PDA

View Full Version : Opendns Vs Google Dns Vs Isp Dns

chambohambo
16-10-2010, 12:05
What do you use and why?

pigpen
16-10-2010, 14:44
OpenDNS, because Virgin's was flaky one evening, changed to OpenDNS which worked and I haven't bothered changing it back since. Google came along in the meantime but if it aint broke don't fix it.

Chris
16-10-2010, 15:00
OpenDNS was recommended to me when I went looking for a way of controlling what websites are accessible on our home network. It works extremely well, and I've stuck with it ever since.

georgepomone
16-10-2010, 16:46
OpenDNS for me as well simply because it works and gives very few problems.

arcimedes
16-10-2010, 17:09
OpenDNS it works with no problems.

TheNorm
16-10-2010, 17:11
OpenDNS, because Virgin's was flaky one evening, changed to OpenDNS which worked and I haven't bothered changing it back since. Google came along in the meantime but if it aint broke don't fix it.

OpenDNS was recommended to me when I went looking for a way of controlling what websites are accessible on our home network. It works extremely well, and I've stuck with it ever since.

OpenDNS for me as well simply because it works and gives very few problems.

OpenDNS it works with no problems.

What they said. :)

Jayster
16-10-2010, 18:14
Virgin dns: Ok when they are working
Google dns: Very good but no features
Opendns: As good as Google but with a ton of features
I use Opendns

Cobbydaler
16-10-2010, 19:33
If you just want the fastest resolving DNS servers, and are not bothered with extra features, try this (http://www.grc.com/dns/benchmark.htm) to determine them...

AndyCalling
16-10-2010, 22:56
VM servers seem fastest for me, so I use them. There was a brief period of strife from them some time ago (which others here are refering to) during which time I used OpenDNS (Google DNS hadn't happened then). It worked fine but was noticably slower, though not by much.

Unless you need the extra features of Open DNS, I say use VM's DNS servers. They have been flawless for some time. If they go funny, keep OpenDNS in mind as a backup.

ADDENDUM: Running the test program from the post above confirms that VM's DNS servers are still faster than OpenDNS or Google. Or anyone else on the default test list in that program. At least, this is true for me.

mjpartyboy
17-10-2010, 10:46
I've used OpenDNS' for years and they've always performed well, so I've never changed.

colin25
17-10-2010, 11:27
What they said. :)

What he says :D

(can any one else see the irony, someone called "thenorm" doing what everyone else does :D)

Badders
17-10-2010, 12:00
VM servers seem fastest for me, so I use them.

Same here, Unless you need the extra features of OpenDNS then why bother.

internetguy
17-10-2010, 15:40
I'm using OpenDNS.

Always seemed faster than Virgin's DNS which was a bit flaky for me. I refuse to use Skynet's DNS (google).

Though I made a free account on the opendns site and turned off all the extra features. So its just standard dns, except much faster and reliable :)

AndyCalling
17-10-2010, 18:33
I'm using OpenDNS.

Always seemed faster than Virgin's DNS which was a bit flaky for me. I refuse to use Skynet's DNS (google).

Though I made a free account on the opendns site and turned off all the extra features. So its just standard dns, except much faster and reliable :)

Does the test program mentioned earlier in this thread really show OpenDNS as being faster for you? I wonder why. On my PC VM's servers test as being definitely faster.

progers
17-10-2010, 19:41
Open DNS, it's much faster than VM

internetguy
17-10-2010, 19:55
Does the test program mentioned earlier in this thread really show OpenDNS as being faster for you? I wonder why. On my PC VM's servers test as being definitely faster.

What are the IPs for VM DNS? I'll add them to that app and see which is quicker. :)

dev
17-10-2010, 19:59
Use my own as I know I'll get true results then and not some fake page trying to help me get the correct domain name. I can also clear the cache on the them if and when its needed :)

TheNorm
17-10-2010, 20:12
What he says :D

(can any one else see the irony, someone called "thenorm" doing what everyone else does :D)

:D

Irony keeps my feet on the ground - and keeps my shirts wrinkle-free. ;)

Cobbydaler
17-10-2010, 21:38
What are the IPs for VM DNS? I'll add them to that app and see which is quicker. :)

As far as I know.

