed overhead on that. As to how much speed impact may depend on the configuration of the antivirus software, and the capabilities of your PC.

SnoopZ
19-10-2010, 19:18
well it could be without knowing teh tests done hardto say bu norton is really crap your better with no antivirus or firewall than having that on youir system

Since NIS 2009 Norton has lost its crap status in most reviews, it really is nothing like it used to be and is a very good piece of software which doesn't normally slow the computer down.

Andrewcrawford23
19-10-2010, 20:22
Since NIS 2009 Norton has lost its crap status in most reviews, it really is nothing like it used to be and is a very good piece of software which doesn't normally slow the computer down.
ive tried it its still crap and very easily hacked

edit: granted it is faster but the security side still mince

pip08456
19-10-2010, 22:59
An interseting aside to this. A friend of mine with ESET SS could not open Google or connect to the internet. He rang in and was told there's a lot of problems with ESET firewall been reported.

Funny since both myself and at least 10 others use exactly the same prog as him with no problem (and no it is not his settings they are exactly the same as mine.).

However he switched off ESET firewall went back to the windows one and has no problems.