PDA

View Full Version : Cable modem flashing Ready LED

flowrebmit
19-10-2010, 12:43
I have Cable TV and the 20Mb XL Cable modem, but not the phone service.

For a while now, I keep losing the connection to the internet - sometimes when I check the cable modem the Ready LED is flashing. Sometimes I can recover it by releasing and then renewing the DHCP from the Router, other times I have to switch off the router and VM Cable Modem then switch on first the Cable Modem, wait and then the Router.

Yesterday, it got really bad, I was home during the day, and I had to go through the release/renew DHCP or power off and on cycle, many times. Normally, I might have to go through the ritual once a week, or release/renew the DHCP

I dread calling the helpline but did so this morning when the internet connection dropped yet again. First problem, I don't have a Virgin Phone number, so I dial 0845 454 1111, but I am prompted for my Virgin phone number, all I can do is put in my BT phone number. Next I follow the menu options, to be told I've reached the wrong faults line, and they will put me through to Broadband, and the number went silent after being transferred. Ring up again, listen even more carefully to the menu options, to yet again arrive at the same fault apparently "wrong" department and then again put through to broadband.

Explain that my internet connection keeps going down, and that I often I see a flashing Ready LED on the modem. I'm asked if I have a wireless connection, and I say I have a router with both wireless and wired connections. I am then askedto wait, after a little while he tells me Cable modem is okay. I can't remember what the next step was but another wait, to be told the signals are low in my my area and that it will be fixed in 24 hours. When I asked what area the work was taking place in, there was a confused pause, and then he read back my full Postcode!

Cable Modem Downstream
Downstream Lock : Locked
Downstream Channel Id : 22
Downstream Frequency : 306750000 Hz
Downstream Modulation : QAM256
Downstream Symbol Rate : 6952 Ksym/sec
Downstream Interleave Depth : taps12Increment17
Downstream Receive Power Level : -4.3 dBmV
Downstream SNR : 36.9 dB

Cable Modem Upstream
Upstream Lock : Locked
Upstream Channel ID : 2
Upstream Frequency : 45800000 Hz
Upstream Modulation : QAM16
Upstream Symbol Rate : 2560 Ksym/sec
Upstream transmit Power Level : 61.0 dBmV
Upstream Mini-Slot Size : 2

According to the connection info:
cpc2-lock3-2-0-custxxx.x-x.cable.virginmedia.com

I've tried looking at the vmstatus but the server isn't responding and the 0800 talks about SO31 postcode but for telephone service not broadband.

Is there any other way that I can check if there is working going on in my area?
What phone number and menu choices am I supposed to use to get through the correct TS department given that I don't have a virgin media phone number?

Thanks, and sorry for the long post.

pabscars
19-10-2010, 12:50
Cable Modem Downstream
Downstream Lock : Locked
Downstream Channel Id : 22
Downstream Frequency : 306750000 Hz
Downstream Modulation : QAM256
Downstream Symbol Rate : 6952 Ksym/sec
Downstream Interleave Depth : taps12Increment17
Downstream Receive Power Level : -4.3 dBmV
Downstream SNR : 36.9 dB

Cable Modem Upstream
Upstream Lock : Locked
Upstream Channel ID : 2
Upstream Frequency : 45800000 Hz
Upstream Modulation : QAM16
Upstream Symbol Rate : 2560 Ksym/sec
Upstream transmit Power Level : 61.0 dBmV
Upstream Mini-Slot Size : 2

Upstream transmit power is too high me thinks, so you will need to give Tech Support a call to get it sorted.

In the mean time have you tried making sure all the connections are done up nice and tight inside and out on the vm equipment.

flowrebmit
19-10-2010, 13:00
Thanks, my upstream transmit Power Level is usually around 58 dBmV and 61 is highest that I've ever seen it reach.

My problem is that I've already contacted TS this morning, but I feel that maybe I am being fobbed off with an excuse that something is being fixed in your area? and I am trying to establish whether that is true or not?

pabscars
19-10-2010, 13:13
If you get no joy over the phone again try the virgin support forum,

http://community.virginmedia.com/

---------- Post added at 13:13 ---------- Previous post was at 13:03 ----------

Thanks, my upstream transmit Power Level is usually around 58 dBmV and 61 is highest that I've ever seen it reach.

My problem is that I've already contacted TS this morning, but I feel that maybe I am being fobbed off with an excuse that something is being fixed in your area? and I am trying to establish whether that is true or not?

