PDA

View Full Version : Your honest opinions please

richardworrall
15-10-2010, 18:39
First post here guys so please be gentle with me.

I was with virgin a couple of years ago and to be honest they werent too bad.
Im looking at rejoining them again on a Cable Broadband only deal, either the 10 or 20mb speed. Not to bothered about massive downloading, just something faster and better than the 2gb limit i now have on my 02 dongle.

Im reading reports that the customer service is 'dire' and connections keep dropping etc. How true is this or am i misreading the comments as ADSL connections keep dropping with BT having all their upgrade issues at the minute.

Do they have a cooling off period if your not happy with the service and do i need to have one of those boxes on the outside of the wall even for just broadband.

Any advice appreciated guys

NoKnowledge
15-10-2010, 19:04
Im reading reports that the customer service is 'dire' and connections keep dropping etc. How true is this or am i misreading the comments as ADSL connections keep dropping with BT having all their upgrade issues at the minute. My connection's solid. No complaints.

Do they have a cooling off period if your not happy with the service and do i need to have one of those boxes on the outside of the wall even for just broadband. I just have the broadband and I ain't got a brown box on the outside of my wall.

vanman
15-10-2010, 19:05
Money back guarantee: The 28-day money back guarantee is available for new customers and existing customers taking a new service. Call us within 28 days of service activation to cancel and we'll refund the first month's charge and any installation charge. You will only be charged for transactions (calls, texts, purchases, service upgrades) occurring after activation. Statutory rights not affected.
http://shop.virginmedia.com/build-your-bundle

pip08456
15-10-2010, 19:10
If you are unlucky enough to get offshore support then yes it can be dire, ring early enough in the mornings and you stand a better chance of UK support.

Not everyone is suffering from connection dropping etc.

Like any ISP there are issues in areas.

Yes there is a cooling off period of I think 28 days, no doubt a VM staffer will be along to either confirm or correct me.

I returned to VM 18mths ago, had 20Mb for 12 with no problems now I'm on 50Mb and besides a couple of small issues in the beginning has been rock solid since.

My advice - go for it. No doubt there will be those that disagree.

jb66
15-10-2010, 19:18
You should have a brown omni box on the side of your wall (if your on the ground floor) but sometimes the installer leaves it out

devilincarnate
15-10-2010, 19:24
You should have a brown omni box on the side of your wall (if your on the ground floor) but sometimes the installer leaves it out

I have a grey box on the wall outside and that was installed when it was TELEWEST :D.

Everytime that i have called VIRGIN the customer services has been brilliant and have reccomended them to other people.

richardworrall
15-10-2010, 20:14
hmm, i'm liking the replies im getting here, cheers guys.
What do you recommend for sorting out the purchasing of, best over the phone or do the shops allow you to sort things out instore. Fancy the idea of talking to someone face to face and knowing im not being ripped off.

dave_dph
15-10-2010, 20:20
hmm, i'm liking the replies im getting here, cheers guys.
What do you recommend for sorting out the purchasing of, best over the phone or do the shops allow you to sort things out instore. Fancy the idea of talking to someone face to face and knowing im not being ripped off.

Quidco currently paying £65 cash back if you link your online order through them.

http://www.quidco.com/virgin-media/

richardworrall
15-10-2010, 20:58
how does this Quidco work?

Hom3r
15-10-2010, 21:14
I have been with my ISP/Cable TV for ages (10 years at least).

It was first Cambridge Cable, then Anglia Cable, then NTL, and finally VM.

I can honestly say in all those years I have lost less than a days viewing.

dave_dph
15-10-2010, 22:25
how does this Quidco work?

Register with them first of all and activate your account via the email you will receive.

When you are ready to place your order, clear your browsing history and cookies, then log into quidco. Search for virgin via the quidco search bar, then follow the links to go to virginmedia whilst earning cash back. Ensure the order is fully completed and the cash back will track in your quidco account after a few days - maybe after installation.

Add your bank or paypal details to quidco and after a couple of months you will receive the cash back, minus the £5 quidco annual fee.

Check out all the other companies linked through quidco for further purchases.I have made over £1000 in about 5 - 6 years.

All the info you need is available on the quidco site.

The PIT
16-10-2010, 22:27
Good when it works appalling when it doesn't support is fourth rate at best on a good day.
If you're going back to virgin make sure you have adsl and a dual wan router. Makes life a lot easier when virgin isn't working.

Kursk
17-10-2010, 01:01
In all honesty I'm often confused by the bad press Virgin get. Remember, most contributors here join to vent when they have a problem - millions of others are perfectly happy with the service. My connection is completely reliable; the odd blip now and again is not even of relevance.

If you can get cable, my advice is to get it. Don't worry unduly about customer support - you won't need it often anyway.

oliver1948uk
17-10-2010, 07:50
I have been ntl/VM customer for 10+ years (Mansfield) and a family member for 8 Years (Dover). A younger family member has had VM for a shorter time (Mansfield) during which he has moved 3 times and taken VM with him with no problem.

All of us have the four services including an SA V+ box and all are satisfied customers, rarely not getting nearly full speed on internet (10MB though I was on 20MB for a time receiving 19+ nearly all the time). Any problems have been quickly sorted.

Judging by the moans on this forum you would think 50MB is something to avoid (I cannot afford it). Yet when a survey was done 87% of people said they were getting full speed. http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/12/33669586-50mb-broadband-post-your-speed-vote.html.

Thus do not take as representative all you read on this forum.

boroboi
17-10-2010, 15:45
Been a VM customer for around 8 years. Apart from intermittent outages which was down to either a faulty coaxial cable, or faulty modem, the only real problem i've ever had was yesterday when there was a problem with the network.

So that's 3 problems in 8 years, and none of them were really down to poor service.

Kymmy
17-10-2010, 15:52
You've gotta remember that for everyone who complains there's about 100 more happy customers..

jtaylor06
17-10-2010, 17:36
Connection has been pretty good for quite a few years now.
There are the odd times where there is a area issue, but they are usually fixed within a day at most.

Best thing is that the speed is reliable, and I can sometimes get downloads coming down at 2 Mb/s (which is pretty fast)

Rivva
17-10-2010, 20:08
I've been more than happy ever since the road was dug up in the mid 90's by Yorkshire Cable. Next came Telewest and finally VM and the amount of dissatisfaction/trouble I've had with any of the services in all that time is hardly any - WELL PLEASED!! :tu:

Boabyboy
17-10-2010, 22:23
As others have mentioned, I too have very few issues with my Cable Modem service. Fast, stable and rock solid.

nutellajunkie
18-10-2010, 15:59
The only issue I have is reading other peoples issues and wondering what it must be like ;)