PDA

View Full Version : Upgrade

swiftflo
08-10-2010, 18:12
3 weeks ago I upgraded my Virgin Broadband to XL -20mb. With this I was supplied with a new router/modem. Since installing it & using the wireless facility I have had problems. My internet connection was slow & very often dropped out. Yesterday I contacted Virgin via 150 & was connected to an Indian tech. support man. He talked me through altering the settings on my router/modem, this made no difference but completely knackered my wireless connection.He then suggested I contact Applecare as it was my computer that was at fault, this I did (expensive phone call) & Apple confirmed that there was nothing wrong with my computer but it was the router/modem.I am now unable to alter any of the settings on the router/modem such as doing a reset & reinstall. So the router/modem will not work wirelessly. What a load of W***ers the tech.support are.
Today I have managed to get to speak to a Queens english speaking tech.eng. & hopefully will have a service eng. here Monday.
I should also point out that before I spoke to the Queens english speaking tech. I spoke to another Indian tech. & as he did not know what the problem was he suggested I ring another number, but that was a pay for advise number, I soon told them where to get off.

vmfriend
08-10-2010, 18:14
So, is the intention of your post to let off steam or to request some help :dozey:

pip08456
08-10-2010, 18:18
TBF possibly both, off shore get customers in this state more than enough times.

A pinhole reset should set the modem/router bacvk to factory settings and you'll be able to access it again to do a manual set up.

adzii_nufc
08-10-2010, 19:00
Just out of interest do you get a free wireless adapter when upgrading because if not (In my experience) I've had a torrid time in the past with 20mb and a crap adapater bought elsewhere.

I bought a crappy £15 one when I upgraded to 20mb way back and it was awful to be fair.

just to clarify

9/10 times the router is perfectly fine with the settings its at.

Connect everything up via Ethernet run a speedcheck and make sure this is a wireless only issue and not a serious matter.

If that comes up fine ^ try these simple checks

Check the adapter
Move the modem/router.

swiftflo
09-10-2010, 12:15
So, is the intention of your post to let off steam or to request some help :dozey:

Both - thanks.

---------- Post added at 12:11 ---------- Previous post was at 12:08 ----------

TBF possibly both, off shore get customers in this state more than enough times.

A pinhole reset should set the modem/router bacvk to factory settings and you'll be able to access it again to do a manual set up.

Tried that but when I get as for in setup as password, it will not accept the new password that it was changed to.

---------- Post added at 12:15 ---------- Previous post was at 12:11 ----------

Just out of interest do you get a free wireless adapter when upgrading because if not (In my experience) I've had a torrid time in the past with 20mb and a crap adapater bought elsewhere.

I bought a crappy £15 one when I upgraded to 20mb way back and it was awful to be fair.

just to clarify

9/10 times the router is perfectly fine with the settings its at.

Connect everything up via Ethernet run a speedcheck and make sure this is a wireless only issue and not a serious matter.

If that comes up fine ^ try these simple checks

Check the adapter
Move the modem/router.

Yes you get a new router/modem free. It does seem to be a wireless issue as the router/modem works okay when connected by cable to the imac. Also my iphone will not connect to the router/modem.

vanman
09-10-2010, 12:31
Tried that but when I get as for in setup as password, it will not accept the new password that it was changed to.

i take it that a new router/modem may be called a hub
if you have reset back to factory settings
the hub password would be changeme

swiftflo
09-10-2010, 12:49
i take it that a new router/modem may be called a hub
if you have reset back to factory settings
the hub password would be changeme

Yes sorry it is called a hub.

