PDA

View Full Version : Traffic management on 50 mb

dojoman47
15-10-2010, 19:31
In the small print it says that there is a possibility of VM slowing down your d/l speed if using Newsgroups, does anyone know what they actually throttle the speed back to?

Welshchris
15-10-2010, 19:49
i dont think they throttle it to a specific speed it has stated that the network will only use a specific portion of overall available bandwith for NTTP and P2P during peak times, i think it was 25% or there abouts.

pip08456
15-10-2010, 19:56
The traffic management will apply only to those who have received the speed upgrade.

All explained here

http://shop.virginmedia.com/help/traffic-management/traffic-management-faster-uploads.html

and here

http://shop.virginmedia.com/help/traffic-management.html

BenMcr
15-10-2010, 20:32
The Application management will apply to all customers even if they haven't had the upgrade

REM
16-10-2010, 00:12
So that it why my Giganews activities were so slow this week. I was home early one day and used the newsgroups in the afternoon and noticed my d/l was about half normal speed. Usually it's later on in the evening I use it and get 5.93MB/s constantly.

BenMcr
16-10-2010, 00:20
No it won't be the reason as even when the application management is switched on it doesn't apply until 5pm weekdays

dojoman47
16-10-2010, 11:33
No it won't be the reason as even when the application management is switched on it doesn't apply until 5pm weekdays

What exactly do you mean ? sorry to appear thick but TM starts at 10 am on the 20 mb BB. Are you saying it only starts at 5 pm on the 50 mb?

Also no one has answered my original question about speeds if the 50 mb does get TM.

BenMcr
16-10-2010, 11:39
I suggest you read this http://shop.virginmedia.com/help/traffic-management.html

pip08456
16-10-2010, 12:00
File sharing

At peak times we also slow down the speed of file sharing traffic – that's services like Limewire, Gnutella, BitTorrent and Newsgroup (Usenet) traffic. You will, of course, still be able to use these services, but downloads and uploads will take longer during these peak periods.

And the spedd it's slowed down to ???????????????

Ignitionnet
16-10-2010, 12:27
File sharing

At peak times we also slow down the speed of file sharing traffic – that's services like Limewire, Gnutella, BitTorrent and Newsgroup (Usenet) traffic. You will, of course, still be able to use these services, but downloads and uploads will take longer during these peak periods.

Is dynamic depending on the amount of news and P2P on the networks at the time.

Those protocols may not take more than 25% of network capacity during peak periods, so if it would only be using 24% of capacity on a particular network port there will be no visible impact.

Of course if users are attempting to use 50% of the capacity speeds will be halfed.

dojoman47
16-10-2010, 12:48
File sharing

I read that ages ago, but as usual it does not give a definitive answer, all I want to know what is the capped speed, it is patently obvious on all the other speeds but not on the 50 mb.

Ignitionnet
16-10-2010, 13:10
I read that ages ago, but as usual it does not give a definitive answer, all I want to know what is the capped speed, it is patently obvious on all the other speeds but not on the 50 mb.

No, the application management is not the same as the traffic management.

For the traffic management the details are pretty obvious and are here. (http://shop.virginmedia.com/help/traffic-management/traffic-management-faster-uploads.html)

For the application management as I said the speed a customer will get on P2P and newsgroups will entirely depend on how many other customers in the area are using P2P / newsgroups and how much higher priority traffic (in terms of QoS configuration before the net neutrality nerds start weighing in about how P2P / newsgroups could be higher priority to an individual customer) is on the network at the time.

EDIT: As another note this only affects the P2P / newsgroup traffic. Anything else being done on the connection won't be reduced in speed.

dojoman47
16-10-2010, 13:14
No, the application management is not the same as the traffic management.

For the traffic management the details are pretty obvious and are here. (http://shop.virginmedia.com/help/traffic-management/traffic-management-faster-uploads.html)

For the application management as I said the speed a customer will get on P2P and newsgroups will entirely depend on how many other customers in the area are using P2P / newsgroups and how much higher priority traffic (in terms of QoS configuration before the net neutrality nerds start weighing in about how P2P / newsgroups could be higher priority to an individual customer) is on the network at the time.

EDIT: As another note this only affects the P2P / newsgroup traffic. Anything else being done on the connection won't be reduced in speed.

Thank you for that, I now understand what will happen, I was thinking (wrongly) that it would be the same as the TM that I experience now on the 20mb.

Ignitionnet
16-10-2010, 13:18
Thank you for that, I now understand what will happen, I was thinking (wrongly) that it would be the same as the TM that I experience now on the 20mb.

Sadly not, the two run side by side. So while your P2P and Newsgroups will be slowed down between those times you will still be managed in the same way if you break the traffic management limits.

On the upside of course once you are managed down you won't notice the P2P shaping :)

dojoman47
16-10-2010, 14:12
Sadly not, the two run side by side. So while your P2P and Newsgroups will be slowed down between those times you will still be managed in the same way if you break the traffic management limits.

On the upside of course once you are managed down you won't notice the P2P shaping :)

But I thought there was no TM on the 50 mb?

BenMcr
16-10-2010, 14:22
But I thought there was no TM on the 50 mb?It's never been said there would never be any management on 50Mbit, however there is and will be still no main downstream TM on 50Mbit

Ignitionnet
16-10-2010, 14:37
But I thought there was no TM on the 50 mb?

I said that the two systems run side by side.

50M once upgraded has traffic management applied to it, check this link (http://shop.virginmedia.com/help/traffic-management/traffic-management-faster-uploads.html) I put on earlier.

dojoman47
16-10-2010, 14:38
It's never been said there would never be any management on 50Mbit, however there is and will be still no main downstream TM on 50Mbit

Thank you...