PDA

View Full Version : Virgin Media blocking ports!

Alexander
13-10-2010, 16:15
Hi all,

As I am using the SIP/VOIP telephony (Internet phone), I have noticed that Virgin Media blocking ports.

Normally using the Siemens SIP phone, which always is connected to router and the X-Lite application on computer. I have never changed the settings as it was working perfectly before.

Recently I have noticed that the people can hear me on the other side of the phone, I thought it's SIP provider issue, contacted them and I had reply from them that's nothing wrong with their system and it's true as I have tried to call using X-Lite (with the same settings) via different internet provider - in my case "3" network.

How I can enable the 5060, 3478 ports for SIP telephone? Does anyone else experience the same problem?

ceedee
13-10-2010, 17:27
I don't think VM block any ports.
I'd suspect a problem with your router's port forwarding -- or maybe Window's firewall has turned itself on?

Perhaps this will help you track down the problem: Port Forwarding Tester (http://www.yougetsignal.com/tools/open-ports/)

Alexander
14-10-2010, 07:27
I don't think VM block any ports.
I'd suspect a problem with your router's port forwarding -- or maybe Window's firewall has turned itself on?

Perhaps this will help you track down the problem: Port Forwarding Tester (http://www.yougetsignal.com/tools/open-ports/)

the router is working fine, as I wrote before the solution worked properly, I have just forwarded the port to Siemens SIP phone (how windows firewall is turned on, if it's not installed on windows, as it's not software!) and still the same issue.

The website shows every port is blocked but not by my router!!! Sounds like VM is blocking the ports

kwikbreaks
14-10-2010, 09:45
Your problem is not VM blocking any ports.

I have an Analogue Telephone Adapter (ie just hardware no PC involved) and it works just fine using those ports. No port forwarding is needed in the router settings for my ATA either.

caph
14-10-2010, 20:01
Have you tried the phone plugged straight in to the modem?

Peter_
14-10-2010, 20:06
Have you tried the phone plugged straight in to the modem?
That will only work if the phone has a MAC address otherwise it will not receive an IP address.

Andrewcrawford23
14-10-2010, 21:51
the router is working fine, as I wrote before the solution worked properly, I have just forwarded the port to Siemens SIP phone (how windows firewall is turned on, if it's not installed on windows, as it's not software!) and still the same issue.

The website shows every port is blocked but not by my router!!! Sounds like VM is blocking the ports
the only ports virign block are 25 138/139 and ith ink 339 basically ports that ar eknown hacking ot spammign ports the ports meantioned are not blocked i can use them perfectly fine it will be itnernal netwokr issue your rotue rmight haev beecame faulty or it migh havehad a update windows well it cans do weird thigns hence why i say use linux probally ubuntu for a windows users#

edit not 339 it 445

toytown
15-10-2010, 09:43
Virgin do not block port 25 and my SIP accounts are working perfectly from here :)

SiJ2000
15-10-2010, 10:18
The symptoms you are talking about are a NAT issue. I have the same with Juniper Firewalls. Other cheaper ones seem to work fine!

Jon T
15-10-2010, 12:13
The ports that are blocked are the SMB ports that are used for windows file and printer sharing. This was done probably 5-7 years ago to stop the spread of worms likes blaster.

Andrewcrawford23
15-10-2010, 16:56
Virgin do not block port 25 and my SIP accounts are working perfectly from here :)
port for email sevrers are blocked for resdential cusotmers becuase o spam not port 25 that used for sending emails (acutally ill double check it 25 it mgith be the sevrer smtp port nto sure if that is different) it mivght be 57 i dnt have the list to hand so ic ant double check but i am fairly sure it is 25 but for mail sevrers liek exchange etc and normal conenction if more than 500 emails are sent ina certian epriod of time

Jon T
15-10-2010, 17:31
25 is SMTP, probably blocked to stop open relays and spambots. However it hasn't always been blocked, relying instead on the fact that most mail servers won't accept incoming mail from a host with an IP from a DHCP block of addresses.

To the OP, can you allocate a static IP to the voip handset, if so, set one up and then enter that IP in the DMZ section of your router. If that works, try the port forwarding again.

I've seen port forwarding fail before if the port is being forwarded to an IP in the DHCP range of the router.

Peter_
15-10-2010, 19:54
As port 25 is an email port it will not be blocked as it is still in use on some email accounts at present, plus many 3rd party email providers use that port.

Zhadnost
18-10-2010, 11:12
Port 25 is definately not blocked in either direction on my home service.

huntingtigers
28-12-2013, 21:16
Not if you make changes to your device settings

All sip devices by default use port 5060 - go change this to something different like 3255 save the settings

Re boot and away you go.

I have had such trouble with VM over the years that I simply change all my devices and handsets away from the known sip ports - fairly well obliterates thieving port scanners looking for juicy sip accounts to rob too !

Any more questions ... ?

Russ
28-12-2013, 21:38
Yes - could you check the date of threads before you post in them please...? :)

General Maximus
29-12-2013, 18:43
what a spoon