PDA

View Full Version : DIY cable under concrete - size?

winacar
05-10-2010, 17:29
Hi,
Having pursuaded Virgin Media that my house needn't be 'unserviceable', I now need to cut a long channel in my concrete driveway for them to lay the cable. The Field manager advised me to make the channel about a "thumb's width" and about 4 inches deep. Now I'm about to start chopping up my drive, I want to be sure the channel is going to be wide enough but no more visible than necessary.

Can anyone tell me the diameter of the trunking they use?

Thanks

grim reaper
05-10-2010, 19:58
Can anyone tell me the diameter of the trunking they use?

Thanks

about a thumbs width :D:D

seriously they use plastic tubing of around 1/2 to 3/4 inch in diameter so i would make the channel slightly wider .. say 1 to 1 1/2 inch

winacar
05-10-2010, 20:42
Thanks Grim. I will get to work with my new diamond disc tomorrow... if it stops raining.

jungleguy
05-10-2010, 21:44
hi
Ducting is normally 3 inches diameter I think, and rigid allowing easy re-pulls, you'll need to dig a major trench for this, Conduit is normally half an inch, and flexible/collapsible, normally used when burying cable in the lawn. If your disk cutting tarmac or concrete the cable can be dropped in with no armor (armor being duct or conduit) to protect it, and just re-skim over the top to protect the cable, so thumbs width will be fine.
Hope it stops raining for you

grim reaper
06-10-2010, 17:48
hi
Ducting is normally 3 inches diameter I think, and rigid allowing easy re-pulls, you'll need to dig a major trench for this, Conduit is normally half an inch, and flexible/collapsible, normally used when burying cable in the lawn. If your disk cutting tarmac or concrete the cable can be dropped in with no armor (armor being duct or conduit) to protect it, and just re-skim over the top to protect the cable, so thumbs width will be fine.
Hope it stops raining for you

yes .. the main ducting in the street is 3 inches diameter (this runs up to the little brown junction points in the street) but a smaller bore rigid conduit is used between the main ducting and the wall box .... this narrow conduit is what will be used down the OP's driveway

stick with my original dimensions and you'll be fine

weesteev
07-10-2010, 08:17
yes .. the main ducting in the street is 3 inches diameter (this runs up to the little brown junction points in the street) but a smaller bore rigid conduit is used between the main ducting and the wall box .... this narrow conduit is what will be used down the OP's driveway

stick with my original dimensions and you'll be fine

The duct in the street can vary in size depending on the architecture utilised in the area. Duct size here can either be 96mm or 54mm diameter.