PDA

View Full Version : Do Virgin media not want the business

uno
11-10-2010, 18:15
I have recently been part of a team at my employers in setting up a new office for 250 staff with a call centre and admin staff.

Along with a couple of the companies IT guys we had a meeting with Virgin business to see if could provide us with the services required which all the other vendors didnt see to have any problems with and I dont think we were asking too much really as wanted

Contact centre with phone lines for 100 agents non voip as worries over quality. Another 80 lines for admin staff with direct dial extensions as well as 5 backup standard telephone lines

At least 50mb connection for use as internet connection and vpn into desks and then a 100mb leased ethernet connection back to our head office for all other data traffic including all off site backup. We have leased the building for 5 years so would have signed contract for min of that period.

After thinking it over Virgin business said No Sorry we cant help you as the Virgin network finishes 1.8km from our offices front door. We were amazed at this as surely they could easily reclaim the outlay of cabling our business up for use as well i would suspect possibly pick up other business from other offices in the next door development

Welshchris
11-10-2010, 18:30
its not as easy as that, they will also need permission to dig up the public highway and relay + causing delays on the public highway so chances are it maybe a waste of time for them just for the point of putting services to one building.

Ignitionnet
11-10-2010, 19:30
After thinking it over Virgin business said No Sorry we cant help you as the Virgin network finishes 1.8km from our offices front door. We were amazed at this as surely they could easily reclaim the outlay of cabling our business up for use as well i would suspect possibly pick up other business from other offices in the next door development

I'm sure that if you're happy to pay the install charge they'll be able to install, or was this the sticking point, that you didn't want to pay a pretty massive install charge?

I get what you're saying but if they don't feel the business case is there they won't build.

RobboEdin
11-10-2010, 20:02
I have recently been part of a team at my employers in setting up a new office for 250 staff with a call centre and admin staff.

Along with a couple of the companies IT guys we had a meeting with Virgin business to see if could provide us with the services required which all the other vendors didnt see to have any problems with and I dont think we were asking too much really as wanted

Contact centre with phone lines for 100 agents non voip as worries over quality. Another 80 lines for admin staff with direct dial extensions as well as 5 backup standard telephone lines

At least 50mb connection for use as internet connection and vpn into desks and then a 100mb leased ethernet connection back to our head office for all other data traffic including all off site backup. We have leased the building for 5 years so would have signed contract for min of that period.

You asked a number of companies to bid for your business and Virgin Business decided not to bid.

I see nothing wrong with that. It makes your decision simpler.

uno
12-10-2010, 09:20
If the supply of services costs had of been good then yes we would have been prepared and expect to pay an install charge I do understand that they would have had to dig up the footpaths to do it but for the services we require how many cables would they need to lay ?

As stated previously and what we tried to get over to the sales rep was this office is part of a new business park with 15 offices with the capacity to have over 1400 staff here, Tescos and Dominos pizza obviously see it as a good business case as they have both setup branches on edge of business centre

pip08456
12-10-2010, 10:32
And BT will already have services to the site so won't have the costs of planning permission etc, so will be able to undercut VM quite easily.

uno
12-10-2010, 10:58
Well in fact BT openreach have not done the business park yet at Dominos have just found out as they fitted all the shop out recruited and trained all staff at other stores and then found out that there was no communications connection so Openreach had to do it but took 5 or 6 days

pip08456
12-10-2010, 12:46
Did they have to dig up the roads or was the ducting already in??

uno
12-10-2010, 15:45
They had to dig up the footpath/grass and then fed cabling down it. It seems that Virgin obviously felt is wasnt worth their while which is a shame their services looked best fit for what we required and the sales guy had sold it all us now having to have meeting with supplier to see who can offer us the best BT based product but quite a few want an ip contact centre but have all internal phones already and have quality worries over service

pip08456
12-10-2010, 22:33
Try Eclipse then which will be tailor made to your requirements. Digging up a footpath/grass means BT were already there. VM obviously not.

http://www.eclipse.net.uk/about-eclipse/

uno
13-10-2010, 14:32
I will send Eclipse an email but looking at their website it seems like they are more of a small business ISP rather than a communication facilities provider which is what we need. BT have come back to us with a quote and a promise of FTTP based services when the service launches in our town in Jan but awaiting replies back from a few resellers including Affiniti and Easynet