PDA

View Full Version : 50MB Nightmare !

Corpy
05-10-2010, 20:19
So to get to the point ! 13weeks ago i took the dive and Placed my Order with Virgin for there XXL and Phone line ! after Orange screwed me over and put me on things i never asked for ! not to mention i was paying for 20mb and would only ever get between 5.4mb-6.8mb with about 0.3mb upload ! So after i got them to back trace 9 months of charging services i never asked for then handed me back just over £200 ! happy days !!

So 5 weeks latter the day my 50MB virgin was coming ! 1pm comes around no one turns up ! 2pm i call Virgin to see what time they would be here and they said about 3-4pm ! so i waited ! 5pm Still not here ! I phone Virgin back up only to find out they will not be turning up because they need to do a re-pull !

Was not happy at all as you can tell ! So i had to phone back up orange tell them i want to carry on my contract ! I got back into touch with Virgin to tell them there service was poor and i had no letter or call to inform me what was going on ! After been put onto the manager of there care department ! he offered me a dongle free of charge so i could get online !!! hmm i said no its just not going to be good enough !

So i was then told i need to wait 4 weeks ! because they have to apply to the council to do the repull !

So 4weeks goes by and today was the day my 50mb Virgin was been put in ! at last i thought !

2 days before i had a phone call to confirm ! The women told me they would do the re-pull in the morning and the tech guy would be out between 1-6pm !
and also a letter to confirm this :-)

So today at 12.30am 2 guys turn up to do the re-pull and then decide they would install it all for me as they was there so i thought great ! so they go away phone there manager and tell them they will do the install !

So 50min later its done ! 50mb in and phone line it ! they tested it only to find the single was well well over 50mb :) around 80 i said thats fine with a smile * but they said no it has to be with in a grey band the box wont support the strength ! :-( ! so after they sorted that out it was done great ! so off they go ! So i set up all my activation to get a message !!! you media box has crashed !!! ok restart ! still not working !!

Contact virgin via phone ! 45 min on the phone been passed around 8 diff departments ! had to hang up twice and call back !!!! as you can tell at this point i was not happy ! At last i get on the phone to a women who speaks English !!! *CHEERS* She informs me the box they have left does not support 50mb only 20mb so it will not work ! GREAT and they have no modems or dongles or routs in stoke ! for 5 more days !!! So after she placed the order ! for the items !

I have to add !!! i never paid any install feee for 50mb :-) i told them i would only take it if they dropped all the fees :-) dont get if you dont ask :-p !!

So after this long call i ask to speak to somone to sort this out ! so her manager comes on the phone !!!

He says sorry about 50 times bla bla bla !!! but good news i got 6 months FREE !! I was happy with this !

After i get off the phone !! there is a knock at my front door !

Virgin van out side And guy with a modem to support 50mb ! at last !!!

So i now have 50mb working ! 13weeks later with 6month FREE no install fee ! and a dongle !! just waiting for the wireless and N dongle and its all good :-) !!!!

Speed test done ! on 7 diff sites on laptop and Imac all showing over 50mb ! Between 50.1-50.9mb with a 1.9mb upload :-)

So in the end im very happy as long as the rest arrives tomoz :-) !!!

Sorry its a bit long loads to explain :)

IM SO SO SO GLAD i kept my Full Sky World in the house !!! with all the issues i had with the phone line and internet !

Peter_
05-10-2010, 20:22
Are you that guy that falls in the dodah and comes up smelling of roses with a handful of gold.:D

Nice one.;)

For future reference 50Mb Support number is 0800 052 0431.

Corpy
05-10-2010, 22:38
lol ! Well like i said if you dont ask them you dont get lol ! i did ask for 12 months free ! but 6 was good enough lol ! for messing me around ! just thought i would put a post up !

I done some looking around i have seen people saying that have 50mb but speed test showing them at around 5-24mb lol not very good ! Like i said to the guy i pay for 50mb so i want 50mb not 49.9mb LOL !! ill keep track of the speed daily ! but i can say i am now happy :-) its not dropped below 50mb all day so fingers crossed ! thats why i hated Orange you pay for a service witch your not getting ! 20mb from them i use to only get 5-6mb whats the point lol i may as well only had the 10mb service !

We will see what the speed test is like tomoz when all the wireless is set up and ill switch on everything in the house that uses wifi and then do a few speed runs :-) see how it copes with that

Peter_
05-10-2010, 22:42
lol ! Well like i said if you dont ask them you dont get lol ! i did ask for 12 months free ! but 6 was good enough lol ! for messing me around ! just thought i would put a post up !

I done some looking around i have seen people saying that have 50mb but speed test showing them at around 5-24mb lol not very good ! Like i said to the guy i pay for 50mb so i want 50mb not 49.9mb LOL !! ill keep track of the speed daily ! but i can say i am now happy :-) its not dropped below 50mb all day so fingers crossed ! thats why i hated Orange you pay for a service witch your not getting ! 20mb from them i use to only get 5-6mb whats the point lol i may as well only had the 10mb service !

We will see what the speed test is like tomoz when all the wireless is set up and ill switch on everything in the house that uses wifi and then do a few speed runs :-) see how it copes with that
It is an up to 50Mb service so do not ring up if it dips as anything over 40Mb is classed as acceptable and nothing you could say would change that.;)

Corpy
05-10-2010, 22:52
hehe but i enjoy calling virgin up so much and been handed around to 6 diff people who dont know whats going on :-p lol

just check 59mb

https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2010/10/68.png (http://www.speedtest.net)

Peter_
05-10-2010, 22:58
hehe but i enjoy calling virgin up so much and been handed around to 6 diff people who dont know whats going on :-p lol
Oh we on the 50Mb know our stuff so ring the number and be surprised.

