PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of upgrading from 20mb to 50mb.

funkyCable
13-10-2010, 14:04
Hi

I just ran VM and the lady recon it would cost me an extra £5.51 for 50MB BB + £20 activation fee and I get free router and usb adaptor.

Does any one know what router and usb adaptor it comes with? Do you actually get 50MB with it if you have a good signal and its the only machine connected?

I was thinking of upgrading my existing router which only allows me to use 5-7MB of my 20MB. I have one netbook that uses G and a have a N PCI in my pc.

jb66
13-10-2010, 16:00
You get 50 wired and about 35 to 50 wireless on average from experience

funkyCable
13-10-2010, 16:18
What router does it come with? My PC is located in the same room as the router will be so no walls involved. The signal should be quiet good. I could live with speeds between 35 and 50.

Alexander
13-10-2010, 16:20
Don't do it. Better change the provider, as VM don't guaranty with turbo slow optical wire you will get the 50mb speed

pip08456
13-10-2010, 16:37
Don't do it. Better change the provider, as VM don't guaranty with turbo slow optical wire you will get the 50mb speed

Would you like to expand on this as it seems to be a load of bull!

funkyCable
13-10-2010, 16:39
Says a relatively new member!!! You barking up the wrong tree, Mate. I'm very happy with my 20MB and I've been with VM for almost 6 years and can count on one hand the number of times I've lost connect over that time.

"turbo slow optical wire" WTF are you on about. I've never heard so much bullShyt in all my life.

My current slow speeds of 5-7MB is due to me buying my own duff router that worked fine when I was on 2MB but since upgrading to 20MB is no longer fit for purpose.

Plus I want to host my own site from my server so the extra upload speeds will help as well.

Alexander
13-10-2010, 16:55
"turbo slow optical wire" WTF are you on about. I've never heard so much bullShyt in all my life.

I am getting maximum 10-14 mb on 20 mb speed, the router is brand new one, the same as their modem, last year been upgraded.

funkyCable
13-10-2010, 19:25
Mate I still not sure on you on about.
Firstly are you getting the full connection before the connection even hits your router. If not then you need to take it up with them....but in my case if I wire my router to my machine I get 20mb but I choose to use wireless. I logged into my modem and know I am getting 20mb before it even hits my router.

So tell me how much does sky/BT or other VM competition pay you to come on here and slag off Virgin Media?

You join in Sept 2009 but only have 14 posts....hmmm

So your router is brand new but you upgrade last year and you on 20MB? how does that relate to my question of what router and adaptor comes with the 50MB?

Ignitionnet
13-10-2010, 19:28

No provider guarantees full speed on connections that cost as little as these do.

funkyCable
13-10-2010, 19:46
what router and adaptor comes with the 50MB?

jb66
13-10-2010, 21:08
Dlink dir 615 router and dlink n dongle

alexcopeland
13-10-2010, 21:29
I subscribe to the 20 Mbps service and live in Stevenage too Alexander. I have a solid connection which is always around 19.5 Mbps when ever I check my connection whether it be day or night. I'd recommend Virgin Media to anyone I know in the town or the rest of the country in fact. I have a fairly old linksys wireless router which shares out the connection to Xbox 360, Playstation 3, Laptop, iPhone and HTC Desire.

zaax
14-10-2010, 22:00
My service is a solid 20.4

Sephiroth
14-10-2010, 23:30
I upgraded last week from 20 to 50 meg. I was getting solid 19.7 meg since July (when they switched my UBR).

On the 50 meg service, same UBR, crap modem firmware, not much more than 25 meg any time of day.

So don't bank on it being trouble free, VM may well sort my situation out but I might yet exercise my 28 day clause.

pip08456
15-10-2010, 00:21
I upgraded last week from 20 to 50 meg. I was getting solid 19.7 meg since July (when they switched my UBR).

On the 50 meg service, same UBR, crap modem firmware, not much more than 25 meg any time of day.

So don't bank on it being trouble free, VM may well sort my situation out but I might yet exercise my 28 day clause.

Hi Seph

I've been following your thread over on the VM forum and at least they have identified the problem as being SNR on the upstream (changing from 16QAM to QPSK was a big enough clue!)

As regards the firmware it would appear it depends on the UBR/BSR kit you are connected to. There are plenty of us who have experienced an improvement with it. I note thought that most of those who have do actually have 4 downstream channels.

Seems like another SNAFU from VM.

Hope you get sorted soon.:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Sephiroth
15-10-2010, 19:33
Hi Seph

I've been following your thread over on the VM forum and at least they have identified the problem as being SNR on the upstream (changing from 16QAM to QPSK was a big enough clue!)

As regards the firmware it would appear it depends on the UBR/BSR kit you are connected to. There are plenty of us who have experienced an improvement with it. I note thought that most of those who have do actually have 4 downstream channels.

Seems like another SNAFU from VM.

Hope you get sorted soon.:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

I doubt that upstream SNR is the only problem. They have steadfastly avoided comment on the time taken to display a modem page. It's like the modem's CPU is busy and then lets me in.

Reason I've not thrown my toys out yet is that at > 20 meg, I'm faster than before and am curious to see how this gets resolved. But I'm keeping my eyes on the 28 days!

Oh, and another thing: I always thought I was on a Cisco 10K. Indeed I have evidence to prove that a year ago I was on a 10K (RDNG21). When I fed my IP address from work into a tracert, I discovered that the DNS name for my CMTS is rdng-cmts-20-ge131.network.virginmedia.net. So I take back what I said earlier about CMTS namining conventions and the BSR.

Ignitionnet
16-10-2010, 07:52
Oh, and another thing: I always thought I was on a Cisco 10K. Indeed I have evidence to prove that a year ago I was on a 10K (RDNG21). When I fed my IP address from work into a tracert, I discovered that the DNS name for my CMTS is rdng-cmts-20-ge131.network.virginmedia.net. So I take back what I said earlier about CMTS namining conventions and the BSR.

Naming conventions?

That's not the DNS for your entire CMTS just Gigabit Ethernet 1/3/1 on it - the port you reached it on and it replied from.

caph
16-10-2010, 16:24

That's exactly why I won't upgrade from my rock steady 20Mb to 50Mb. I know how bad things can get when it all starts to go wrong with VM so while my 20Mb is this good I just daren't change anything!

steveg
16-10-2010, 16:31
I have been on 20Mb for more than 3 years now (well more - just not exactly sure) and have had no problems and invariably get download speeds well in excess of 19Mb (mostly around 19.7) so I just ran a test before this posting and this is what I get...

https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2010/10/33.png (http://www.speedtest.net)

Sephiroth
16-10-2010, 16:56
I have been on 20Mb for more than 3 years now (well more - just not exactly sure) and have had no problems and invariably get download speeds well in excess of 19Mb (mostly around 19.7) so I just ran a test before this posting and this is what I get...

https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2010/10/33.png (http://www.speedtest.net)

That's why I held off - till I thought I'd get a good 50 meg service. I think they've solved it. I get 49 meg directly connected now; just got to put the new router on (the Draytek 2910 isn't up to 50 meg) and all should be well.

pip08456
16-10-2010, 18:58
That's why I held off - till I thought I'd get a good 50 meg service. I think they've solved it. I get 49 meg directly connected now; just got to put the new router on (the Draytek 2910 isn't up to 50 meg) and all should be well.

:clap: :birthday: :xmas: