PDA

View Full Version : It would Appear...

saralouise
04-10-2010, 10:05
... I have broken my internet :( I had to unplug everything on Wednesday night as we had bought a new tv stand and needed to reposition everything. I've plugged everything back together and never thought about checking the internet until my boyfriend realised he had a strong wi-fi signal on his iPhone but had no internet access (he links it to the wi-fi)

It appears that we have a local connection but no internet, so I'm guessing that it's not the router and that i've just plugged something in the wrong place. Any one help? Oh and I'm not at home now, at work so I will try suggestions once I get in. Thanks :)

roger skillin
04-10-2010, 10:08
Turn the computer off, unplug the router for 20 seconds, plug it back in and wait for the lights to stabilize then switch the computer back on and you should be good to go, happens with mine if i lose power

saralouise
04-10-2010, 10:11
thanks, i'll give it ago tonight :)

blade85
04-10-2010, 11:00
If you are using wifi for all your internet use, sometimes its to do with the wireless router.

There are a few combinations I usually go through if this happens to me. (in all cases have both the modem and the wireless router plugged to each other as you normally would)

1- Start up the wireless router first. Give it a minute to get everything running. Then plug in your modem to the power source and wait for it to start running. Try opening a web page on your computer.

If that doesnt work:

2- This time first start up your modem, wait...and then start up your wireless router. Again wait for the router to start working (take about a minute). Now try to open up a web page.

if that didint work:

3- For this step you can use any combination to start up. Once both your modem and your wireless router and running, open up the wireless routers settings page on your internet browser (the IP address is usually 192.168.2.1, just put that into the browser and see if a settings page pops up). Now from that settings page, just select restart router. It will again take about a minute..and then should start working.

Its usually one of these three methods that restores my connection :). Hope it helps.

danielf
04-10-2010, 12:09
I've not used a cable router for a while, but it sounds like you may have plugged the incoming internet cable into one of the outgoing ports on the router.

adzii_nufc
04-10-2010, 12:38
to get a local connection the modem/router is booting up fine and is ready but isnt recieving the 'internet'

Like the user said above it sounds like a case of something is plugged in the wrong socket.

you say you disconnected everything so

Just to clarify this is the way mine would be set up.

Coax into modem > Ethernet from modem to Router (Inbound port)

Find on laptop or device > Enter key if any and thats the lot.

Just to double check you have solid ready lights on both modem/router

saralouise
04-10-2010, 12:42
to get a local connection the modem/router is booting up fine and is ready but isnt recieving the 'internet'

Like the user said above it sounds like a case of something is plugged in the wrong socket.

you say you disconnected everything so

Just to clarify this is the way mine would be set up.

Coax into modem > Ethernet from modem to Router (Inbound port)

Find on laptop or device > Enter key if any and thats the lot.

Just to double check you have solid ready lights on both modem/router

From what you said it all sounds right until the Ethernet into inbound port. I wouldnt know the difference from the other 4 ports on the router haha, but this sounds the likeliest, I'll check tonight. Thanks :)

danielf
04-10-2010, 12:44
From what you said it all sounds right until the Ethernet into inbound port. I wouldnt know the difference from the other 4 ports on the router haha, but this sounds the likeliest, I'll check tonight. Thanks :)

There will be a group of four ports and a single port on the router. Your internet cable coming from the modem needs to go into the single port.

saralouise
04-10-2010, 19:04
There will be a group of four ports and a single port on the router. Your internet cable coming from the modem needs to go into the single port.

You were right; I had plugged it into one of the 4 ports. Thanks for the assistance guys :)

danielf
04-10-2010, 23:14
You were right; I had plugged it into one of the 4 ports. Thanks for the assistance guys :)

Pleased to hear you got it working again :)