Have a look at what you have accepted in the Terms and Conditions.

http://shop.virginmedia.com/the-legal-stuff/terms-and-conditions-for-cable-services.html

B About the services
5. Virgin Broadband and the interactive services on your Virgin TV

c. Due to the nature of the Internet, we cannot guarantee specific levels of performance for the Internet access.

Corpy
05-10-2010, 23:04
ahh ill look at them when i need to :-) im just happy i have internet ! dont know how i could have gone without for 24 hours lol !

Peter_
05-10-2010, 23:06
ahh ill look at them when i need to :-) im just happy i have internet ! dont know how i could have gone without for 24 hours lol !
What you need to read is in that post above, the link is where it is from.:)

Corpy
05-10-2010, 23:10
oh yeh yeh i know that ! I looked well into it before i moved to virgin and check with my mates who have the 50mb and they said they never get less then 45mb on a bad day :-)

Corpy
06-10-2010, 21:49
Ok just a update from yesterday !

I installed the Wireless 802.11 N (DRAFT) £75 my arse !!! after looking on the internet its about £20 !

So installed on the IMAC via Eathernet 51+MB
Imac wifi N 25ft from rout - 39mb or less

Laptop 1 test 15ft Same room as wifi rout only 51% strength ! i actually pic up next doors at 79% strength ! and laptop is around 20mb !!

thats all i have checked atm !!! so it looks like ill be going out to buy more up to scratch routs !!! on the box it says up to 300ft indoor well im only 15ft away in the same room andits poor poor poor conection speed !

Check after with laptop and imac hardwired into modem with out rout ! both at 52mb+ then hardwire through the Dlink both at 45mb !!!

So im putting it down to poor D-LINK 802.11n (DRAFT) and poor D-link dongle 802.11N (DRAFT) £75 Caugh caugh LIES :-) !!!!

thats my view !

Looks like its a trip out to spend over £100 on a good Modem/Wireless Dual band

Corpy
06-10-2010, 23:51
New update !

Ok A new issue came up due to the poor signal strength were the Imac lost all connection to the D-link and would not connect since then i have been in to the D-link advance settings and change Auto Chan to 11 and change Auto band from 802.11 b,g,n to 802.11n Only and i not have 89% strength but still poor Download speed

Never had so many Issues with my internet !

My old Orange £10 modem/wifi gave out a better signal strength and that was 802.11g

But all is good just contacted Virgin for the 24th time in 3 days !

There sending out a tech guy with 2 wireless routs to see witch works better !

I did ask for the Belkin Dual band 802.11n but Virgin dont have a contract with them yet :-( !!!

Oh and the guy i spoke to on the phone Pure comedy !

He asks me to open run !

I said let me guess you want me to run CMD and do IPCONFIG !

Goes all silent ! erm yesss i tell him i have already tried everything ! to witch he just said erm trying switching them off and back on !!!!

No offence to anyone that works for Virgin But were do you find these Idiots ???

Peter_
07-10-2010, 06:27
What accent did the guy have.

I take for some reason he quoted the expected retail price of the router which is of little point as we buy them in bulk.:D

I hope you are not believing your cached avatar speed.:D

Corpy
07-10-2010, 11:24
I cant remember there has been so many people i spoke to !

But i have had 2 texts today from No-reply telling me i have some items coming between 3-6 and another text saying i have items coming between 6:42-8:42

So i dont know what there sending because i already have everything !

And i know you guys buy in bulk because you get in dirt cheap but ive looked online and there bottom end cheap anyway lol ! i spoke to my mate who has Virgin media 50mb and he said not to use the Dlink just put it in the bin lol !!

will let you know later what turns up !

quick check today ! both imac and laptop are only getting 14mb max

pip08456
07-10-2010, 11:27
You'll get another DLink as they exchange like for like.

Peter_
07-10-2010, 11:56
And i know you guys buy in bulk because you get in dirt cheap but ive looked online and there bottom end cheap anyway lol ! i spoke to my mate who has Virgin media 50mb and he said not to use the Dlink just put it in the bin lol !!

It does its job and the majority of people are happy with it, you can always buy your own though.;)

Corpy
07-10-2010, 17:52
Ok new update !!! After been on the phone to virgin today for 3hours and 22 min ! and speaking to the manager of tech support for 45 min !

The issue is !! and MASQUE i hope you may be able to help !!!

Laptop 100% signal ! only 19.04mb ! N-dongle
Laptop 49% signal 10ft away 12mb ! N-dongle
Laptop via rout hardwired 35mb !
Laptop hardwired to modem 50+mb

Tested on Speedtest.net, speedtest.bbmax and on gamefiles.virginmedia.com

Imac 92% signal Airport ex - 48mb
Imac hardwired modem - 52mb+

now this is were its strange i use my IMAC in bootcamp for online gaming such as LFS and so on

Imac bootcamp XP hardwired modem 50+mb
Imac bootcamp XP wireless Built in airport ex 256 KBS yes i said it KBS ! not even 1mb

I will try next imac booted in XP with Dlink dongle N(draft) and update with report !!!

My issue is why does my old 802.11g in the same place on my old conection give me 8.9mb mac on a 10mb conection and the so called 50mb with N 802.11N (draft) only gives me 256KBs on the same system ?????

Oh and MASQUE i have a new one for you phone up today 50mb tech support !

Guy on the phone ! it could be a issue with were the modem is located !

I explain its in the same place as the old 802.11g !

He goes on to say and i "quote"

Do you have a fish pound !!!

He said oh that could be the reason why !!

So i said but my Fish pound is about 100ft down the Garden LOL " i knew all along he ment fish tank but still"

It goes very silent !

I said do you mean Fish TANK !

To witch he replied yes but there both the same !!!! hahaha !!!

