v2.0.2r1256-070601

Receive Power Level
10.1 dBmV

Transmit Power Level
39.0 dBmV

Cable Modem Status
Operational

Downstream Channel
The data shown in the table below provides information about the signal coming from the network to your cable modem.

Downstream Status
Operational

Channel ID

Downstream Frequency
331000000 Hz

Modulation
256QAM

Bit Rate
10240000 bits/sec

Power Level
9.9 dBmV

Signal to Noise Ratio
40.8 dB

Upstream Channel
The data shown in the table below provides information about the signal being transmitted to the network from your cable modem.

Upstream Status
Operational

Channel ID

Upstream Frequency
34000000 Hz

Modulation
16QAM

Symbol Rate
512000 bits/sec

Power Level
39.0 dBmV

MY PING IS 24MS - IS THIS GOOD OR BAD??

Sirius
17-10-2010, 19:36
details of my modem

Name
WebSTAR EPC2100R2

Modem Serial Number

Cable Modem MAC Address

Hardware Version

Software Version
v2.0.2r1256-070601

Receive Power Level
10.1 dBmV

Transmit Power Level
39.0 dBmV

Cable Modem Status
Operational

Downstream Channel
The data shown in the table below provides information about the signal coming from the network to your cable modem.

Downstream Status
Operational

Channel ID

Downstream Frequency
331000000 Hz

Modulation
256QAM

Bit Rate
10240000 bits/sec

Power Level
9.9 dBmV

Signal to Noise Ratio
40.8 dB

Upstream Channel
The data shown in the table below provides information about the signal being transmitted to the network from your cable modem.

Upstream Status
Operational

Channel ID

Upstream Frequency
34000000 Hz

Modulation
16QAM

Symbol Rate
512000 bits/sec

Power Level
39.0 dBmV

MY PING IS 24MS - IS THIS GOOD OR BAD??

I would edit your post and remove your macc address

jb66
17-10-2010, 20:21
Ping time is good signal is high but that doesn't cause slow internet

ash213
18-10-2010, 07:39
what do you guys suggesT?

cheers

Ignitionnet
18-10-2010, 08:56
Power level is a tad high and you haven't actually explained what the ping is to or why you think the service as a whole is slow.

More information on exactly what the problem is would be good, however your downstream power level is out of spec and should be adjusted in any event as it may be causing some issues.

ash213
18-10-2010, 17:39
chaps i just hooked my laptop up direct to the modem and its perfect speed.,

so it seems it could be a problem with my router...

its a d link 524.

what could be causing slow browsing speeds?

i have not changed a thing, we just have 2 laptops running on it and been perfect for years but suddenly past few days its been slow as fork,.

speed test claims its 9mbit speed, but it has been horrific browsing.

any tips what i can do with this awful router?

thanks

Ignitionnet
18-10-2010, 18:28
any tips what i can do with this awful router?

Doorstop?

ash213
18-10-2010, 18:30
lol cheers.......what should i upgrade to?

anything under 30 notes?

will vm give me one free?

---------- Post added at 18:30 ---------- Previous post was at 18:29 ----------

was thinkin this..

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B003BIEOP0

Mick Fisher
18-10-2010, 18:53
Folks seem to have a lot of issues with Belkin routers. :td:

ash213
18-10-2010, 19:19
anything else you guys could recomend? cheap router?
cheers

jb66
18-10-2010, 20:10
Id speak to virgin first, they might be able to help you out if you change package

TheNorm
27-10-2010, 13:44
My internet connection has been all over the place the past few days, usually very slow, sometimes dropping completely. "Service status" says there are no problems in my area. Here are the stats from the cable modem:

Type : Ambit ETH/USB Combo Cable Modem
Cable modem : Ambit Cable Modem
IP address : xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
Downstream Receive Power Level : -10.67 dBmv
Downstream SNR : 31.39 dB
Upstream Transmit Power Level : 58.00 dBmv

Can anyone tell me if these readings are outside expected limits?

Thanks in advance.

pip08456
27-10-2010, 13:53
Yep both upstream and downstream are, you need a texch out to adjust them.

pabscars
27-10-2010, 14:24
My internet connection has been all over the place the past few days, usually very slow, sometimes dropping completely. "Service status" says there are no problems in my area. Here are the stats from the cable modem:

Can anyone tell me if these readings are outside expected limits?

Thanks in advance.

You could have a bad connection somewhere inside or outside your property, I would check first before ringing in.

TheNorm
27-10-2010, 15:28
Yep both upstream and downstream are, you need a texch out to adjust them.

Are what? Low, high?

You could have a bad connection somewhere inside or outside your property, I would check first before ringing in.

Do you mean, screw and unscrew the connections to the modem?

tweetiepooh
27-10-2010, 15:32
Folks seem to have a lot of issues with Belkin routers. :td:

No problems with my PreN model.

pip08456
27-10-2010, 15:33
Are what? Low, high?

