PDA

View Full Version : Why cant i have a Media Hub?

Sierra662
08-10-2010, 15:10
Hi all.....

I joined VM in January this year and have the XL package. At the time of instalation we were given a wireless g router because they were out of n's. So, while browsing the VM website i noticed that on this page http://shop.virginmedia.com/broadband/broadband-extras/wireless-routers.html they offer the hub free to XL customers. I called them and they want £60 for the hub when they've short changed us from the start.

Rant over!! :mad:

Thanks for listening.

Steve.

pip08456
08-10-2010, 15:53
Contact them again for the router to be exchanged as you should've been given a wireless N router.

Only new customers get the hub.

Peter_
08-10-2010, 16:10
Hi all.....

I joined VM in January this year and have the XL package. At the time of instalation we were given a wireless g router because they were out of n's. So, while browsing the VM website i noticed that on this page http://shop.virginmedia.com/broadband/broadband-extras/wireless-routers.html they offer the hub free to XL customers. I called them and they want £60 for the hub when they've short changed us from the start.

Thanks for listening.

Steve.
The hub has only been available since early August and only new customers or existing 10Mb customers upgrading to 20Mb get the hub for free.

If you were promised an N Router then the should be notes on the account about this, so call up and they should send one out.

It is also worth noting that even if you call up and demand a hub or you will leave that the only option left to them is to let you leave, this is very strict and monitored and if any agent gives one on a retention deal they can find themselves in serious trouble.

vmfriend
08-10-2010, 16:43
I upgraded from 10mb to 20mb about a month ago and I wasn't given a hub.

It was probably around the beginning of September.

pip08456
08-10-2010, 16:58
I upgraded from 10mb to 20mb about a month ago and I wasn't given a hub.

It was probably around the beginning of September.

Then it is worth you contacting them if you want one. My mate has just upgraded to 20Mb and recieved one.

jetset
08-10-2010, 17:04
Hi all.....

Thanks for listening.

Steve.

The Hub is not exactly without problems - See the Help & support forum ....

You may not want 1 just yet......

vmfriend
08-10-2010, 18:04
Then it is worth you contacting them if you want one. My mate has just upgraded to 20Mb and recieved one.

I am not saying I want one, all my equipment works just fine, I was just pointing out that I hadn't been given one even though I upgraded after August.

My view is that if the existing equipment works then VM shouldn't be expected to replace it unless is develops a fault.

pip08456
08-10-2010, 18:24
I agree and I prefer them to be separate. I thought you were bemoaning the fact you didn't get one.

gadge
08-10-2010, 19:22
The Hub is not exactly without problems - See the Help & support forum ....

You may not want 1 just yet......

Could be just a batch of them we have had one a couple of months now without problems.

vmfriend
08-10-2010, 19:43
I agree and I prefer them to be separate. I thought you were bemoaning the fact you didn't get one.

No not at all, just pointing out that upgrading doesn't necessarily result in a new hub being provided, not in my experience anyway.

JPoll
08-10-2010, 20:27
What does it do that the separates don't?

I expect I'll get one when the 100mb upgrade is available later in the year.

pip08456
08-10-2010, 20:37
What does it do that the separates don't?

I expect I'll get one when the 100mb upgrade is available later in the year.

Nothing it's just one unit instead of two.

Analogy

I have a printer for printing. I have a scanner for scanning. I would not have a printer/scanner.

Scanner breaks you have to replace the full unit, printer breaks you have to replace full unit.

JPoll
08-10-2010, 20:54
Nothing it's just one unit instead of two.

Analogy

I have a printer for printing. I have a scanner for scanning. I would not have a printer/scanner.

Scanner breaks you have to replace the full unit, printer breaks you have to replace full unit.

That's pants then, lol.

So it just looks "cooler".... :erm:

pip08456
08-10-2010, 21:09
That's pants then, lol.

So it just looks "cooler".... :erm:

You got it in one! :D:D:D

Jonnymeg
08-10-2010, 21:19
The OP got the equipment he should have got.
The white g routers were standard on XL.
The N routers were originally for 50mb only but were given as the G's were in short supply.

He was not short changed. The G is ok for XL.

Ben B
08-10-2010, 21:22
Yeah but at the time the OP would have got a separate N router with broadband XL, I got one when upgrading from L in August last year, so they should be entitled to a router, but not a hub. I don't see the attraction of the hub though, it limits you from buying a superior router from yourself should you want to.

pip08456
08-10-2010, 21:26
See post 2 Ben but you are 100% correct!

Jonnymeg
08-10-2010, 21:42
See post 2 Ben but you are 100% correct!

Far from 100%.

As an installer i can tell you that i was installing Netgear g's untill around march. If you got an 'N' you were lucky as there were no 'G's.
Until the white g's were phased out the 'n's were only supposed to be for 50 meg.

Matth
08-10-2010, 21:51
I guess the single hub unit ought to use less power than a pair of modem and router, and if it's on 24/7, it adds up.

pip08456
08-10-2010, 22:04
Far from 100%.