MASQUR how much do you want to set up the system !

ok now i have spoke to 24 tech guys/women in 3 days ! and they all say the same thing !

one told me to change channel to manual and 11 !

one told me no no no no it must be on auto !

another one said no put in on manual. i said and on 11 they said yes !!!

now i phoned up and they say try it on 13 not everyone has a 13th channel lol dont i feel special !!! i know what they ment !! before there is a sarcy comment not all wifi modems have that many channels lol !!!

but at this point can you see my frustration !!!

3 days into the install and im at 256kbs i may as well go back to old school dial up 54.6kbs or even 24kbs lol ! good old days with the dial up tone never had a issue back in them days !!

now look cant even get what you pay for !!! :-)

fingers crossed SKY have there 20mb in the area before the 4 weeks is up and ill change over straight away !!!

I have never in the last 10 years had so many issues with internet !

All i want to do is play my games / ! witch i cant because i get LAGGG then kicked ! because they think im cheating with a lag switch !! cant even watch sky movies online or bbc iplayer because it buffers every 4 secs !

and facebook and so on take about 2 min to load !!! i feel like i have gone back in time !!!

I spent 15 min in total trying to get onto this forum to put this message and i will now wait about 2 min for the post to be applied !!!!

Virgin customer service - POOR ! (no offence to people that work there freedom of speach)
Virgin service - Shocking ! 50mb more like 256KBs

Im sure you all have a great pension scheme but FFS employ people that for one ! speak good english !! that people understand !

2. speak up on the phone some people sound like they whisper !

3. stop reading a script from the screen !!! employ people that know what your saying !!!
always good to ask them a question and if they go ermmm hang on while i put you on hold !!! just hang up they dont have a clue !!!

This is basic

what do you need to work at virgin !

I have a MCSE can i please have a job were i can look at the screen and talk about stuff i dont know LOL !!!

MASQUE please explain to me why why why i have been stuck with all the idiots lol

the only person i have spoke to who is sorting it all out and taking it higher up and getting me my money back is helen she is the only person there who knows my case !!!

and its got to the point were i can get her to phone me back when i phone up with in 10 min :-) !!!

tbf she sounds kinda hot LOL !!!

but yeh MASQUE please i need to know why ! just my luck im the 1 out of 1000 that has ever issue under the sun ! and nothing works and its bugs me !!! i want i want i want :-) !!!

On and just a add on !!! if you dont know what LFS is its LIVE FOR SPEED if you liek racing games you should buy it :-) online simulation good fun ! if you have steering wheel !

vmfriend
07-10-2010, 18:24
To be honest I don't believe that Masque posts in these forums in an official capacity, I would suggest posting on the official Virgin Media support forums, they may take a day to reply but they do generally reply to queries.

Having said that, I am sure if Masque feels that he can be of assistance he will let you know.

Out of interest what is an MCSE ?

Peter_
07-10-2010, 18:49
Out of interest what is an MCSE ?
http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en/us/certification/mcse.aspx

---------- Post added at 18:49 ---------- Previous post was at 18:48 ----------

Below is exactly how I would set up the D Link Router on a call should take no more than 10 minutes and it should work.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

D LINK ROUTER SETUP

The first thing you need to do is a pinhole reset if you look on the back of the router the is a grey reset hole, you take a pen and press it into the router while powered on for 15 seconds..

Then you wait for the lights all to turn green on the router then you look for a D Link network which is unsecured and you then connect to it wirelessly.

Then you go go online and in the address bar you get them to put 192.168.0.1 and press enter/return, you will then be asked for a username which is admin and password which you leave blank, and then click login and they will be presented with a Dlink screen on the left chose wireless setup and then go to manual setup at the bottom and you will be presented with the setup screen

At the top we have Wi-Fi Protected Setup also known as WCN2, remove the Enable Pin tick and then go the Wireless Network Settings section and go to the box with the SSID which by default will be dlink and change it to one of your own choice.

Then click on the security options drop down and choose WPA/WPA2 wireless security enhanced, then the Network key box will appear and in here they enter a password with a minimum length of 8 characters then click save settings and wait for it to finish.

You can now look for their newly named network and connect using their password.

You should now be connected and it should have taken between 5 and 10 minutes to achieve this and the disk will make a nice coaster.

-------------------------------------------------------------

Agents supporting 50Mb are supposed to be ring fenced and you just speak to us, after 2000 of an evening you can get anyone, but during the day you should get to speak to one of my colleagues.

vmfriend
07-10-2010, 18:52
Thank you Masque, I guess I could of Googled, I typed before I thought.

Peter_
07-10-2010, 18:55
Thank you Masque, I guess I could of Googled, I typed before I thought.
It gives a good insight in to what the letters mean though.;)

beasty54
07-10-2010, 23:03
If your modem is a DIR615 then google "DD-WRT" and give the router a nice new firmware. Mine was pathetic untill i flashed it with DD-WRT firmware about 6 months ago, not had a problem since and get about 49mb when using the Wireless N dongle.

Wild Oscar
08-10-2010, 11:16
[/COLOR]If your modem is a DIR615 then google "DD-WRT" and give the router a nice new firmware. Mine was pathetic untill i flashed it with DD-WRT firmware about 6 months ago, not had a problem since and get about 49mb when using the Wireless N dongle.

Same here .. works well!

Corpy
09-10-2010, 11:40
Hey yeh thanks for the information i already had all the D-link set up it was just on the one Imac/bootcamp it had a issue !

after checking into it the Bootcamp side with XP did not have the new drivers to enable N wifi it only had the update for B/G Apple con you like that ! they put airport extreme in with B,G,N but you only get B,G and they make you pay for firmware to enable N lol so thats sorted now but still only getting about 20mb :-(

So been out and got my self a nice new modem :-) that fingers crossed should improve the speed doubled ! as its 400% stronger signal dual band :-) will let you know how that works !!

