PDA

View Full Version : sending email from registired domain

richardford1976
10-10-2010, 10:23
Hey all,

Need some assistance if possible, My father has a domain regisitered which he has had for a few years now, I set his email up him the other day and it is receiveing email OK. problem is it wont send email, If he sends a email he gets a 550(relay error) message when using smtp.virginmedia.com as his outgoing email server, We have spoken to his domain company also and tried there server settings to luck either. Is there anyway i can get this working as im stupmed now.

cheers in advance
Richard

Kymmy
10-10-2010, 11:02
Is your father trying to send directly via the VM servers or through the domain host?? If direct and he's connected to a VM connection then there shouldn't be a problem... If instead through a domain server then it needs to be set up to send directly and not to relay through VM

richardford1976
10-10-2010, 11:43
mmmmm im not sure, i had a look at the config and his incoming(pop) is set to pop.demon.co.uk and his outgoing is set to smtp.virginmedia.com, i noticed when he checked his VM webmail that it logged into a interface thats dissimilar to gmail, im presuming thats because of the migration a few months ago. apparently there is a option in there to allow relaying which im going to try and find.

Regarding the second part of your message, The domain is registered with uk2.net, My thoughts were that he would need to get pop and smtp servers off this company and send directly with the domain company, He had exactly the same issue with Sky but luckily we found him a unofficial SMTP server he could relay via and it worked a treat.

Ignitionnet
10-10-2010, 12:01
mmmmm im not sure, i had a look at the config and his incoming(pop) is set to pop.demon.co.uk and his outgoing is set to smtp.virginmedia.com, i noticed when he checked his VM webmail that it logged into a interface thats dissimilar to gmail, im presuming thats because of the migration a few months ago. apparently there is a option in there to allow relaying which im going to try and find.

Regarding the second part of your message, The domain is registered with uk2.net, My thoughts were that he would need to get pop and smtp servers off this company and send directly with the domain company, He had exactly the same issue with Sky but luckily we found him a unofficial SMTP server he could relay via and it worked a treat.

Unofficial as in an open relay the owner didn't realise was being used per chance? ;)

He can't relay through Virgin because it would be incredibly stupid of them to let anyone who feels the need relay anything they like through their mail servers. If he wants to use the domain he would need to get SMTP hosting from someone.

Anyone doing their job as a mail host properly should not allow him to send through their servers, it's a security thing and extremely wise.

Kymmy
10-10-2010, 12:06
From what I've read the father is on a VM connection.. Surely VM SMTP will allow relay from someone on a VM IP??

Ignitionnet
10-10-2010, 12:51
From what I've read the father is on a VM connection.. Surely VM SMTP will allow relay from someone on a VM IP??

The VM servers use SMTP authentication. They are not interested in relaying for any domain apart from their own.

richardford1976
10-10-2010, 13:00
OK i suspected he may not be able to do this, The unofficial SMTP server that he used while on sky was set up by the sky support staff, It wasnt a case we was using someones server without there knowledge. It was well known within the sky community, I suspect he will need to purchase SMtp hosting.

Kymmy
10-10-2010, 13:52
The VM servers use SMTP authentication. They are not interested in relaying for any domain apart from their own.

But surely if he's on a vm connection using SMTP AUTH the server should relay??? I know that earlier this year people were complaining that it would rewrite the X-from: field for non-VM domains but does this mean that VM have shut down all relaying for domains other than VM even for people using their own connections?? That's very poor if they have as a lot of people use 3rd party addresses on a vm connection???