PDA

View Full Version : virgin modems question

manofdevon
08-10-2010, 07:40
At the present time I have the Atlantic Scientific 2100 modem, virgin support said they would send me a new or later model modem, I cannot get my router TP-Link to operate properly with the current modem.

In addition I have another problem, I cannot sign in to Virgin media with my Windows7 /32bit Toshiba laptop (2nd computer). It states I need Java and my laptop will not load Java from the web.

Is that because the old modem cannot work with the latest Java? Or what is the problem does anyone know?

vmfriend
08-10-2010, 07:54
In relation to your Java problem, I doubt it is a modem/router problem, what version of windows are you running and what browser do you have installed?

Do you get any error messages when the install fails ?

manofdevon
08-10-2010, 08:04
The laptop has windows 7 homeedition and running 32 bit.

Java and adobe flash will not install to my i/e8. when trying to sign in with ie8 and virgin, but OK signing in with firefox and chrome.

However firefox and chrome will both operate with bbc iplayer whereas i/e 8 will not because of above problem.

Toshiba will not support any questions re above programs and stated that they cannot answer support questions, its a bit of a roundabout.

Peter_
08-10-2010, 11:49
If that modem is a Scientific Atlanta EPC2100v2 then it is a 20Mb capable modem and should not be causing any issues with the connection.

Have you tried a direct connection to the modem to rule out the TP Link router as you may just get the same issues with a new modem.

vmfriend
08-10-2010, 13:43
The laptop has windows 7 homeedition and running 32 bit.

Java and adobe flash will not install to my i/e8. when trying to sign in with ie8 and virgin, but OK signing in with firefox and chrome.

However firefox and chrome will both operate with bbc iplayer whereas i/e 8 will not because of above problem.

Toshiba will not support any questions re above programs and stated that they cannot answer support questions, its a bit of a roundabout.

I vaguely remember my brother in law having a similar issue with ie 8 in xp, I installed manually and it worked ok, it is not related to Windows 7 afaik, I have a feeling it is related to ie 8, you could try uninstalling and reinstalling ie 8.

There is a manual installation option on the java website, you could try that.

manofdevon
08-10-2010, 14:39
Thanks vmfriend, that I think will have to be the route I take. Is it easy to uninstall i/e8 (it came on a preloaded laptop supplied by Toshiba)

pip08456
08-10-2010, 14:58
Why not just not use IE8? Of the 3 it's the worst IMHO.

vmfriend
08-10-2010, 18:09
Thanks vmfriend, that I think will have to be the route I take. Is it easy to uninstall i/e8 (it came on a preloaded laptop supplied by Toshiba)

I would uninstall IE 8 and then re-install it as I dis-agree with the previous poster I think IE 8 is a nice browser to use.

To uninstall in Win 7 :

1. Start, Control Panel, Programs and Features, Turn Windows Features on or off.
2. Once the list populates locate Internet Explorer 8 and un-check the check box and click on ok.
3. If you had a previous version installed i think it reverts back to that but it sounds as though your PC came pre-installed with IE 8 so this will leave your PC without a browser (you mention you have Firefox)

You can choose to keep firefox or re-install IE 8. The re-installation may resolve the java issues you are having.