Ill get my money back from sell the Items !

4*D-Link N dongle £12-£25 each
3*D-link rout £33-£55 each
3*Virgin Modem < no prices found so ! £4.99

And just for a laugh i had another text today telling me i had a item from virgin coming between 1-4 lol !!

now i dont know why they keep sending items out they had not asked for them back

pip08456
09-10-2010, 11:44
And how do you expect to connect if you sell your modem????

Peter_
09-10-2010, 11:50
So been out and got my self a nice new modem :-) that fingers crossed should improve the speed doubled ! as its 400% stronger signal dual band :-) will let you know how that works !!

Do you mean a router as any self bought modem will not work and we will not add it to your account either.

Cromulent
09-10-2010, 13:30
If your modem is a DIR615 then google "DD-WRT" and give the router a nice new firmware. Mine was pathetic untill i flashed it with DD-WRT firmware about 6 months ago, not had a problem since and get about 49mb when using the Wireless N dongle.

Do Virgin get arsey if you do that? I thought about doing when I got it installed but held off for a bit.

Peter_
09-10-2010, 13:32
Do Virgin get arsey if you do that? I thought about doing when I got it installed but held off for a bit.
How can we know what you have done to the router.

pip08456
09-10-2010, 13:38
You can do it to the router just don't expect support from VM if you hit problems.

Cromulent
09-10-2010, 13:40
How can we know what you have done to the router.

I was under the impression that Virgin asked for it back at the end of the contract.

pip08456
09-10-2010, 13:43
That's OK give it back. All I said was don't expect any support if you use the DD-WRT software on it.

I don't think they bother asking for them back though as a lot of ppl will be in serious s**t, have you seen how many are being sold on ebay???

beasty54
09-10-2010, 20:27
You can do it to the router just don't expect support from VM if you hit problems.

I wouldn't be worried about that, you'll solve 99% of problems by searching google, you'll learn much faster as well.

Corpy
17-10-2010, 00:06
Hi guys been a while since my last update !

So since my last post ! i have been sent out many Dir-615's and dwa-140's !!! so i used the dir-615's they sent and went out and got over 80ft of Rj-45 cable ! flashed 3 of the Dir-615's as repeaters on the firmware ! some improvement ! but still poor and loosing connection !!!

So after 5 days and speaking to over 30 techs ! who all said the same thing !

"please turn off the modem and turn of the wifi" " now turn it all back on " change your channel bla bla bla !!! i told one tech guy i can see all the channels people in my area are on that i can detect lol !!! he was amazed !!! he actually said ! " what you can see the channels how ? " hmmm !!! good tech guy lol !! what degree does he have !

anyway i put it onto chan 13 :-) everyone i know by me ! who is on virgin is on chan 11 !!! hmm i think they have been on the phone to virgin eveytime i phoned up they told me to put it onto chan 11 LOL !!!

anyway i know what i need !!!

I need 5GHZ gigabit-Rj-45 system ! with a wifi dish ! that will support 802.11N1+300MpS 2400ft << up to date! .not 802.11 Draft 2.0 << 2006 old school ! = 160mps 150ft !!

Anyone who does not know every wall that is 1ft wide brick you will lose 5mt of signal !

So after speaking to a high up manager after been on the phone for a hour ! Again PFTT and been given wrong numbers bye idiots !

It gets sorted !! turns out there is a issue on the server and tech guy will be out on tue ! at last it only took 5 days and 8 hours on the phone ! !!!

But good news again !! no only have virgin pretty much covered my cost for the year in compensation and credit ! and the issue is still been ESCALATED because of how much i have been messed about !!!

The manager agreed !!! that if im paying every month i should be supplied with the correct items to do the job for my home !

So i told him what i needed ! "Cough" 412.98 pound system ! so he said and i quote " ok ! when the tech guy comes out if he agrees ! we will credit your account !

He will agree because i have print outs and detailed information to boggle his mind !!! lmao !

So by my calculations thats about 2 years FREE now in credit :-)

So moving on from all my ISSUES !!

Good news for anyone looking at 100mbs and the 200mbs trials !!!

After all this i asked the Manager some questions !!!

So 100mbps will be out very soon !

and 200mbps is still in trials no much on thats !!! so next questions !

Me - for the 100 & 200 mbps will you supply a 1000mbps gigabit system

Reply - yes !

Ok now

For the 200Mbps

ME-Whats system will you supply for this !!! most wifi system for EX now 802.11N1 will do 300mps over 1000ft open space !!!

Reply i cant give anything for 100% just yet but because you are a valued Family customer you will be one of the 1st to know !!!

( i have only been with Virgin 6 days strange )

So my next question !!!

Me- for 100-200mbps will you scrap ! 802.11N and go to "WHITE SPACE" !!!!!!!

Ahhh thats got him

Reply ! Yes we are looking at White space and will try to implement it into are new package coming out soon !!!

For those of you who dont know what WHITE SPACE is. its a use of TV white space
some call it 802.22 but people call it many things atm ! But just for short ! it will give you over 1 Mile "yes 1 MILE distance signal" and mega mega fast rate !!! VIA wireless your looking at 700+MBpS and thats wireless from up to a MILE + now that is amazing !!!

ATM most people struggle to get 10MBps from 40 ft :-)

Soooo yeh breaking news for people that did not know :-) this will be also all published soon with OFCOM !!! oh noooo who works for them

! print screen :-P !

Always have to after a post some forum admins like to remove !!!!

pip08456
17-10-2010, 00:18
2 Years free credit????????? Can you send me something you've been on?????

Corpy
17-10-2010, 00:27
no been on anything lol !!! over 400 pound credit for cost of system almost 1 years !!!!