The hub will not accept the new password, I know the password is correctly entered as it is the same password I use regularly. I noticed the Airport icon in the top bar of the screen was flashing just now so I got my iphone to the imac and went through the wifi connection setup,the iphone connected up then as quickly lost the connection & the airport icon had turned grey.

pip08456
09-10-2010, 13:40
Of course it won't accept the new password if you've done a pinhole reset. You've gone back to factory settings and need to start afresh.

swiftflo
09-10-2010, 14:02
Of course it won't accept the new password if you've done a pinhole reset. You've gone back to factory settings and need to start afresh.
Thank you for the reply. However I do realise this and have tried all the original factory settings.
If I am entering the wrong settings how come my iphone connected momently whilst the Airport icon was flashing black then disconnected.

vanman
09-10-2010, 14:38
if you have reset as you say you did log in will be admin and the password will be changeme as they are the default.
here is how i setup my phone . on in the first pic go to wireless settings
enter setup access.
pic 2 enter phone mac number press add then apply.
hope this will help ya. ;)
oh and put Encryption Key from the hub on to your phone

swiftflo
09-10-2010, 14:51
if you have reset as you say you did log in will be admin and the password will be changeme as they are the default.
here is how i setup my phone . on in the first pic go to wireless settings
enter setup access.
pic 2 enter phone mac number press add then apply.
hope this will help ya. ;)
Thanks for your reply, however I cannot get anywhere no matter what I try.I have tried the original password that is on the hub, the new password but cannot get anywhere. It seems that the hub is not carrying out a reset when I poke a clip in the hole. I have tried inputing 192.168.1.1 into my browser but cannot get on to it. I think maybe I will have to hope the service engineer turns up Monday.

Peter_
09-10-2010, 15:07
Thanks for your reply, however I cannot get anywhere no matter what I try.I have tried the original password that is on the hub, the new password but cannot get anywhere. It seems that the hub is not carrying out a reset when I poke a clip in the hole. I have tried inputing 192.168.1.1 into my browser but cannot get on to it. I think maybe I will have to hope the service engineer turns up Monday.
The IP for the Hub is 192.168.0.1 as per the black sticker to the left of the red sticker on the hub.

vanman
09-10-2010, 15:11
The IP for the Hub is 192.168.0.1 as per the black sticker to the left of the red sticker on the hub.
and as shown at the top of pic1 & pic2
http://192.168.0.1/

Peter_
09-10-2010, 15:13
and as shown at the top of pic1 & pic2
I know but I was correcting his quote as it has been known for people to use the actual Netgear IP which he posted because it says Netgear internally.;)

vanman
09-10-2010, 15:19
I know but I was correcting his quote as it has been known for people to use the actual Netgear IP which he posted because it says Netgear internally.;)
sorry not knocking ya.
i pointed that out as an also :handshake

pip08456
09-10-2010, 16:08
Whatever you are using to press the reset button needs to be held in place for at least 30 secs for the reset tom perform.

Just in case

swiftflo
10-10-2010, 12:35
Got up this morning & switched the imac on, I could not believe my eyes. I have done nothing more to it as I am waiting for the service engineer to come tomorrow, there it was the Airport icon was flashing, I have wireless connectivity & my iphone is connected.

swiftflo
11-10-2010, 15:16
Further to the problem. This morning I switched the imac on and no wireless connectivity, went back an hours later and there it was - connected.

swiftflo
12-10-2010, 11:22
Okay Virgin Eng. came & fitted new hub, this appears to be working okay at the moment. I have noticed however that the wireless signal to my iphone 8mtrs away is quite weak in comparison to a Apple router I borrowed from a friend.
Still the eng. told me that if i had any further problems they would change the hub for a separete modem & router.

pip08456
12-10-2010, 12:44
Still the eng. told me that if i had any further problems they would change the hub for a separete modem & router.

That would be the way to go.

whizzard
12-10-2010, 18:12
Okay Virgin Eng. came & fitted new hub, this appears to be working okay at the moment. I have noticed however that the wireless signal to my iphone 8mtrs away is quite weak in comparison to a Apple router I borrowed from a friend.

The signal issues are most likely due to the hub having an internal antenna. Did your friend's apple router also one internally or external to the device?

swiftflo
13-10-2010, 16:31
The signal issues are most likely due to the hub having an internal antenna. Did your friend's apple router also one internally or external to the device?

My friends router had an internal antenna.

However, this afternoon Virgin Media rang to ask if I was having anymore problems so I mentioned the weak signal to my iphone 8mtrs away, he said we can alter that by changing the channels, which he talked me through doing - guess what the hub would not work wirelessly at all after that. I then tried to put the hub back to the same channel it was on before he gave his advice)?) . I am being sent a separete modem & router now as this hub will not work at all wirelessly.