I hear your pain, been there and bought the T-shirt, try the support forum if you wish but I would ring back preferably from a virgin land line if you can blag the use of a neighbours ;)

Tell them your upstream transmit power is too high and it needs an engineer to fix it, if you get fobbed off ring back and select the thinking of leaving us option, which should put you through to a uk agent.

From there you can explain your issues and why you want to leave ;), they will probably arrange a visit which should in turn sort out your issues.

If you don't fancy playing hard ball, ring them up just after 08:00 which gives a greater chance of getting through to a uk tech support agent

Mick Fisher
19-10-2010, 16:10
@ flowrebmit (http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/members/29034.html)

Your BB modem and router seem to be showing the same symptoms as mine . :(

After a number of outages over a period of a couple of months things came to a head after 2 days of connection dropping, ready light solid, ready light flashing and subsequent DHCP resetting, with the DL and UL speeds dropping so that it seemed I was permanent STM'ed.

India eventually sent me a new modem, power supply and ethernet cable after I had jumped through all theire hoops twice. The new modem actually caused things to get worse speedwise although I have only seen a flashing ready light when I initially tested it. It's been up for continuously for 5 days now. India point blank refused any further assistance when I told them the new modem had made things worse.

Help and Support forum haven't come up with anything. A few days after posting I was informed my levels seemed good and was I still experiencing low speeds. I replied yes and posted evidence. That was yesterday and to date I have had no reply.

Here's hoping you have better luck than me at getting your conn fixed. As for me, after being a sub for 15 or so years, I'm finally getting ready to throw in the towel. :(

https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2010/10/30.png

pip08456
19-10-2010, 23:10
@ flowrebmit (http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/members/29034.html)

Your BB modem and router seem to be showing the same symptoms as mine . :(

After a number of outages over a period of a couple of months things came to a head after 2 days of connection dropping, ready light solid, ready light flashing and subsequent DHCP resetting, with the DL and UL speeds dropping so that it seemed I was permanent STM'ed.

India eventually sent me a new modem, power supply and ethernet cable after I had jumped through all theire hoops twice. The new modem actually caused things to get worse speedwise although I have only seen a flashing ready light when I initially tested it. It's been up for continuously for 5 days now. India point blank refused any further assistance when I told them the new modem had made things worse.

Help and Support forum haven't come up with anything. A few days after posting I was informed my levels seemed good and was I still experiencing low speeds. I replied yes and posted evidence. That was yesterday and to date I have had no reply.

Here's hoping you have better luck than me at getting your conn fixed. As for me, after being a sub for 15 or so years, I'm finally getting ready to throw in the towel. :(

https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2010/10/30.png

First his router does not come into the equation - it's his power level which is too high and anyone with a modicum of knowledge would see this straight away.

Rather than giving an obviously uninformed opinion may I suggest you start a thread of your own and include the modem power levels and I am sure you will get help and advice on how to rectify your problem.

Mick Fisher
20-10-2010, 12:09
First his router does not come into the equation - it's his power level which is too high and anyone with a modicum of knowledge would see this straight away.
For a while now, I keep losing the connection to the internet - sometimes when I check the cable modem the Ready LED is flashing. Sometimes I can recover it by releasing and then renewing the DHCP from the Router, other times I have to switch off the router and VM Cable Modem then switch on first the Cable Modem, wait and then the Router.
Exactly the same symptoms as me.

Rather than giving an obviously uninformed opinion may I suggest you start a thread of your own and include the modem power levels and I am sure you will get help and advice on how to rectify your problem.
http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Fibre-optic-broadband-cable/Slow-20meg-NN10-area/td-p/152878

Looking forward to your informed opinion then. :rolleyes:

My post was directed specifically @flowrebmit (http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/members/29034.html) so I really do not see what your problem is. Why don't you just put me on Ignore. :o:

tweetiepooh
20-10-2010, 12:32
I get flashing Ready but no loss of service. Then loss of service after months of flashing.

Last time it was an area fault and it was sorted overnight.

flowrebmit
20-10-2010, 16:32
I had a web page open on my Cable modem yesterday, and I could monitor (using refresh button) as it continuously varied the Upstream transmit power level, trying to find a power level that would work.

In my case, if the connection drops, the Cable modem appears to automatically try to connect again, but my router will stop responding to DNS requests, and that is why I have to release/renew the DHCP. Perhaps, some routers behave differently, when a Cable modem has lost the connection?

I don't think I have a speed problem - I think that could be a different problem from the signal level. e.g. a contention issue, where the ISP has oversold their bandwidth in an area, and then won't increase the capacity.

pip08456
20-10-2010, 18:27
Until you get the upstream power level reduced by an engineer you won't be able to pinpoint another problem.