Plus look at the 1st posts ;-) !!! at the end of the day if you dont phone up and complain with the riot act from ofcom and given virgin and letter recorded DEL 14 days to reply :-) you wont get ;-) !!!! any Blue chip company will give you credit !!!! if you dont ask you dont get !!!! and if you take them to court via there contract !!!! they will settle out of court !!!!

just for example !!!

If you slip on a grap in sainsburys !!! hurt your self !! take them to court !! they will give you 15k pay off out of court !!! they dont like it !!! <<< yes i use to work high up there worse job ever !!! but its true !!!! CEO is JUSTIN KING !!! use to go to SOLIHULL SCHOOL !!!

And at the end of the day even the tech guy said the system wont supply my property i dont pay every month well i dont hahaha !!! credit !!! for a shocking service !!!!

pip08456
17-10-2010, 00:29
Well why not just get back to us in 2 years time.

Ignitionnet
17-10-2010, 09:00
This gave me a nice giggle on a Sunday morning. Ta.

Corpy
20-10-2010, 13:04
Hey Guys At last i have all the Network sorted :-) with no drop outs and better transfer rate

So After some looking up on the internet i could only find information saying the DIR-615 can not be used as a wifi rep and you had to use a Rj-45

But there was a way in the end :-)

So after flashing both my DIR-615 H/wD4 f/w 1.00Vg with DD-WRT alot more advance settings :-)

so I set up both SIR-615 even end of the house :-) and it worked perfect! tested moving around the house with my laptop and it auto switched the the Wifi modem with the best signal ! TX power was set to 50

But as many people may know setting up a system like this can have a huge drain on your bandwidth ! so after doing a few tests of PC/laptops using both dir-615's at the same time Download was well POOR

So i scrapped that idea and just went for 1 Dir-615 with dd-wrt

so after changing 100's of settings on my dir-615 i started to get some were

For me i found that channel 13 2.4 ghz , Channel width 40mhz , Tx Power 84mW < just some of the few things i changed !

Now i get 54-100% signal before it was 0-100% mainly around 19% !

I have notice now as well since changing all my settings the Rate is 300Mbps before it was at 133Mbps

! so yes atm its working very well :-) for now !

Just a shame the Dir-615 doesnot have gigabit ports :-(

But the next test im goingto do now seeing as the 2nd DIR-615 is also flashed with dd-wrt im goingto build a WIFI dish :-) and see how many networks i can find just for fun lol !

:-) so yeh i did speak to the tech guy when he was out because there is a issue with my modem the power levels at 14.2 or summit they said and it should between 4-8 summit like that lol but i said it works fine witch he was shocked about but :-) yeh but the tech guy told me to just try flashing modem and playing with settings !

The guys on VM call centre told me they cant give me any information on advance settings for a Rout so yeh spent many hours messing around :-)

but they said the New Super 50mb Hub will be out soon so im already down to get one !

I asked him what the specs were for e.g I asked if it was 2.4 or 5ghz or N1 or Ndraft or 300mbs or gigabit ports and so on ! but they had no information ! he said they told get told that information they only get told the specs for what people will need on there comps :-(

Bit pants really i wanted to know the specs to see if its work waiting for them or going out and buying a new one !

Because with SKY Anytime+ rolling out in the next few weeks on the box :-) it would be nice to have a modem then will support gigabit or dual band for streaming HD movie and so on :-)

So yes after a week of pains and so on :-) i think all my issues are sorted :-)

whoop

chrispuk2004
20-10-2010, 13:21
This stuff is so insane, it cant possibly be all made up.

Sirius
20-10-2010, 13:24
This stuff is so insane, it cant possibly be all made up.

Bet it is :LOL:

Corpy
20-10-2010, 14:04
Bet it is :LOL:

were am i going to make up all this information from ?

All i have done is posted all my issue's and relayed what i hve been told my VM and what they have done !

Nothing made up about that !

Corpy
20-10-2010, 20:34
Right ok anyway moving on !

So seeing as i had 3 Dir-615's I have been messing around and taken it all apart !

Atm all i did was make some new antennas from copper wire stripped from electric cable ;-)

Worked find got much better signal after testing with the DD-wrt set up :-) few pics below but i would like to know now is about hooking up the Biquad :-) to the DIR-615

I have the Dish ready and all the other parts witch ill start building tomoz and i will post pictures :-)

I just want to know now how im going to connect the Biquad dish to the DIR-615 maybe via a Pigtail conection !

But on most Routs you just take the arial off and screw the Pigtail on !

But as most people know and as you can see on the pictures the DIR-615 Antenna's dont un-screw ! but they are pretty easy to take off !

Now on the Inside of the DIR-615 the Wires for the Arials are soldered !
But there soldered next to a very very small male socket with thread on them ! one by each ill point it out on the pictures !

After take the Cover off there is a Black sleeve on the inside of each arial !
then you use needle nose to push the black clip in and pull arial out !
https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2010/10/15.jpg

The arial is actually in 3 parts !

As you can see here ! the actual Arial wire is about 50% smaller then the arial sleeve
https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2010/10/16.jpg

Just some warning ! on the picture you will see a silver tip ! gentle loosen off !
you can then slide the whole cable out from your DIR-615 from the solder point !
https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2010/10/17.jpg

Ok just another shot from the inside ! You will see were both Arial wires run to on the board ! now this is were there is a connection next to both with a screw thread ! This is were i want to know if i can use a very small pigtail !! not 100% sure yet can find any information on the Google :-) For a DIR-615 - WIFI dish
https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2010/10/18.jpg

This the 3rd part of the arial
https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2010/10/19.jpg

So as i was not sure what connection i need for the inside of the DIR-615 to hook up to a CO-axe WIFI dish i decided to make some new arials with Copper twisted into a coil :-) to twist the copper i used a long screw :-) just for fun untill i find a way to hook the wifi dish up
https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2010/10/20.jpg

And this shows you the 1st dir-615 and 2nd dir-615 :-) the 2nd dir-615 with the copper arials actually had 15% better signal strength :-) this was just for fun while i find out the connections for wifi dish
https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2010/10/21.jpg

So if anyone has any information on the DIR-615 for the connection on the inside would be great :-)

also find out the connection on the inside would allow you to mode the DIR-615 so you can put new connections for the arials to make it interchangeable :-)

So yeh information please on what connection type :-) ill try get a close up picture on the connection :-)

enjoy looking !!

