PDA

View Full Version : Traffic Management again

smallclone
11-10-2010, 21:31
I'm on 20mb connection.

was fine at 7pm. running at 20mBps

I was downloading a large file and stopped it at 3.2GB at 8.50pm

I have not downloaded anything else all day as I've been at work.

The speed I got between 7 and 8.50pm was 1.9mb/s . Very nice.

I go back to the pc at 9.15pm, start it up again, and my download speed is now 30kb/s!!!

And the speed test is 5MB/s.

1) Why have I been traffic managed?

2) Why does the download speed not correlate with the broadband speed (25% of it)

Thanks

Ignitionnet
11-10-2010, 21:41
I'm on 20mb connection.

was fine at 7pm. running at 20mBps

I was downloading a large file and stopped it at 3.2GB at 8.50pm

I have not downloaded anything else all day as I've been at work.

The speed I got between 7 and 8.50pm was 1.9mb/s . Very nice.

I go back to the pc at 9.15pm, start it up again, and my download speed is now 30kb/s!!!

And the speed test is 5MB/s.

1) Why have I been traffic managed?

2) Why does the download speed not correlate with the broadband speed (25% of it)

Thanks

1) 3.2GB + overheads and whatever else = 3.5GB. More comes down the line than just the data you actually want due to things like flow control and any overheads of the protocol you're downloading with. What were you actually using to download? Would be useful to know?

2) Don't know, guess that would depend where you're downloading from and what you're using - please clarify.

smallclone
11-10-2010, 21:53
large files from the likes of megafileupload and UTorrent etc.

I suppose I could have used DU meter or whatever but I thought I'd be well in the limit with 3.2Gig.

Obviously not.

Kymmy
11-10-2010, 21:55
You've gotta remember that transfering any data not only includes the data but also handshaking requests/answers between the two sites.. Not sure of the exact figures but normally you can add on about 10%

smallclone
11-10-2010, 22:02
Thanks. I guess I was just that tiny bit over-zealous then.

Will know for next time

Thanks

Ignitionnet
11-10-2010, 22:03
large files from the likes of megafileupload and UTorrent etc.

I suppose I could have used DU meter or whatever but I thought I'd be well in the limit with 3.2Gig.

Obviously not.

UTorrent especially is expensive on overheads. Remember that you are not just downloading the file but dealing with tracker communication, communicating with peers, etc.

Safest route to avoid the management is buy the stuff instead of downloading it ;) or just keep out of those hours if the stuff isn't available to buy / watch / listen to / wait for release for legitimately.

v0id
11-10-2010, 22:39
UTorrent especially is expensive on overheads. Remember that you are not just downloading the file but dealing with tracker communication, communicating with peers, etc.

Safest route to avoid the management is buy the stuff instead of downloading it ;) or just keep out of those hours if the stuff isn't available to buy / watch / listen to / wait for release for legitimately.

How are you suppose to access those digital files that you've purchased without downloading them ;)

smallclone
12-10-2010, 00:04
Fair enough. But I do download alot of stuff that isn't available to buy sadly. Mostly old sporting footage etc.

AndyCalling
12-10-2010, 00:49
Heh, I like downloading old radio shows from way back. Ones that never made CD. They don't come to much though.

I recently downloaded an old tv show though which never made it to DVD. I did it at night, and it went at full speed on my 20meg. Very fast for all the episodes. I suggest you set the timer on your torrent package.

Ignitionnet
12-10-2010, 12:08
Fair enough. But I do download alot of stuff that isn't available to buy sadly. Mostly old sporting footage etc.

Yeah I hear you. Tons of archive stuff that would make a few quid but sits gathering dust :(

jagsman
12-10-2010, 12:12
I have found that the traffic management only really kicks in if you over download after 4pm. I have the 10mb, which only allows 3gb's between 10am and 3pm, but as i am writing this I have downloaded nearly 8gb's. This never used to happen, but it looks as though they have relaxed the limits before 4pm.

pip08456
12-10-2010, 12:43
I have found that the traffic management only really kicks in if you over download after 4pm. I have the 10mb, which only allows 3gb's between 10am and 3pm, but as i am writing this I have downloaded nearly 8gb's. This never used to happen, but it looks as though they have relaxed the limits before 4pm.

Going to be slow going tonight then. :D:D:D