PDA

View Full Version : Landline too expensive

Rainman
11-10-2010, 23:22
I am seriously considering getting ride of my landline as it cost far to much.
Considering I now use my PAYG mobile all the time at 8p a call I can't justify keeping the landline phone at 10p a min call and 11p connection plus £12 a month. It seems to me Virgin and BT are just pricing them selves out of any competition. Quite a few friends have said they will give up their landline phones will they ever be as good a deal as they use to be.

martyh
11-10-2010, 23:27
I am seriously considering getting ride of my landline as it cost far to much.
Considering I now use my PAYG mobile all the time at 8p a call I can't justify keeping the landline phone at 10p a min call and 11p connection plus £12 a month. It seems to me Virgin and BT are just pricing them selves out of any competition. Quite a few friends have said they will give up their landline phones will they ever be as good a deal as they use to be.

I'm in the same position but i am willing to accept the landline cost,despite rarely using it simply to keep the discounts that come with it

MovedGoalPosts
11-10-2010, 23:35
Landlines are only cost effective for calls if you have a bundle, such as "free weekend" calls. However to keep the cost of other services like broadband, especially if you are bundling servicews like TV, then it can still be viable to retain the land line, even if you use it minimally.

pabloo
11-10-2010, 23:55
get rid...ive just virgin broadband...20 quid a month and 10 quid a month 02 rolling contract and so has the other half..luvly jubly...so 40 quid a month direct debits for half decent bb and 2 mobile phones..u know it makes scense rodney;)

FairyFairy
12-10-2010, 09:39
I find the landline calls expensive as well but am willing to keep it to keep the bundle cost - which aren't too bad. I use my PAYGO mobile for daytime and evening calls and the Virgin one for weekend

teddy91
28-10-2010, 11:48
I agree with where your coming from, but it is always nice to have a landline. Call me old fashioned!!!

Hugh
28-10-2010, 12:00
Also, you are just transferring the cost of the call to your friends (I know some will have inclusive minutes, but not all) - they will pay the charge for connecting to your mobile.

Rainman
28-10-2010, 12:37
I agree with where your coming from, but it is always nice to have a landline. Call me old fashioned!!!

Your old fashion Teddy91 , but you are right I still got a old GPO bakelite phone and it still works forget the Ipod's

scorpionatthepc
01-11-2010, 19:46
I have the lowest tv package you can have + 10mb broadband and landline. Rung them up and they said I would only be £1 better off if I got rid of the phone line so you can't win.

slowcoach
01-11-2010, 20:07
My 50 Mb/s BB and Phone with unlimited 59Min calls bundle means that the phone side costs me roughly £2 a month after the bundle discount, during the month I make on average 20 – 35 Hours of calls, not what I would call too expensive.
Dread to think what I would pay if I used a mobile phone.

RobboEdin
02-11-2010, 10:45
I have the lowest tv package you can have + 10mb broadband and landline. Rung them up and they said I would only be £1 better off if I got rid of the phone line so you can't win.

...but surely that is winning. You appear to have a landline for £1 per month!

Maggy
02-11-2010, 18:35
I keep mine because it works even under the most extreme of weather conditions.

johnathome
03-11-2010, 12:34
I'll keep mine as well so people can get hold of me, it's registered with the doctor/dentist etc.

I just don't use it except when its free.

You know any landline provider is overcharging when calls from a mobile are cheaper.

FairyFairy
03-11-2010, 13:16
;)

Virgin must be wondering why not many people are using their landline for charged calls!!!!!!!

RobboEdin
03-11-2010, 15:57
;)

Virgin must be wondering why not many people are using their landline for charged calls!!!!!!!

...and when they find out they will start using the BT trick.

You must use your landline at least two times a month or you will get a £1.50 per month surcharge for non-use.

FairyFairy
03-11-2010, 16:24
Oh God!!! That'll put the cat among the pigeons then :td:

Hugh
03-11-2010, 17:47
If it happens.......

Don't panic, Captain Mainwaring!

RobboEdin
03-11-2010, 17:51
Oh God!!! That'll put the cat among the pigeons then :td:

BT's latest price change incorporated a ploy already used by Virgin Media - the removal of the paperless bill discount for new customers and a charge for getting a paper bill.

Like Virgin Media before them, BT are allowing those with the discount to keep it but how long before they remove it like Virgin Media did?

Rainman
03-11-2010, 21:48
I have just gone on to Giffgaff mobile sim, and it looks good. I have pick a goodybag for £5 that will give me 2p calls and 1p text it also give free unlimited calls to other Giffgaff users and free 0800 calls. Now why do I want to keep my landline.

Woking User
04-11-2010, 16:03
The VM Landline is the only annoying thing with these bundles, I don't use it and don't want it but to remove it will mean I pay more for my tv and broadband.

On the rare occassions I'm at home during working hours it's astonishing how many sales calls and 'wrong numbers' I get on the VM landline.
I should really just unplug the phone and only plug it back in when I call 151:D

vanman
04-11-2010, 19:21
I have just gone on to Giffgaff mobile sim, and it looks good. I have pick a goodybag for £5 that will give me 2p calls and 1p text it also give free unlimited calls to other Giffgaff users and free 0800 calls. Now why do I want to keep my landline.
did you read the conditions.
For just £5, you'll have access to 2p calls and 1p texts to UK mobiles and landlines for a month.
You will need to have credit on your balance to use the labs goodybag.
giffgaff's experimental goodybag is available until 22 NOV 2010.
then its 8p calls
Free to giffgaff:
You need to top-up at least every 3 months to receive free giffgaff to giffgaff calls, if you don't other UK rates will apply as above. The free giffgaff to giffgaff calls last for 60 minutes per call, so you need to hang up and re-dial if you want to keep talking.virgins 8p sim is just as good or better

johnathome
05-11-2010, 02:22
o/t but i've just gone over to giffgaff for the unlimited internet at £10 a month with NO FUP, its totally unlimited, also get unlimited texts and 150 mins for that.
The best thing though is i'm with 18185 and from my mobile i can phone their access number FOC and only pay 1p a minute. :)

back on topic

The telcos in the country really are taking the mick with the connection charges and price per minute, is it any wonder people are looking for alternatives.
Does virgin have a light user tariff like BT ;)

jcb208
04-12-2010, 23:30
I changed to a dialer 2 months ago and just got a letter from virgin offering me FREE evening and weekend calls as long as I keep the contract worth £3.50 month,must be because they realise my calls have been diverted through another company

japitts
11-12-2010, 21:36

Old fashioned!

Seriously though.. I'm a great believer in not relying on one single technology.. I may choose to make my outbound calls via mobile for cost & convenience, but I'll still keep the landline there...

- Cheaper incoming calls, and some people prefer to call landlines than mobiles.
- If my mobile network has any major outage, then I've not lost contact and have a landline to divert the mobile to.
- If there's a problem with my mobile account, I have a backup and means of actually reporting it etc.

nodrogd
12-12-2010, 00:13
The telcos in the country really are taking the mick with the connection charges and price per minute, is it any wonder people are looking for alternatives.
Does virgin have a light user tariff like BT ;)

No light user tariff, but you can use First Telecom (http://www.firsttelecom.com/other-products/cable-saver) for your daytime/evening calls and get cheaper rates. Calls to 0845 numbers are also cheaper.