Also i will install some copper heat sinks inside and maybe a fan :-) maybe :-) !!

lowei
20-10-2010, 21:38
Because with SKY Anytime+ rolling out in the next few weeks on the box :-) it would be nice to have a modem then will support gigabit or dual band for streaming HD movie and so on :-)]

Hope you have sky broadband for your Anytime+ because it wont work with Virgins ;)
Movies are SD only

Corpy
20-10-2010, 22:06
Hope you have sky broadband for your Anytime+ because it wont work with Virgins ;)
Movies are SD only

I have already spoke to sky because i have been with them for 12 years !

I told them its pathetic that you have to have a Sky broadband 20mb pack !!

I said untill you offer 50mb i am not switching and when you do get 50mb Virgin will be on 100mb !!!

And i said its just stupid !! because sky anytime + is the same as the sky player online !!! now with a laptop or a media PC hooked up to your tv via srial or HDMI you can view all and download all the sky player /anytime + and watch them still with out the need of sky broadband !!!

So i told they guy there is no diff its just a con to get people to give them more money !

Now i already have the sky world pack so i have 3D but to pay more for there service is just shocking !!!

So untill they decide to drop that stupid idea because no one signs up because they can still via all the same content online !!! stupid !!!!

lowei
20-10-2010, 22:36
I'm certainly not considering trusting Sky with my net connection even tho it works out more expensive for me.But saying that iam on sky world so i could get internet for free off sky.But i would need a phone line off them as well.

Corpy
20-10-2010, 22:53
Yep ! you would need your phone line connecting witch tbf bt line works out cheaper then virgin phone line !!! plus i noticed since i switched over from BT to Virgin i lost my Caller ID so i phoned them up they want another £2:50 a month plus £2:50 to block withheld numbers !!! was not happy about that ever !! so when my house phone rings now i dont know who it is !!! pointless having numbers stored in my phone does not show up any more and i dont know if its a stupid sales person !!!! GRRR

But yes Sky with there ADSL line poor download and peek times ! thats why i switched to virgin !!!

But i also said to the women you dont even support Sky 20mb in my area !!!! so how can you offer anytime+ when i dont have it in my area !

I told her a one off fee of £10.99 for a HDMI cable and ill download and watch as much sky player as i want on my tv with out your pathetic broadband !!! via my laptop !

It just does not make any sense !!! trying to sell someone a service to be able to use another service im sure there is a law on that !!

Sky Anytime+ with Sky 20mb at peek time ! maybe 5mb download - HD movie 1.4gb lol good luck waiting to watch that !!!

Sky Anytime+ Virgin 50mb :-) peek time smooth sailing 3 min to download :-)

But anyway the women took my feed back and told me to leave feed via there site as there having a meeting in 8 days were they ywill look at the feedback for the Anytime+

But the reason is you cant have Anytime+ with another ISP is because of sky's new term and cons !!!

But just a trick for you !!!

Phone up sky ! i was on sky multi room with World pack witch is about £71.48 ! Call them tell them your thinking about leaving because your on virgin XXL and virgin offered you there TV service cheap because you have there broadband !!!

ask what they will do about this !

Sky dropped my bill by 50% :-)

So if you have not already done that they have a go ;-) my mate did the same !

But anyway going back to the subject above about the DIR-615 do you know anything about connecting a WIFI dish ?

Ignitionnet
21-10-2010, 00:15
But the reason is you cant have Anytime+ with another ISP is because of sky's new term and cons !!!

Actually it's a technical issue but never mind.

The idea of Virgin crediting a customer's account to the tune of over 400GBP because the wireless wouldn't work very well is odd, as is the idea of Sky cutting a bill in half while keeping the same package. That would be a pretty unique thing indeed.

I have asked a contact within Sky about your claim of receiving 50% from your bill and will give a reply back shortly as to whether or not this is a standard deal.

Corpy
21-10-2010, 00:19
Actually it's a technical issue but never mind.

There is people saying all sorts of diff thing to why it is !

Ever way i dont even have SKYBB in my Area ! the only option for SKY in my area is 2mb Hence why everyone is only Virgin 20mb-50mb LOL !!

Ignitionnet
21-10-2010, 00:41
I have already spoke to sky because i have been with them for 12 years !

I'm struggling a bit to reconcile this statement with that you apparently left school in 2005.

Corpy
21-10-2010, 00:44
I'm struggling a bit to reconcile this statement with that you apparently left school in 2005.
2005 :S born 1965

Ignitionnet
21-10-2010, 00:49
Your Facebook profile disagrees in quite a big way. You may want to change its' security and privacy settings.

Corpy
21-10-2010, 00:51
Your Facebook profile disagrees in quite a big way. You may want to change its' security and privacy settings.

I dont have Facebook :S i think your looking at the wrong person

Ignitionnet
21-10-2010, 10:13
I dont have Facebook :S i think your looking at the wrong person

I may be, although 45 year old people usually don't write like you do.

Second the URLs from your images - http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k27/billicp/20102010340.jpg

http://www.facebook.com/billicp

How odd. Worked for Sainsburys, lives in Solihull.

http://www.youtube.com/user/billicp shows age as 22, maybe a typo, maybe age increase to ensure over 18 when registered.