Used to be different for ex Blueyonder (Telewest) but not sure if still are...

progers
17-10-2010, 22:27
Open DNS, it's much faster than VM

Cancel that, just retested and VM is now faster so back to 194......

gazfan
17-10-2010, 22:48

The test I did using that link showed the primary VM server as fastest, OpenDNS next & the secondary VM server third.

There wasn't a great deal in it & the VM servers were flagged as being reliable, so on that basis I have no reason to change.

For those wanting the extra features offered by OpenDNS, using that service is a 'no-brainer' - for standard service the choice is down to user preference, rather than speed or reliability, apparently ...

gunner45
17-10-2010, 23:29
I use OpenDNS. It's probably slower for me than VM's DNS servers, but the difference is not noticeable. One thing I like about OpenDNS is the blocking of phishing sites. I know that Firefox and IE also do these, but I like the idea of two lines of defence.

Incidentally, I couldn't find a way to enable OpenDNS in the Virgin Media Hub, which seems to have a slightly cut-down configuration compared to what I'd expect to find in wireless routers, so I had to configure my local area connection.

Stuart
18-10-2010, 01:06

Same for me, except it was Be's DNS that was a little flaky.. They installed new DNS servers a couple of years back, and DNS calls become a bit hit and miss for a while.

Changed to Open DNS, and the service works, so I see no real reason to change.

Is my internet use any faster? TBH, no. I don't see how DNS service speed increases can make that much of a difference. DNS lookups only occur once per connection (if that), and if the speed increase saves only a couple of milliseconds per connection, you would need hundreds of connections to individual domains to save a significant amount of time.

Peil
18-10-2010, 11:09
I use OpenDNS. It's probably slower for me than VM's DNS servers, but the difference is not noticeable. One thing I like about OpenDNS is the blocking of phishing sites. I know that Firefox and IE also do these, but I like the idea of two lines of defence.

I used OpenDNS for about 6 months, until one weekend they decided to flag my banks website as a suspected phishing site.
Sticking to google DNS at the moment.

Juo
18-10-2010, 11:35
OpenDNS, Virgins DNS is crap and I dont trust Google.

nutellajunkie
18-10-2010, 11:42
Id say VM DNS is fastest because the round trip is (probably) shortest.

Google I may use the other services, but I don’t want they having EVERYTHING about me.

OpenDNS, its reliable, its speedy, its got a nice community and LOTS of preferences to break :) I’ve been using OpenDNS with my Tomato router, and its flawless so far, and that’s been about 5 years.

---------- Post added at 10:41 ---------- Previous post was at 10:39 ----------

OpenDNS, Virgins DNS is crap and I dont trust Google.

And thanks for your input, such valuable information as usual there :P

---------- Post added at 10:42 ---------- Previous post was at 10:41 ----------

I used OpenDNS for about 6 months, until one weekend they decided to flag my banks website as a suspected phishing site.
Sticking to google DNS at the moment.

You may or may not understand the full concept of OpenDNS. You may like to go back to them and start using the voting system. This is how the stuff works, and yes there will be mistakes, but this can be fixed. And most likely it would have come under your settings somewhere.

MetaWraith
18-10-2010, 15:43
Considering one can specify both a primary and a secondary DNS server IP address,
is there any benefit to be had from specifying say
Primary = OpenDNS
Secondary = Virgin

nutellajunkie
18-10-2010, 16:46
Thats a damn fine idea MetaWraith, I think Ill go try it oot now :)

Juo
18-10-2010, 17:34
That is a good idea MetaWraith, would that actually work?

mjpartyboy
18-10-2010, 18:46
DD-WRT firmware lists three DNS servers, so where I've specified OpenDNS as the first two and left the third slot blank, when I view the information page it lists OpenDNS as the first two and VM's first one as the third one.

Pbryanw
18-10-2010, 23:17
Here's another DNS benchmarking tool, that runs on OS X, Windows & Unix:
Google Namebench (http://code.google.com/p/namebench/)

Using this, it tells me that the Virgin DNS servers are the fastest for me, followed by BT's.

Welshchris
19-10-2010, 01:37
I ran that DNS tool from GNC and it claims the fastest ones for me are...
194.74.65.68 which i think is BT
and
198.153.192.1 which is Symantec Corporation.