Not that it matters they are both too high. If they were both too low you would still have the same or similar problem.

More info here http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/12/26006-cable-modem-signal-levels.html

pabscars
27-10-2010, 15:41
where the cable enters your property you will notice several connection points from the brown box outside to any splitters and to where it terminates at your modem.

I would get a adjustable spanner or a pair of pliers and make sure they are nipped up good and proper.

pip08456
27-10-2010, 15:50
where the cable enters your property you will notice several connection points from the brown box outside to any splitters and to where it terminates at your modem.

I would get a adjustable spanner or a pair of pliers and make sure they are nipped up good and proper.

I would be surprised if that works but it has been known. The OP needs a tech out top sort out the problem.

jb66
27-10-2010, 21:21
Not that it matters they are both too high. If they were both too low you would still have the same or similar problem.

More info here http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/12/26006-cable-modem-signal-levels.html

Actually the downstream is too low

pip08456
27-10-2010, 21:50
Actually the downstream is too low

I meant to say it wouldn't matter if too high or low, it just didn't come out like that.

Still needs a tech though,

jb66
27-10-2010, 22:11
I meant to say it wouldn't matter if too high or low, it just didn't come out like that.

Still needs a tech though,

Seems to be to much attenutation, maybe he/she has been moved down a few taps

DJ-SWITCH
27-10-2010, 22:16
I keep geting alot of post-RS Errors when i watch syfyHD ive add this problem be 4 now its back the picture breaks up alot :mad::mad:

TheNorm
21-11-2010, 13:18
My internet connection has been all over the place the past few days, ....

Here is an update.

Last Saturday the cable modem was acting up, it seemed to be re-booting itself every five minutes. I couldn't see anything wrong with the connections (indoors or out), and the problem wasn't due to my router as I connected my laptop directly to the modem. In frustration I phoned 150 and after a 2 minute conversation with a pleasant man I was told that an engineer would visit me on Monday.

On Monday afternoon the engineer called me on my mobile phone saying he was on his way. He then turned up with an apprentice and a box, which contained a brand new modem/router (wireless N)! He swapped this with my old cable modem, and after a few minutes I logged on to a web page and completed some registration details. This must have fixed the problem, as the internet has been stable all week. The whole process was painless, very efficient and friendly - I would even say that it was a pleasure, as I learned something from the knowledgeable engineer.

However, there is still something that I find puzzling - the signal levels are similar (if not worse) than they were before. I also found it odd that the engineer didn't look at these levels, at least not as far as I could tell. Here are the details:

Connection

Startup ProcedureProcedureStatusCommentAcquire Downstream Channel402750000 HzLockedConnectivity StateOKOperationalBoot StateOKOperationalConfiguration FileOK SecurityEnabledBPI+Downstream ChannelLock StatusLockedModulationQAM256Channel ID4Symbol Rate5360537Downstream Frequency402750000 HzDownstream Power-13.0 dBmVSNR35.0 dBmV Upstream ChannelLock StatusLockedModulationQAM16Channel ID3Symbol Rate2560 Ksym/secUpstream Frequency34000000 HzUpstream Power61.0 dBmVPrimary Downstream Service FlowDownstream(0)SFID8708Max Traffic Rate10242000 bpsMax Traffic Burst3044 bytesMix Traffic Rate0 bpsPrimary Upstream Service FlowUpstream(0)SFID8707Max Traffic Rate514000 bpsMax Traffic Burst1600 bytesMix Traffic Rate0 bpsMax Concatenated Burst1522 bytesScheduling TypeBest EffortCurrent System Time:Sun Nov 21 13:15:57 2010

Is there anything to worry about?

pip08456
21-11-2010, 13:56
Downstream power level -13dBmV

Upstream power 61.0dBmV

Down is too low, up is too high IMO. I'd be calling it in.

jb66
21-11-2010, 15:38
This has not been fixed, your modem will go offline again, needs reported again

TheNorm
23-11-2010, 09:10
Downstream power level -13dBmV

Upstream power 61.0dBmV

Down is too low, up is too high IMO. I'd be calling it in.

This has not been fixed, your modem will go offline again, needs reported again

Thanks, but how should I handle this? Just phone up and say "my power levels need adjusting, even though everything seems to be working"?

pabscars
23-11-2010, 10:57
Just tell them your getting slow speeds and you have it on good authority that the power levels are way out of speck, they should send an engineer to sort it out.

If this doesn't work then you could try the "thinking of leaving us option", explaining your unhappy with your service and the slow speeds, which will probably result in an engineer visit

or you could post your issues on the vm forum which will take a few days for them to respond I believe but should still get the same result.