That guy appears to write in the same way as you, posted comments on a YT video here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YryoGCuQzBI) with that distinctive !!!

http://upload.bebo.com/Profile.jsp?MemberId=16461380 - age 21.

http://community.sigames.com/member.php/123226-Billicp - age 21.

Billicp writes in the same way on forums as you (http://www.lifestyle-cruise-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&p=3880) and owns the same kind of phone. (http://forum.dailymobile.se/index.php?topic=27447.0)

Using the same Photobucket account. (http://www.theminiforum.co.uk/forums/index.php?showtopic=68012&st=0)

Or it's a huge coincidence and there happens to be someone who uses the nickname billicp, the same as your Photobucket account, happens to also be from Solihull, happens to have also worked for Sainsburys and who happens to write in a very similar way to you in which case I apologise unreservedly.

Chris
21-10-2010, 10:19
pwn3d ... :erm:

Corpy
21-10-2010, 12:09
Well done detective ! lmao

But everything i said is true ;-)

Just sky is in my Dads name ;-) hence why ive had it 12 years ;-)

But did you ever get any information back from sky witch CONFIRMED that you can get your bill cut 50% if you tell them you want to leave to virgin cuz of the diff in cost ???

Because when you have confirmed that witch i can do witch a print screen of the Billing ;-) if you would like i can also scan all my letters for you to prove everything Virgin have done and said;-)

But apart from you been a Detective ! put some of that effort into finding out if you can use a pigtail on the inside of the DIR-615 :-) thanks

Ignitionnet
21-10-2010, 13:10
Yes I got confirmation back from the Sky guy saying that this is unlikely to happen. It would usually only be due to a new customer coming online with a staff referral code so it would be a misuse of the discounting system for a retention guy to apply this to a current customer. Doesn't make it impossible of course, just very unusual.

It is good to see you've stopped confusing yourself with your Dad, even if you do pretend to be him on the phone to Sky, realised you're not 45 years old and remembered that you do have a Facebook profile.

I've no idea or care really whether or not what you've said is true, I just said it's 'very unusual'. Virgin giving six months free and offering an over 400 quid credit on a one year contract isn't the best business. If it's all what you got all power to you.

chrispuk2004
21-10-2010, 13:57
As the mythbusters would say...... BUSTED!

Are you related to that guy telfordcable?!

Corpy
21-10-2010, 14:16
Ill supply you will all print screen later ;-) and confirmation e-mails :-) Just to prove :-)

Ok guys i got some more information on the Anytime+ from SKY

Phone them up and asked them about the whole QOS and ISP's and the reason given out are RUBBISH !

They said they understand that some ISP's offer faster services then SKY and there doing the best they can to put SKYBB in all areas !

Of course i said i would never switch from 50mb -20mb just to get Anytime+

The guy i spoke to actually also had virginBB so he seen my point of view !

So he went off to ask his Tech manager for more information !

What he came back with shocked me !

He said they reason why other ISP's cant use this service is because they have done updates on the SKYBB Modem and SKY EPG were the sky HD box will talk to the SKY MODEM with this so called new updates and its all about the sky FIRMWARE on the modem ! thats why only SKYBB can use Anytime+

Of course i said well what if i had SKYBB 20mb but i was using a BELKIN, NETGEAR, D-LINK modem ! they will not have the SKYBB firmware on the device so there for ! even if i had SKYBB i would not get anytime+ because i use a Belkin modem ! hmmm

They said yes we understand this issue and they know they will be getting alot of phone called from unhappy SKY customers with SKYBB who cant get Anytime+ because they use there own Modem !

So this was clearly a huge mistake on sky's half. Why design the service or system were you need a modem with Anytime+ firmware and Firmware on the HD that will talk to each other !!! all they needed was the firmware on the BOX !

So of course i said if thats the case ! if i use BT20mb I can just plug a sky modem into BT20mb or Virgin 50mb line and clone my MAC and use Anytime+ of course the sky modem would not handle 50mb virgin plus its the wrong connection ! so thats the other downside !

My next question was if its the Sky BB modem F/W how will it ever work for other ISP's on there MODEMS of people with sky on a diff ISP and 3rd party MODEM ? Of course this had no reply apart from there will be loads of issues and phone calls in the next couple of months !!

I think sky will have to revise this idea and start again !

I was also told over the next 3 months people with SKY BB and HD will have Anytime+ as long as they use there SKYBB modem ! the reason why the 1st 3 months will be only for SKY BB is so they can work out the bugs so for e.g if there is a issue sky dont blame virgin or BT and virgin or bt dont say no its not use its your shoddy Anytime+ setup and so on !

BUT

I was told after the 1st 3 months they will start looking into getting Anytime+ to other ISP's and you should get it 6 months+ after the ! but still there is going to be the issue with your modems not having the correct F/W and if like me you use a modem then into a Rout with DD-WRT firm ware they cant update that !

So even though they said you will get it after 6months i dont see this happening with the way they have set the service up ! !

So anyone with SKY BB and your not using you SKY MODEM ! best plug it back in !!!

Anyone on BT 20mb test it with a SKY Modem see if you get Anytime+ to confirm

But the guy was pretty honest on the phone the reason why its been set up in this fashion is just to get people to switch over to SKYBB !

Witch we all know is the real reason !

But there you go Thats the real reason !

You need a SKY BB MODEM with the correct F/W so best sell your 3rd party modem if you want Anytime+

:-)

Also he gave me some more information !!! with this new service you will get Widgets/Apps on you box for ! Iplayer, Facebook and so on !!! of course these will not be there straight away ! but they will be on your HD BOX !!! a nice touch ! :-)

---------- Post added at 14:16 ---------- Previous post was at 14:15 ----------

but also i would like to talk about the DIR-615 now and the connections on the inside !