As an installer i can tell you that i was installing Netgear g's untill around march. If you got an 'N' you were lucky as there were no 'G's.
Until the white g's were phased out the 'n's were only supposed to be for 50 meg.

Not so, the wirless N router was supposed to be the one installed then. There was a shortage of them and the wireless g's were used as a stop-gap.

Jonnymeg
09-10-2010, 08:36
Not so, the wirless N router was supposed to be the one installed then. There was a shortage of them and the wireless g's were used as a stop-gap.

Sorry pal, you are wrong.

When virgin first issued routers 20meg was all they needed so they used netgear g's. There was no 50meg.
When 50meg came online we were taking out 2 varieties of router, and N for 50 and a G for everything else.
Eventually the G's were discontinued.

Now i am not going to argue any further but as an employee who was installing them i am giving you the facts. Looking at your profile you state you are a painter and decorator so i am just wondering how you would be better equipped than me to state this.

Boabyboy
09-10-2010, 23:44
Hi folks,

Just on the subject of choice of personal equipment. I too like to have a choice of choosing my own modem/wireless router than being forced to use a ISP specified modem or router. If I was a manufacturer of modems/routers or any other form of networking equipment I too would not be happy when an ISP have exclusive control of a rival product to serve to their customers.

To to this day, I missed my trusty Motorola SB5100 cable modem!:(

Jonnymeg
10-10-2010, 09:17
Hi folks,

Just on the subject of choice of personal equipment. I too like to have a choice of choosing my own modem/wireless router than being forced to use a ISP specified modem or router. If I was a manufacturer of modems/routers or any other form of networking equipment I too would not be happy when an ISP have exclusive control of a rival product to serve to their customers.

You are right that its not good for other brands and it is also a little disappointing for more informed customers. I would not want a hub personally.
However for an ISP it is heaven. Having only one product makes support much easier.

Peter_
10-10-2010, 09:22
Hi folks,

It is much better from a Support viewpoint to only used the equipment supplied by Virginmedia as it makes my job a lot easier as I know what the supplied equipment is capable of and all the settings required to make the equipment work.

Now if as you say let people buy their own equipment, how would we support it, with guesswork or spend 5/10 minutes on the call googling up the specifications of the 3rd party equipment only to find that they have installed some 3rd party firmware so that information is useless.

If you want to support that kind of equipment then get a job elsewhere.

I am not talking about purchasing a 3rd party router at this point either and as yet you cannot succesfully use such a device with the Hub.

JPoll
10-10-2010, 09:24
You are right that its not good for other brands and it is also a little disappointing for more informed customers. I would not want a hub personally.
However for an ISP it is heaven. Having only one product makes support much easier.

So if my router breaks do Virgin replace it? I was led to believe I own the router by the engineer, so I assume I would. In fact he let me keep my white g one when I upgraded from 20mb to 50mb when he gave me the black n.

The Hub however remains the property of Virgin Media? As my modem does?

Peter_
10-10-2010, 09:28
So if my router breaks do Virgin replace it? I was led to believe I own the router by the engineer, so I assume I would. In fact he let me keep my white g one when I upgraded from 20mb to 50mb when he gave me the black n.

The Hub however remains the property of Virgin Media? As my modem does?
The Hub as with a standard modem remains the property of Virginmedia at all times as it is a modem as well as a wireless device, all modems including the Hub are registered on your account by us and you cannot use any 3rd party modems to obtain a connection.

All stand alone routers we supply also remain the property of Virginmedia while under the the 2 year warranty period, during which time we offer full technical support and replacement of faulty equipment.

JPoll
10-10-2010, 09:37
Thanks Masque and Jonnymeg.

Slightly confused as to why the router remains the property, Masque, of Virgin Media. It's a free gift when you sign your contract. So if you complete your year, it's yours to keep is it not?

Anyway still reinforces my opinion that customers are better off with standalones.

adzii_nufc
10-10-2010, 09:43
Many different ISP's offer no router at all!

T&C's

Where we hire equipment to you it will be our property at all times and we may need to alter or replace it from time to time. For us to do this, we will need reasonable access to your home.

keep the equipment under your control (for example, you may not sell it, lend it or hire it out to anyone else, put it up as security for a loan or mortgage, or allow it to be seized under any legal process against you). You must not move our equipment from your home without our permission;

Peter_
10-10-2010, 09:43
Thanks Masque and Jonnymeg.

Slightly confused as to why the router remains the property, Masque, of Virgin Media. It's a free gift when you sign your contract. So if you complete your year, it's yours to keep is it not?

Anyway still reinforces my opinion that customers are better off with standalones.

From the wireless information section of the Virginmedia website.
Wireless router and adapter are included in your package. Equipment remains property of Virgin Media.

Virgin Media's Broadband service and includes a 2-year service warranty (for wireless router, wireless USB adapter and wireless laptop card) but this is dependent on you remaining a Virgin Media Broadband customer and using the Broadband and wireless equipment that we provide to you and recommend you use during that 2-year period.

JPoll
10-10-2010, 09:46
From the wireless information section of the Virginmedia website.

AH, thank you again. The 2 year warranty is excellent.