PDA

View Full Version : Is there a backup dialup narrowband connection?

AndyCalling
11-10-2010, 19:29
I'm wondering if there is, because I'd love to set that up just in case. When my broadband went down before (on VM National berfore I went over to VM Cable) I could have really used a ready-to-go narrow band connection to look up phone numbers and handle email.

If it is available, is it free over a virgin telephone line? Do they cut your account after so many months of disuse? Since it would be a backup it shouldn't be chargeable on a VM line for broadband customers and obviously shouldn't expect regular use (once every few years at most I hope, once every 5 to 10 if I'm lucky). Still, best to ask as policies can be weird.

Thanks for your help cable chums! :)~

Stuart
11-10-2010, 19:45
As far as I know, no ISP offers that for free. It may be that they offer a paid service, but, TBH, if that's the case, you may be better off looking for a cheap ADSL connection to use as a backup.

pip08456
11-10-2010, 19:46
Or you could look at mobile options.

Peter_
11-10-2010, 19:51
I would go with a PAYG wireless USB stick as you can use it anywhere if required for emergencies or even on holiday.

lowei
11-10-2010, 20:25
I was offered a backup dial-up access for free when my connection went down for over a week back in January

daxx
11-10-2010, 21:32
here ya go

http://www.free-dialup.net/

theoldbill
11-10-2010, 21:36
No!!! Don't pay for sitting on an 0844 number, try this (it's 0845 so a lot cheaper);

http://www.uk2.net/free_dialup/

daxx
11-10-2010, 21:37
ty :) thats the one i was trying to think of

that other was the first one my friend 'google' threw up

AndyCalling
11-10-2010, 22:48
Nice. It costs the call, but you don't get shut down because you never use it as you don't have an account, you just use the generic logins.

Not ideal, VM should offer a free service to BB+Phone customers from their cable line, what do they have to lose? Folk would only ever use it when their BB was down.

Still, this will do nicely in the absense of VM. A good emergency provider on a number you know the cost of who won't terminate your account because you don't need one. And no subs.

Thanks for the advice chums! :)~