Ignitionnet
21-10-2010, 14:51
It's about QoS. With Sky Broadband they can ensure the end to end experience by reserving bandwidth on their network right across to the modem. The last thing they want is for people to watch their shiny new VoD service and for it to buffer.

This requires a person to be on Sky Broadband, the service right now very simply won't work to anyone not on a Sky Broadband connection, end of discussion. There won't be a load of calls generated, people who try Anytime on a non-SkyBB connection will simply be told that it is required at this time.

Quite impressive how you manage to get all this commercially sensitive information from the call centre, more odd still that it sounds vaguely feasible, but is actually totally wrong. If I were you I'd phone again, everything you've said is total fiction.

pabscars
21-10-2010, 14:58
but also i would like to talk about the DIR-615 now and the connections on the inside !

Fire away, I've got my popcorn, I aint going anywhere :D

pip08456
21-10-2010, 15:16
Fire away, I've got my popcorn, I aint going anywhere :D

Likewise! :D

If not informative it is at least entertaining.

Sirius
21-10-2010, 15:38
Likewise! :D

If not informative it is at least entertaining.

This has to be the best case of Walter Mitty (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walter_Mitty) syndrome i have ever seen :LOL:

I have my deck chair in place, Some cold ones in the fridge, And some tissues for wiping away the tears of laughter.

pip08456
21-10-2010, 16:30
I just hope the Mods stay away and don't lock it!

Stabhappy
21-10-2010, 17:22
Jesus, if I had £400 credit on my account I might be able to afford the finer things in life like food or warmth.

Not to worry, glad to be paying my bill so virgin can supply with you endless routers and credit which is for the most part only earned by your incompetence.

pip08456
21-10-2010, 18:04
Jesus, if I had £400 credit on my account I might be able to afford the finer things in life like food or warmth.

Not to worry, glad to be paying my bill so virgin can supply with you endless routers and credit which is for the most part only earned by your incompetence.

Bitchy or what???:D:D:D:D:D:D

It's worth it for the entertainment value!

Stabhappy
21-10-2010, 18:15
After shelling out the premiums for 50meg only to almost lose my job due to something as trivial as internet being down today (5meg upload upgrade) I think I've earned the right to be a tad annoyed when someone manages to bleed a stone for £400 when half the issues are impatience or downright incompetence. As you can probably see, I don't think it's very fair :P

pip08456
21-10-2010, 18:33
TBF if your job was dependant on an internet connection then surely you would have a back up in place even if it were only a mobile dongle or would this come down to downright incompetence??

If you have read the thread you would see that no-one actually believes him and we look forward to seeing the screenshot of bills and emails he's promised.

Not getting at you but just pointing out best practice.

Sirius
21-10-2010, 20:18
After shelling out the premiums for 50meg only to almost lose my job due to something as trivial as internet being down today (5meg upload upgrade) I think I've earned the right to be a tad annoyed when someone manages to bleed a stone for £400 when half the issues are impatience or downright incompetence. As you can probably see, I don't think it's very fair :P

:clap:

jb66
21-10-2010, 20:22

I don't think it's fair to use the argument of loosing your job as you have a residential service not a business service

Stabhappy
21-10-2010, 20:23
It's not like I'm asking Virgin for £400 as compensation here. I'm merely stating that if I'm coming across as rude, it's because I've got a good reason to be annoyed.

pip08456
21-10-2010, 20:38
It's not like I'm asking Virgin for £400 as compensation here. I'm merely stating that if I'm coming across as rude, it's because I've got a good reason to be annoyed.

And that reason would be?

a) almost lost job due to internet being down (if employer requires you to have a connection at home then they should provide it.)

b) looked at a numpty's thread and believed it.

There is a third

c) I'm self employed and rely on my internet connection for work but I won't pay for a business line nor have any backup in place.

Sirius
21-10-2010, 20:39
TBF if your job was dependant on an internet connection then surely you would have a back up in place even if it were only a mobile dongle or would this come down to downright incompetence??

If you have read the thread you would see that no-one actually believes him and we look forward to seeing the screenshot of bills and emails he's promised.

Not getting at you but just pointing out best practice.

I look forward to a demonstration of photoshop skills :LOL:

pip08456
21-10-2010, 20:48
I look forward to a demonstration of photoshop skills :LOL:

Don't we all!!!:D:D:D:D

Stabhappy
21-10-2010, 21:03
And that reason would be?

a) almost lost job due to internet being down (if employer requires you to have a connection at home then they should provide it.)

b) looked at a numpty's thread and believed it.

There is a third

c) I'm self employed and rely on my internet connection for work but I won't pay for a business line nor have any backup in place.

I have a backup via tethering on my phone. Due to time constraints (read: troubleshooting the line) I didn't have enough time to even react to the issue.

Please, just drop it. It's not important.

chrispuk2004
21-10-2010, 22:58
What happened to the screenshots you were uploading tonight?

Chrysalis
22-10-2010, 01:19
not that sky need QoS their LLU network is excellent :)

Sirius
22-10-2010, 10:51
What happened to the screenshots you were uploading tonight?

:LOL:

Bet we dont see them :)

Sirius
25-10-2010, 19:47
I knew he would not post the so called evidence. :LOL:

pip08456
25-10-2010, 21:56
I do hope thjis thread doesn't die, it's been so entertaining!

Post the screens Dumbo!!

Ooooops I meant Corpy!! :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

beasty54
25-10-2010, 23:03
Ive not been on this thread for a while but i'm glad i had another look, its a great read :D Corpy must be using all these credits he gets to fund the 5.5k AV Receiver he apparently has.