I would just ring up, if you get fobbed off, tell them you want to be put through to a line 2 tech support agent, and see how you go from there.

Peter_
23-11-2010, 13:06
Thanks, but how should I handle this? Just phone up and say "my power levels need adjusting, even though everything seems to be working"?
We can connect directly to your modem remotely and see the power levels for ourselves, so any agent seeing yours should book an engineer if they refuse ask to speak to a manager for an explanation.

Mick Fisher
23-11-2010, 16:32
I've had lots of outage/slow downloading problems with my broadband recently.

After jumping through all of India's hoops they insisted my modem was broken. After connecting the new modem things got worse. On explaining this India not only refused to book an engineer they actually refused further discussion.

In desperation I reported the issue on the Help and Support forum. During the following 10 days or so I provided speed test results to prove my point, as requested, but only got a reply that as my signal levels were within spec there was nothing wrong with my connection.

In desperation I contacted "thinking of leaving" who put me through to a UK agent. After some discussion and tests an engineer's visit was arranged for the NEXT day which resulted in the issue being fixed in minutes. :tu:

It seems TS are very reluctant to send a tech out so you might just as well short circuit the process and go straight to thinking of leaving. They seem to be the only department that give a damn.

From my recent experience with TS in India and the Help and Support forum it would seem their only purpose is to fob you off and to avoid VM getting involved in any expenditure to fix your problem. :td:

TheNorm
23-11-2010, 18:10
Just tell them your getting slow speeds ....

Phoned 150, after a fairly lengthy conversation he agreed to send an engineer around this Saturday morning.

We can connect directly to your modem remotely and see the power levels for ourselves, so any agent seeing yours should book an engineer if they refuse ask to speak to a manager for an explanation.

Funnily enough, he asked me (twice) to tell him the power levels.

Peter_
23-11-2010, 18:13
Phoned 150, after a fairly lengthy conversation he agreed to send an engineer around this Saturday morning.

Funnily enough, he asked me (twice) to tell him the power levels.
He should be able to see your power levels remotely using his online tools, he may have been just confirming them considering they are way out of spec.

TheNorm
27-11-2010, 09:22
... he agreed to send an engineer around this Saturday morning....

Engineer just left, after adjusting something in the cab down the road. Here are the current power levels:

Peter_
27-11-2010, 09:24
Engineer just left, after adjusting something in the cab down the road. Here are the current power levels:
They are spot on.;)

TheNorm
27-11-2010, 09:27
They are spot on.;)

After reading some of the horror stories on this forum, I'm pleased to say my experience of VM support is that it has been professional and painless!

Another satisfied customer.

Peter_
27-11-2010, 09:31
After reading some of the horror stories on this forum, I'm pleased to say my experience of VM support is that it has been professional and painless!

Another satisfied customer.
In the main most customers are satisfied and you usually only hear the horror stories on forums such as this and when taken into perspective those problems are few and far between.:)

jb66
27-11-2010, 10:14
Much better :)

---------- Post added at 10:14 ---------- Previous post was at 10:12 ----------

I've had lots of outage/slow downloading problems with my broadband recently.

After jumping through all of India's hoops they insisted my modem was broken. After connecting the new modem things got worse. On explaining this India not only refused to book an engineer they actually refused further discussion.

In desperation I reported the issue on the Help and Support forum. During the following 10 days or so I provided speed test results to prove my point, as requested, but only got a reply that as my signal levels were within spec there was nothing wrong with my connection.

In desperation I contacted "thinking of leaving" who put me through to a UK agent. After some discussion and tests an engineer's visit was arranged for the NEXT day which resulted in the issue being fixed in minutes. :tu:

It seems TS are very reluctant to send a tech out so you might just as well short circuit the process and go straight to thinking of leaving. They seem to be the only department that give a damn.

From my recent experience with TS in India and the Help and Support forum it would seem their only purpose is to fob you off and to avoid VM getting involved in any expenditure to fix your problem. :td:

How did he fix it? If your power levels are in spec what can he do?

Mick Fisher
27-11-2010, 15:28
Much better :)

---------- Post added at 10:14 ---------- Previous post was at 10:12 ----------

How did he fix it? If your power levels are in spec what can he do?
I told him that the last time I had a similar problem changing the isolator fixed it.

So he changed the isolator and,for good measure I presume, also changed the new ambit 255 that India sent me for a new Hub and the job was a good'un. :)

As 2 items are in the frame I am unable to say which fixed the issue. However I cannot believe a brand new ambit255 was faulty in the same way as my existing ambit256, therefore I am 100% sure that it was the isolator at fault.

This incident just goes to show that signal levels are far from being the only factor.

It seems we have the conductivity of the physical connection from the cab to the premises to take into account. I would suggest the whole installation be checked for high resistance connections, of which the isolator and perhaps any splitters being used look to be prime contenders.